f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #11  
Huh, so they have. Could have sworn I read it was a 2019. Looks like they're only putting it in the high trim variants though, respectable 10k towing EcoDiesel is only rated to 7.5k or so.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #12  
Huh, so they have. Could have sworn I read it was a 2019. Looks like they're only putting it in the high trim variants though, respectable 10k towing EcoDiesel is only rated to 7.5k or so.

Fleet customers can buy it in the XL and XLT trim. So they will be available used shortly.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #13  
Towing and mpg do not belong in the same sentence regardless of engine.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #14  
Occasional short distance towing is a whole different ballgame than towing long distances, but I've killed lots of half ton engines and trannies from towing boats and enclosed trailers because I'm too danged impatient to slow down. Speed changes the MPG numbers dramatically. With my 12 foot enclosed race bike trailer, my half ton Silverado 5.3 V8, would get about 13 mpg if I kept it at 70mph. When I pulled at 80mph, it would go down to about 9.5 mph.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs
Towing and mpg do not belong in the same sentence regardless of engine.

disagree. the last trip fuel expense was the most money i had to spend. my helper and the tolls are vying for next most. about 1/2 the fuel cost. the more if have to spend on fuel the less i make

if the ecoboost cane come close to diesel fuel economy it should work out about the same since right now gas is lees than diesel

Last edited:
   / f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #16  
disagree. the last trip fuel expense was the most money i had to spend. my helper and the tolls are vying for next most. about 1/2 the fuel cost. the more if have to spend on fuel the less i make

if the ecoboost cane come close to diesel fuel economy it should work out about the same since right now gas is lees than diesel

i posted a an economy test by TFL but thought it might not be the kind of info you were looking for but sounds like what you are interested in so here it is again

2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 10-Speed vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 8-Speed Towing MPG Review - YouTube

The Eco boost will flat out run the eco diesel but the towing mileage difference was substantial, towing a 20 foot CM cargo mate with a fair amount of frontal area on the 98 mile test course.

13.26 for eco diesel 9.14 for the eco boost

hopefully the Ford diesel can match the Rams diesel mileage with it's superior towing capability -That would be a winner for sure.

newly posted may 10th by TFL preproduction truck
Limp Home! 2018 Ford F150 Diesel takes on the World's Toughest Towing Test - YouTube

Last edited:
   / f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #17  
I have both a 6.0 diesel and a 3.5 ecoboost. The ecoboost impresses me all the time. I had to haul a dual axle 12 foot equipment trailer to my cabin for the summer. Took the ecoboost just to see how it did at 10,000 feet and the long slow steep mountain roads. It impressed me to say the least. I got 11MPG on a 200 mile run. Empty I get 17.5 consistently.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #18  
Last trip with 6000lb 24 travel trailer was at about 11 MPG (US) including all town and campground road driving, truck running while hitching and leveling trailer.

3.5 max tow 3.73 crew cab.

Can accelerate in 6th gear.

Got worse mileage on same trip towing same trailer with my 7.3 6-speed manual Super Duty.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #19  
2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 6.5' bed towing a Jayco 23B travel trailer I get 9-11 mpg at 60 mph. City driving unloaded 15 mpg 30-80 mph. Mileage drops in with winter gas. Plenty of pep and power!!

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #20  
2013 Ecoboost Super Cab towing 6x12 empty (3200 lbs) dump trailer got 13 mpg driving at 60 mph.