F-150 Valve Tappets(?)

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I have a 2000 F-150 with the V-8 Triton engine, right now 75k miles.

Based on some threads on TBN, about 2k miles ago, I changed the oil to RotellaT 5W-40 synthetic.

Almost immediately I started hearing a noise which I have always associated with valve tappets (rat-tat-tat-tat-tat...). Almost like a muffler noise, but primarily under load, especially when cold. Warm it up or stop going uphill and the engine is silent.

Who knows if the Triton engine even has valve tappets?

Is this the right diagnosis?

Is this harmful to the engine?

Could changing from Mobil 1 5W-30 to the RotellaT 5W-40 cause this, or is that just a coincidence?

Is it bad enough for the engine that I should immediately change the oil again, or can I let it go for a few weeks? (Deer season is in 3 weeks, and frequently we drive hundreds of miles in a dust bowl and I am going to change oil after that anyway.)

Should I try adding some kind of "mouse milk" to the oil to quiet this down?

Cost is a consideration, but I can buy a lot of oil for what an overhaul will cost.

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #2  
Yeppers the ford lifters are noisy. In our 2003 F150 we run 5w20,. I only run the Mobil 1 synth. Thats the spec for ours. Not sure about yours but i think its 5w20 too,

Running the Mobil makes a big difference in valvetrain noise.

I think theres a ford TSB on the issue. If memory serves, the recomended fix is proper synth oil. Of course they recommended the Motorcraft oil. Also use a good filter. I like the motorcraft ones

One other remote thing, Check your plugs for loose or ejected ones.

Does it seem to be on one side or the other? Our truck had a blown header gasket / broken bolts that caused a bad ticking noise especially under load up hills. Both the plugs and the manifolds are known issues that ford chooses to ignore.

If you have a blown gasket, youll likely have a warped header and broken bolts. For giggles i got a quote from the dealer, 1200 is the typical minimum. Usually they have to pull the head > $2000!!! Its a major PITA job that took me over a day, Theres no clearance between the frame and the head to get a normal drill in. I replaced the studs with stanless bolts so this shouldnt happen again.

Good luck. Hope its nothing major/

Last edited:
   / F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #3  
Yeppers the ford lifters are noisy. In our 2003 F150 we run 5w20,. I only run the Mobil 1 synth. Thats the spec for ours. Not sure about yours but i think its 5w20 too,

Running the Mobil makes a big difference in valvetrain noise.

I think theres a ford TSB on the issue. If memory serves, the recomended fix is proper synth oil. Of course they recommended the Motorcraft oil. Also use a good filter. I like the motorcraft ones

One other remote thing, Check your plugs for loose or ejected ones.

Does it seem to be on one side or the other? Our truck had a blown header gasket / broken bolts that caused a bad ticking noise especially under load up hills. Both the plugs and the manifolds are known issues that ford chooses to ignore.

If you have a blown gasket, youll likely have a warped header and broken bolts. For giggles i got a quote from the dealer, 1200 is the typical minimum. Usually they have to pull the head > $2000!!! Its a major PITA job that took me over a day, Theres no clearance between the frame and the head to get a normal drill in. I replaced the studs with stanless bolts so this shouldnt happen again.

Good luck. Hope its nothing major/

I am trying to remember here but that era engine called for 5W30 oil. I do not think they recommended 5W20 until the body change over in 04 ish model year. I would think its the the oil you are using is just too heavy. I would go back to a 5W30 or what it calls for and see if it goes away.

Chris

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #4  
I am trying to remember here but that era engine called for 5W30 oil. I do not think they recommended 5W20 until the body change over in 04 ish model year. I would think its the the oil you are using is just too heavy. I would go back to a 5W30 or what it calls for and see if it goes away.

Chris

My 2003 is 5w-20.

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #5  
Hydraulic lifters probably aren't filling properly due to lower viscosity???:D:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
   / F-150 Valve Tappets(?)
My manual is 400 miles away, but I remember it calls for 5W-30.

I didn't think a minor change like that would have that big an effect.

Anyway, the remaining question is can I wait a month to change it, or should I do it right away, knowing that another change is coming up in a month anyway?

I can live with the noise if it isn't doing any permanent harm to the engine.

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #8  
viscosity can make a big difference in this engine, in my experience. Id go back to proper spec mobil 1 and see what happens.

Id also have a look around for the things i mentioned in my otherpost.

Will you do damage? Hard to say, likely not, but the spec is the spec for a reason, so i wouldnt chance it personally.

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #9  
My 2001 F150 had the 5W-20 recommendation and my 97 did not. Same exact truck except the 01 was an automatic.

Dave,

There is a pretty significant viscosity difference betwen the Rotella (heavy diesel rated oil on the thicker side of the 40 weight scale) and Mobil 1 5w-30 (lighter 5w-30 that is very close to the the semi -synthetics 5w-20). Your results are the exact same as I recall on both of my Fords and currently on my GMC (which also has Rotella 5w-40 in it right now). Cooler weather will obviously make the ticking last longer as the engine takes a little longer to warm up. In the mean time, run it. Sounds like you have a lot of extended driving to do, which is a much better situtation that a bunch of short trips. Once your trip is over go back to a lighter 5w-30 like Mobil 1 or even the Motorcraft stuff. Last time I checked the Motorcraft oil was a Chevron Group III based oil and has very good wear results. As good and sometimes better than M1. I have gotten most of my info from BITOG, but haven't been back on those boards in a while.

/ F-150 Valve Tappets(?) #10  
I would also say go back to the recommended oil right away. Its not worth $30 in oil taking the chance of blowing up a $4000 engine. I always use the Motorcraft Semi Synthetic in all my Fords. Its the best price stuff on the market. I get it from my dealer for less than I can get it at WalMart.

Chris