Extension cord question

/ Extension cord question #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I have a job to do that will require a hammer drill. The only such drill I own is electric, 7.5 amp. The job is located about 130 ft. from the nearest plug. The only extension cords I have are the cheap 50 ft 14 gauge type. Couple of questions. 1) How much power will I lose using this type setup? 2) Will I potentially do damage to the drill?

/ Extension cord question #2  
How big of a job? How many holes? What diameter? In what .. block or poured concrete?

/ Extension cord question #3  
The old rule of thumb for voltage drop is: You go up one size for every 100'.

14 gauge is rated for 15 amps, IIRC, so 130' shouldn't reduce the current enough to hurt a 7.5 amp motor.

My only other observation is that you could use this as an excuse to get you wife to buy you a new cordless drill. I have the DeWalt 20v MAX. They're great! :D

/ Extension cord question #4  
I'd be inclined to not only rent a more hefty and longer extension cord but maybe also a more powerful hammer drill. I needed to drill holes in our concrete decking to install a safety pool cover for the winter. Tried with the little hammer drill about like the one you have on a hole or two. Took absolutely forever.

Went out and rented a big drill. Brrriittt! Hole done. Kept repeating. Must have done all the rest in way less time it took me on the 2 holes I tried with my little hammer drill.

Ralph

/ Extension cord question #7  
I'd consider buying a cordless hammer drill from HF or Northern. I think they have some in the sub $100 range. Should knock those four holes out in less than one battery charge.

/ Extension cord question #8  
Shucks, but 100 ft 12 g extension and be done.
Charge 1/2 the cost to the client if that makes you feel better.