Even the upgraded alternator.has limits

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #11  
I've used a full floating battery tender for years on everything I have such a bikes ride on mower and Kubota. With the full floating type you never need to worry about "Boiling" the battery and the battery will always be up to full charge when you need it.

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #12  
...current draws is why I used computer type fans for my heater as they draw less than 1 amp and are far more efficient...
Piloon, can you tell me more about your heater? Did you make one or can you buy the computer type fan heater?

Dan/Teg

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #13  
TEG
I obtained a heater from under the rear seat of a school bus.
This was about 6" X 6" X 4"thick and had a regular heater motor with a 4 bladed fan.
Fan and motor was about 5" on top of the core making a big package for my little tractor (like about a 10" high 'box').

By replacing that big heater motor/fan with a 4" x 4" x1" thick compurer 'muffin fan' I greatly reduced the package size as well as those 'muffin fans' are super effective air movers all while drawing less than 1 amp.

That reduced my heater 'package' to a mere 6" high all while drawing less than 1 amp of power.

The actual heater is made by CARTER and listed in current catalogues (with biggish Delco fan).

Hope that helps.

Good liuck!

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #14  
Thanks for the information... My heater will need to be totally electric for an all electric car that we have. We actually used one of those computer fans to expel the gases that come from recharging the battery bank. I'll keep looking around, it doesn't get that cold down here and it's only a 20 minute ride, so it's not a high priority just a hobby/game to make my own for cheap!

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #15  
16v for extended operating periods will literally cook, and boil out your battery. 14v is the norm for a 12v system across the board. You should check the electrolyte level of you battery and top off each cell as necessary. If you have room, a larger, higher capacity battery will be a wise upgrade.

Tim

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits
16v for extended operating periods will literally cook, and boil out your battery. 14v is the norm for a 12v system across the board. You should check the electrolyte level of you battery and top off each cell as necessary. If you have room, a larger, higher capacity battery will be a wise upgrade.

Ithink the alternator was working overtime to charge that battery back up

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #17  

Tim
When alternators are cold they put out higher voltage to compensate for the fact that you just ran the battery down starting the engine. As long as it drops to 14 or so after warm up then you are OK.

When alternators are cold they put out higher voltage to compensate for the fact that you just ran the battery down starting the engine. As long as it drops to 14 or so after warm up then you are OK.

Thank you BOB RIP,Its what i thought .After i charged the battery with my charger and retested it was putting out 14 something.
alan

Well knock me down.Iran the tractor 2 hours and the battery is deader than a doornail Less than 10 amps and that was running:mad:No lights at all last 1/2 hour.Iwas very easy on the electrics ran 4 55 w lights and heater on low and did not run them all the time .Someone said something about having to EXCITE AN ALTERNATOR how do you do that? Igot something going on faulty regulator ???? The system workes fine with the old dynamo,i wouldnt think it was my battery.Ihave my plow truck battery i can install it and try i guess.ANY THOUGHTS????
ALAN

/ Even the upgraded alternator.has limits #20  
Could have a bad cell in the battery. Make sure the belt isn't slipping and the alternator is putting out. My bets are with the battery......

JOhn