Expired Blue DEF uses ?

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #1  

Spike56

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355
Found a box in the garage I had forgot about. Was purchased for my 2014 Cruze Diesel, but is expired and I am not risking putting into my car. What to do with the old DEF ? Being Urea, would it be okay to spray as fertilizer or... ? Unsure if there is a use for it ? Hate to just dump it somewhere in the gravel driveway or other place.
Expert advice requested. :)

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #2  
Saw YouTube video where they were using it as fertilizer so your thought is on track. They showed the application rate as well. Likely when you reference box it is the 2.5 gallon size so not huge amount. I have to ask -- how past the expiration date? I might consider using it if not too old and has not been opened. You are safer not taking chance as could cost more repair than the cost of replacing. My last purchase was around 11 USD for 2.5 gallon container.

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ?
Saw YouTube video where they were using it as fertilizer so your thought is on track. They showed the application rate as well. Likely when you reference box it is the 2.5 gallon size so not huge amount. I have to ask -- how past the expiration date? I might consider using it if not too old and has not been opened. You are safer not taking chance as could cost more repair than the cost of replacing. My last purchase was around 11 USD for 2.5 gallon container.
How far out of date ? I am not certain, it has been in the garage for at least 2 years. Get's hot in there in the summer. Last I looked, you have to decode the numbers to determine the expiration. Sheesh... I have not done this so unclear. It is a 2.5 gallon box Blue Def.
I doubt with that small amount I would bother spraying it. More trouble than it's worth to me. Probably eat up the seals on my sprayer ?

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ?
I had no idea pee expired.
:) Yes, Pee expires. I have heard horror stories about using expired DEF. I suppose this can happen, but I do not pretend to know why.
I have a Chevy Cruz Diesel... NOT using this box, just in case. I checked this morning on how to read the date code. Yikes, they seemed to change it again. It has to be purposeful to code the expiration that way. Likely marketer / sales came up with this. I was in an auto parts (box store) cant recall which last year and looking at Blue Def. The sales guy came over to ask if he could help. I said was trying to figure out the expiration date - he said "oh, it has a shelf life"... good grief.
Reading on the web, some say the shelf life is a year... ? So you can decode the date it was made, but then you have to know the shelf life - which, at this moment, I am not clear on. I have bought a box with a fresh date in the past. But, usually ask the dealer to top off when I am there. Anything goes wrong, they added the DEF.

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #7  
I had no idea pee expired.
Pee in a toilet and don't flush for a week or so and see what happens.....♨️

I would not use the DEF as manufactures recommend using fresh.

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #8  
Pee in a toilet and don't flush for a week or so and see what happens.....♨️

I would not use the DEF as manufactures recommend using fresh.
Yes but def is in a sealed container. Pee should be in a sealed container. That would be an apples to apples comparison.

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #9  
Yes but def is in a sealed container. Pee should be in a sealed container. That would be an apples to apples comparison.
Or pour DEF in a toilet and wait a week, then it would be oranges to oranges.

/ Expired Blue DEF uses ? #10  
Or pour DEF in a toilet and wait a week, then it would be oranges to oranges.
Easier to get one more container than to tie up two toilets.