F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #31  
TBN says your attachment is invalid. I'm very interested in seeing pics of loader locks.

Condolences to the family of the victim. I hope he didn't suffer.

:(

I'll try uploading it again:

Buhler_195_LiftLock.JPG Beuhler195__LiftLock.JPG

The lift lock is #14b on the second picture. The lift lock for the DT275 with the Buhler 195 loader was important because the hood could not be opened without loosening and dropping the grill guard, and had to be done with a raised loader. It is not so important with the DK35 since the hood can be opened with the loader down.

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #32  
In this day and age it make me wonder why a lift cylinder lock isn't standard equipment on all loaders. Manufactures must be aware of how they are used so why doesn't it get the same level of necessity that a ROPS gets?

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #33  

View attachment 438225 View attachment 438226

The lift lock is #14b on the second picture. The lift lock for the DT275 with the Buhler 195 loader was important because the hood could not be opened without loosening and dropping the grill guard, and had to be done with a raised loader. It is not so important with the DK35 since the hood can be opened with the loader down.

Got it this time, thanks!

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #34  

Got it this time, thanks!

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #35  
In this day and age it make me wonder why a lift cylinder lock isn't standard equipment on all loaders. Manufactures must be aware of how they are used so why doesn't it get the same level of necessity that a ROPS gets?

I agree Mace. When you buy a new outboard, it has "lift locks" of a sort to rest the engine on when on a trailer so you don't bounce on the cylinders.
Little or perhaps large flip over locking devices are not uncommon. I mean, what's the downside other than cost? There's product liability only if the lock fails under use, say someone dropped twenty tons of weight into your bucket all at once. And then demand that the lift lock hold...sigh. (I spent many years doing insurance underwriting and used to teach trainees at Travelers all the different ways companies could get sued for the misuse of their products. Made for very interesting discussions.) One would think maximum safety would be built in at all times. One would think...
They'd rather put ten huge obnoxious safety stickers all over the place, that just come off with the powerwasher anyway.

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #36  
kco's 2nd pic looks identical parts-wise to my Allied 495's setup. Funny that while the mounting bosses & decals for lift locks are there the actual parts aren't. Yes, I do use the 7' wide bucket as a working platform with ladder to access and 8' 4x4s under the bucket. Guess I should make up some lock arms, but would keep using the lumber supports in case a bucket hose goes.

I've used concrete blocks as stands in a pinch, but always with plywood 'cushions' between them as well as oak cribbing underneath and on top. (haven't busted a block in 45 yrs, done that way .. or not at all) :2cents:

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #37  

That same FEL is fitted to my Hurlimann 435. The loader carries the same placards. Unfortunately, the strut is not with the loader. It really should be fixed to the unit .

Good ideas with a serious flaw.

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #38  
A hydraulic line doesn't have t be damaged to go off. We got a new 300 Komatsu excavator one time on a job. Komatsu in Georgia had a line crimper that was out of adjustment and didn't crimp the lines at spaced pressure. I had one blow out in 5 minutes.

/ F.E.L failure and fatality......06/06/2015 Tennessee #39  
Well, I've seen people use FEL's as a man lift and I won't lie, I've given the granddaughters an up and down giggling experience, but never more than 3-4 feet off the ground. One of my customers uses a gigantic, shipping container forklift to lift me into position for working on a pole camera. Only way to reach it actually.

your widow will be a rich woman should something go wrong with this situation, make sure she has good legal advice and have someone snap a picture of you doing this, maybe get your boss in the picture also.
just went through 8 hours of osha lift training and i cant count the rules this violates.
i just rented a lift from home depot 800 bucks for a week plus another 350 for correct harness and fall arrest, pretty cheap compared to the pine box alternative.
the other end of the price is the 60' jlg i just returned for 2200.00 for a week, still worth it, no camera is worth your life man, i work on them almost everyday