Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack #1  

Looking4new

Tractor
2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab
I don't dare run my Kioti in long dead grass for fear of starting a fire. So after 5 years of thought and designing I bit the bullet and took her apart.
20200331_110449.jpg

We separated the loader from the tractor;
20200331_110451.jpg

The bolts holding the muffler onto the manifold were easy to take out;
20200331_112500.jpg

I needed to remove the hood, first. The hardest part of that was getting the headlight harness off the hood. (No pics)

Stuffed a rag into the manifold hole to stop any cuttings falling in and cut the heat shield in two places so I could bend the horizontal part up.
20200331_112500.jpg

The pipe I used was 1.75" by 45° angle, with a little 'customizing'. There are two of them. One off the manifold and the other fit into the first one. Both of these needed cutting/customizing.
20200331_134617.jpg

The 2.5" x 30" stack installed. The stack is too short and I will be ordering a 3" x 48" stack this morning, along with adapters to go from 1.75" to 3". Might need to do that in two stages, but that is O.K. too.
The only thing left to do is cut the hood on the back corner. Pic of that to follow.

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack #2  
Nice job. Just one thought if you bring the riser over closer to the corner of cab it will get it out of your line of sight quite a bit.
Also flat black is less noticeable then shiny.

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack
After I get it all back together there will be pics of my view from the seat with a comparison pic from last winter with the grass burner. There will be a bit of obstruction on my left side but nothing I cannot live with.
I just ordered a 3" x 48" stack with a 45° bend at the top...$69.oo + shipping and two clamps for the hold down/up brackets.
I looked at my intake air filter just before I quit for the day. It is black. A pic of that will be loaded today.
New air filter ordered.

I just ordered from Summit Racing the exhaust heat tape for where the pipe runs near the heat shield. I tried to get it locally, but no joy.

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack #5  
Don't you just love it when a plan works out?:thumbsup:

I've had the same concerns with the muffler on my Kubota. It points forward along the left frame rail at the bottom of the tractor, but it's equipped with a spark arrester. So far it hasn't started any fires, but then I've been careful to stay out of tall, dry grass with it, too...

RNG; maybe no fires from sparks off your exhaust, but what about heat? The Carrier APU on my big truck (Freightliner), in the owners manual it says to clear away any grass or other burnables near the exhaust pipe as the exhaust is hot and can/may start fires.
The Carrier APU uses a Kubota 2 cylinder diesel motor.

I will be wrapping the exhaust pipe from the manifold to just past the hood when the stuff gets here (It is the same stuff hot rodders wrap their headers with to get the heat away from under the hood). I am hoping the new pipe gets here about the same time as the wrap, then I can take it all off and wrap the pipe and install the new stack.
The hard part is done. Fabrication is always a slow process with me.

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack #8  
RNG; maybe no fires from sparks off your exhaust, but what about heat? The Carrier APU on my big truck (Freightliner), in the owners manual it says to clear away any grass or other burnables near the exhaust pipe as the exhaust is hot and can/may start fires.
The Carrier APU uses a Kubota 2 cylinder diesel motor.

You're right, if parked long enough in tall grass, that stubby little exit pipe on the Kubota's muffler cold start a fire. In use, though, as in mowing, there's just not enough contact time to catch the grass on fire. At least there hasn't been in the ten years I've had this particular tractor.

But all this talk of exhausts is a reminder for me that I should probably pull the spark arrester off and clean it...

/ Exhaust conversion from grass burner to stack #9  
You will be better off with a stand off type heat shield over the wrap, it tends to rust out the tubing.

You will be better off with a stand off type heat shield over the wrap, it tends to rust out the tubing.

Unfortunately, the heat shield under the fuel tank is real close to the exhaust pipe. I will make this work until after the CV19 panic is over and I can get into a muffler shop and have them bend me a one piece tube.