Extension cord question

/ Extension cord question #12  
Do you have a generator?

Probably not, since you don't even own a proper extension cord.

:laughing:

/ Extension cord question #13  
14 gauge is the same as the wiring in your house and it's not hard to get a long run. I try and plug in as close to the panel as possible, so it's less of a cumulative drop.

/ Extension cord question #14  
Go for it, you'll never notice anything.

/ Extension cord question
Shucks, but 100 ft 12 g extension and be done.
Charge 1/2 the cost to the client if that makes you feel better.
Not a job for someone else. No client to charge. Just a personal job at my house.

/ Extension cord question #16  
14 gauge is the same as the wiring in your house and it's not hard to get a long run. I try and plug in as close to the panel as possible, so it's less of a cumulative drop.

My house is all 12 gauge. It was built in 2001/2002. I know some older houses around here have smaller gauge wire.

/ Extension cord question #17  
12 gauge is nice, but having worked as an electrical apprentice for years, I would not have liked to wire a house with 12 AWG. I WILL run it for outdoor HD outlets, simply to cut down on voltage drop, for this exact reason of plugging in a cord and having further drop.

/ Extension cord question #18  
130 foot run with 14 gauge COPPER wire, 120 volts @ 7.5 amps would result in almost 5 volts drop. If you are feeding it with an ACTUAL 120 volts, you are probably fine. your drill should run on 115 V just fine. If you are feeding it with 110v, the drop could be a problem. Pay attention if your drill start running hot. Stop and let it cool down. Wait a bit between holes to let the motor cool. If your extension cord is aluminum (or CCA - Copper Clad Aluminum), the voltage drop will be even more.

7.5 amps is not a particularly large load, but if it were me, I'd invest in at least a 50 foot good quality 12 gauge extension cord. You never know when you'll need it, and it will help on your current project, even if you don't run 12 gauge all the way. I buy mine from the local hardware store, since I like to give them the business when I can. If you are an "advantage member" you can get a good quality one at Northern Tool for less than $50 with free shipping. You can get a slightly less durable one from Harbor Freight for $37 plus shipping.

/ Extension cord question #19  
My house is #12 and my shop is #12 and #10...

I also have a separate 200 amp service to my shop and it's really all I need.

SR

/ Extension cord question #20  
Figure it as 150 feet unless you're going to cut one of your cords. IF (A big if) you start with 120 volts, the voltage drop at 7.5 amps will be 5.68. The drill will get 114 volts

Follow John_Mc's advice. Let the drill cool while you're using it.

Here's the calculator

Voltage Drop Calculator

Attachments

• voltage.jpg
    voltage.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 47