Exhaust deflectors

/ Exhaust deflectors #1  

KofAlberta

Tractor
Kubota B7100
Anyone here grown tired of breathing in the exhaust fumes from their tractors and/or snowblowers?

Our little old tractor blows the diesel fumes right out in front so they often come right back into my face. I can’t imagine that’s been great for my lungs.

Also my old snowblower blows out to the side. After blowing snow my wife often has me leave my coat in the garage due to the strong exhaust smell.

So I built a little exhaust deflector out of a tin can which worked wonders for a short time - until it split apart due to the vibration.

/ Exhaust deflectors #2  
I hear ya...
My first tractor's exhaust was vertical, at face level. I turned it 90 degrees forward and added (?) A 45 deg elbow so it was directed somewhat away from the operator.
I always thought the Ford N series machines had the right idea of piping the exhaust out the rear of the tractor, but it never seemed to catch on.

/ Exhaust deflectors #3  
It does seem like sometimes you have to question why an exhaust is sent a certain way. Google "Briggs and Stratton exhaust deflector" . It may help for the snow blower.

/ Exhaust deflectors #4  
I cut and rewelded a pipe yesterday to redirect exhaust on a small Kubota.

I've heard the ford N rear exhaust was a mixed bag if you had to get back there and mess with the 3pt.. the right arm might be 300 degrees?

/ Exhaust deflectors #5  
Anyone here grown tired of breathing in the exhaust fumes from their tractors and/or snowblowers?

Our little old tractor blows the diesel fumes right out in front so they often come right back into my face. I can’t imagine that’s been great for my lungs.

Also my old snowblower blows out to the side. After blowing snow my wife often has me leave my coat in the garage due to the strong exhaust smell.

So I built a little exhaust deflector out of a tin can which worked wonders for a short time - until it split apart due to the vibration.
Yes! Trying to hand load the bucket with the engine running is not doable with my Kubota. The exhaust blows right on the back of the bucket and chokes you out.

/ Exhaust deflectors #6  
I went to a muffler shop and had them size an elbow to redirect the exhaust on my tractor. Less than $10 with the clamp!

Attachments

• P7260192.JPG
    P7260192.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 150
  • P7260198.JPG
    P7260198.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 160
   / Exhaust deflectors #7  
Joeyd looks very good but my concern would be that in dry conditions it will be blowing dust up which gets in your eyes was my experience so I rerouted it from the motor out the back on my last 2 small tractors.

/ Exhaust deflectors #8  
Welding exhaust pipe is a great way to start if you don't already weld. I'd encourage anyone to get the cheapest little inverter flux core mig machine (way under $200 now) and try to make your exhaust what you want it to be. At first it will seem like you have $200+ in a modified tractor exhaust, but over time you'll end up welding on so much stuff it'll seem like the best investment ever. I got a ton of work out of an $89 flux core welder bought from harbor freight in 2009 before i finally bought something nicer this year (because im welding on tractors instead of just exhaust pipe now). That's the absolute bottom of the barrel trash that's out there in mig welders and it was STILL infinitely better than just not having a welder.

/ Exhaust deflectors #9  
Joeyd looks very good but my concern would be that in dry conditions it will be blowing dust up which gets in your eyes was my experience so I rerouted it from the motor out the back on my last 2 small tractors.
You are right it did, I rotated it 45 degrees to the outside and it is much better.

/ Exhaust deflectors #10  
This what I did on my X739 Deere.

Attachments

• 73F54AEE-4D75-45D6-98E7-4C8AE00E810A.jpeg
    73F54AEE-4D75-45D6-98E7-4C8AE00E810A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 166
  • CA6FBF87-5976-4848-A2EC-685C66E647D5.jpeg
    CA6FBF87-5976-4848-A2EC-685C66E647D5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
  • 4667C8B8-02A2-408E-AC0D-5B03932A8006.jpeg
    4667C8B8-02A2-408E-AC0D-5B03932A8006.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 168