Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it!

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
One of my quick attach latch levers is now bent. It looks like I operated the machine with the lever open and sticking straight up, and then caught it against something, driving it against the top of the implement and bending it over that edge. The lever is a zig zag, and the bend is near the middle of the center portion. I added a photo -- it's parked with pallet forks on, and they're pointed straight down.

But I can't figure out how I did it! I can't even figure out how I would do it if I wanted to. Maybe run with it sticking up and try to catch it against a sturdy overhead beam while backing up? I've never moved the machine with the levers up, except when unmounting and mounting attachments.

I think I want to fix it. With the bucket mounted, the end of the lever doesn't clear the bucket, though I can force it over that obstacle by hand. Maybe I can replace it, or maybe I can bend it back, though the way it appears to have been bent wouldn't work in the opposite direction, as there's nothing sturdy on the opposite side of the bend (like there was when I apparently did it). I think if I took a torch to it to heat the spot I want to bend back, I'd burn off the plating and it would rust there.

Can anybody tell me how I might have done this?

Thanks!
F4BD582B-6BC5-49F5-BA62-8AE9C7FBC14A-923-0000005241C02700.png

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #2  
“Can anybody tell me how I might have done this?”

When you hooked up one of your attachments, you accidentally got the locking lever stuck under the cross bar of the attachment, bending the handle back.
Happens to me once in a while.

Last edited:
   / Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #3  
Just get a large bar and pry it back up,
heating will make it much easier.
Just get a can of galvanizing paint if worried about the metal appearance.

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #4  
You ate too many Wheaties? :)

Thanks for bring this up. Yet another thing I need to put on my checklist.

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #5  
I've bent a few. Pain until you fix them

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it!
get a large bar and pry it back up
I can do that, but bending it in this direction will try to bend the pivot bolt and the hinge. Any suggestions on creating a point behind it to bend it against, like the top of the mount must have been in front of it in the first place?

Glad to hear this isn't a unique screwup....

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #7  
Use a pry bar against the forks to get it off the forks. Then slip a piece of pipe over it and gently bend it into place.

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #8  
Just get a 4-5’ metal pipe that fits over the lever and bend it back.
Easy Peezy

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it!
I did bend it back, which wasn't hard at all. But I was worried about where it'd bend, given that going the other way there's no fulcrum over which it bends.

I cut a piece of 4x4 to wedge between the point of the bend, and the cross bar of the loader. It worked pretty well, the lever mostly bending where it was pushing on the end of the 4x4. There's a bit of waviness to the shape, but it's functionally what it once was again.

Thanks!

/ Ever bent a SSQA lever? I can't figure out how I did it! #10  
you'll do fine, seems to me an easy fix. actually imho the real problem to look for is if one lever through use becomes detached while the other is engaged, leading to the cross torque tube being twisted, therefore the mounts become misaligned. happened twice to me, my suggestion is to bungee the levers in closed position to prevent that
you lucked out imho with only a bent lever, happens to the best of us

Last edited: