F150 2.7 Ecoboost?

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #21  
Ok, I have a 5.0 so I should like that video. The problem is, those mechanics seem out of touch. They said they would choose the 5.0 because it can tow mow (wrong), has more power (wrong), and that you don't have to "be on it" to get power (wrong). I like my 5.0, but none of those reasons are valid.

I would say that it is also hard to get people to wrap their heads around the idea that a smaller displacement motor gives more power, and particularly more torque. One thing you did not mention is reliability, and that is where I would like to see more data.

It's funny that no one mentioned the roar!

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #22  
Ok, I have a 5.0 so I should like that video. The problem is, those mechanics seem out of touch. They said they would choose the 5.0 because it can tow mow (wrong), has more power (wrong), and that you don't have to "be on it" to get power (wrong). I like my 5.0, but none of those reasons are valid.

Good Afternoon Mark,
The 5.0L has the most HP in the Ford F-150 lineup. Comes in at 385HP, the 3.5L has more torque than the 5.0L but about 10 HP less if memory serves me correct.:)

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #23  
Good Afternoon Mark,
The 5.0L has the most HP in the Ford F-150 lineup. Comes in at 385HP, the 3.5L has more torque than the 5.0L but about 10 HP less if memory serves me correct.:)
You're right, the 5.0 has more HP.
The 3.5 has much more torque (470 vs 400 for the 5.0) but the key is how most of the 3.5's power is available at a much lower rpm range. I like my 5.0, but having driven both I know the 3.5 has much more quiet power/strength available in the normal use RPM range. Even the 2.7 equals the 5.0 with 400 ft lbs. You have to love the engine choices these days.

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #24  
Nothing wrong with a boost if it is reliable.

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #25  
Drove my 2016 2.7 MA to DC, picked up load of furniture and stuff and came back last weekend. Almost 900 miles of highway, 5-8 above speed limit. Got about 23 mpg calculated by miles and fuel. Truck showed 24.5 there and 23.5 for trip.

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #26  
Drove my 2016 2.7 MA to DC, picked up load of furniture and stuff and came back last weekend. Almost 900 miles of highway, 5-8 above speed limit. Got about 23 mpg calculated by miles and fuel. Truck showed 24.5 there and 23.5 for trip.

Dang good mileage !!

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #27  
Horsepower is to brag about among fellow Honda drivers. To get work done economically and in comfort, you need torque. In Europe we dont have the luxury of owning several vehicles because of tax reasons, but my 2.5 TDI Volvo serves both purposes just fine. 20 km on a liter of diesel commuting to work, 10km per liter when towing a 3 ton trailer... enough torque to take off without hitting the gas and burn the clutch.

Most truck gas engines have a torque curve that doesnt exceed that of my 2.5 TDI untill 2500rpm, so if a truck engine cant make the power where it counts, whats the point ?

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #28  
Horsepower is to brag about among fellow Honda drivers. To get work done economically and in comfort, you need torque. In Europe we dont have the luxury of owning several vehicles because of tax reasons, but my 2.5 TDI Volvo serves both purposes just fine. 20 km on a liter of diesel commuting to work, 10km per liter when towing a 3 ton trailer... enough torque to take off without hitting the gas and burn the clutch.

Most truck gas engines have a torque curve that doesnt exceed that of my 2.5 TDI untill 2500rpm, so if a truck engine cant make the power where it counts, whats the point ?

How does your Volvo ride with 3270 lbs. in the back seat? :duh:

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #29  
How does your Volvo ride with 3270 lbs. in the back seat? :duh:

Thats where a trailer comes in handy... real handy because we dont get to pay road tax for trailers, which we'd do for a vehicle that is heavier because it has a cargo space which you drag around unused 90% of the time.

Anyways, my point is that i can see the benefit of the ecoboost: it makes horsepower where it counts. Below 2500rpm.

/ F150 2.7 Ecoboost? #30  
benefit of the ecoboost: it makes horsepower where it counts. Below 2500rpm.
But then, the turbos are running what...120,000rpm? Engine RPM doesn't really mean that much.