Ever notice which brand?

/ Ever notice which brand? #1  

Joeinindy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410HST 2000
I see contractors and landscapers everywhere with compact tractors and it seems like 9 out of 10 are using Kubota. For me that was part of the reason I went with Kubota over N/H or Deere, I liked a few of the features on the N/H like the hood and the seat but the build quality on the Kubota just seems better. Not trying to yank any N/H or Deere owners chains just wanted some feedback on how others made their mind up on which brand to buy.

/ Ever notice which brand? #2  
It was an easy job to decide on which tractor to buy for me. I decided that I needed to have a small backhoe and loader and still be able to mow the lawn. I also knew I would want to switch back and forth between the various attachments easily and quickly. I then looked at the mounting systems for the attachments on the Kubota, NH, Cub Cadet, and Deere. No question the Deere had the best mounting systems, especially for the backhoe. I then looked at the specs for the attachments and decided I had to have a 48 hoe and 430 loader. The 4300 is the smallest Deere that is compatible with the those attachments. Decision made./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

All generalizations are false.

/ Ever notice which brand? #3  
I ended up buying a Kubota L4610. The tractor that looked perfect was a 4400 Deere, FEL with a 48 hoe attached. The cost was high, REAL high. Everything I read on the posts on the net hinted at design problems, so the Deere was out. IF it was trouble free, and priced like the other tractors, it would have been my choice. I would have made an exception if it were truly American made, but it is not. I asked the dealer if any Deeres were still made in the US, and he pointed at a 5000 series. I walked over for a look and saw a "MADE IN MEXICO" plate on the engine. What else would he lie about? I also looked at the New Holland Boomers. Very nice, I was sorely tempted. I ruled it out as being a bit too complicated. Up here you are lucky to find someone that can do a competent job changing a tire, good luck getting electronics diagnosed and repaired. I would think all the switches and levers would be fine for 5 years or so, but how are all the goodies going to hold up exposed to dust, cold and heat. I don't have the option of trading it in like a car. Looking at the Rental yards, I mostly see Kubotas. I liked the fact that they are not an accumilation of parts from several different countries assembled in yet another country. If something goes haywire, it would be real easy to blame someone, someplace else. I don't want excuses, I can't afford it.
Will the Kubota be the answer? Time will tell.

/ Ever notice which brand? #4  
In Ct. it seems more like Fords and Deere's then a few Kubota's.

/ Ever notice which brand? #5  
Joe I think it's more like 8 out of ten being Kubota. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The reason I bought the 4310 was a couple of reasons. First and foremost. I put the 3750 through some really tough times and it held up well. Also put many many hours on it. Was still running good when I traded it in. Second the dealer has given me very good support over the years. Given me loaner tractors when needed. Also some pretty good deals on implements as well. He is smart enough to realize that it's better to make alittle bit over a long period of time rather than a bunch one time.

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Ever notice which brand? #6  
<font color=blue>In Ct. it seems more like Fords and Deere's then a few Kubota's.</font color=blue>

Saw a nice new L4610 at a building site in the center of town the other day, and a B21 TLB being trailered yesterday, so maybe there is a change for the <font color=orange>better</font color=orange> afoot in this part of CT./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Actually I agree with you for the most part, tbarber. I definitely see a lot of the smaller Fords being used by contractors around here, and it seems like the nurseries and farms go the Deere way.

/ Ever notice which brand? #7  
I agree with you that the Kubota is the better of the lot.

I needed a tractor with a Cat 2 hitch. In a JD it means 5000 series. Cost was much higher in JD plus they give you way too many driveline options. I just a needed a synchronized tranny and the M4900 had it standard.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Kubota. My next tractor would be the M9000 with a cab.

Happy tractoring..........

/ Ever notice which brand? #8  
I looked at Deere, N/H and Kubota. Lots of older Ford and N/H around here in the compact size but the ones that never seemed to die were orange. Deere is just gettin a bit too pricey and the complaint list keeps getting longer. The Boomers are real pretty and have lots o' citified features - but the hydro is clunky and again, there seemed to be reliability issues. For me, the orange was smooth and reasonably priced and powered. Good responses from the mechs I talked to and I've been pretty pleased so far. I've got dealers for all 3 within an hour's drive (and Kubota/New Holland dealer within 15 minutes).

Andy in NH

/ Ever notice which brand? #9  
I'll give you a perspective from out here in California. I live close to the heart of the agricultural region. California's climate and geography afford it with the ability to produce alot of various crops. With about $27 billion a year in agriculture sales, (thats over $13 billion more then its closet competitor, Texas, sorry Bird) there are alot of tractors. No question the farms out here are big and big farms have big tractors. I believe that John Deere is number one with the large tractors followed by Case and then New Holland. When it comes to the compacts, Kubota seems to outsell every manufactuer combined. This is purely speculative on my part. The vineyards in the Napa/Sonoma valley have alot of compacts and Kubota again appears dominate. I will add that I believe both JD and NH are making better machines and their ability to make competitive compacts may make a dent in the Kubota sales. The thing to remember is that with these 3 manufactuers, were all going to get better equipment regardless of make. Rat...

/ Ever notice which brand? #10  
I recently purchased a B 7500 compared the JD 4100 and the NH 21D all machines would have done the job so naturally dealer and price became an issue the Kubota dealer seemed more concerned with my concerns and not just telling me how much better his product was than the competitors. Kubota also came in ahead on price, liked the new look of the NH and the reputation of the JD but all said after testing all the Kubota was simply the best for the money. To quote Dennis Miller this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.