f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #21  
I would guess 10 ish...

I've towed with many vehicles and it seems it takes X hp to get down the road with a given load and to make X hp takes Y amount of fuel. The only real differences are diesel vs gas - and terrain/driving style (slower is better for MPG).

My camper is about 6500 lbs and it's 9.5 to 9.9 mpg with anything I've tried (gasoline powered).

Now the COMFORT level of towing changes dramatically with diff vehicles. Shorter WB (expedition) vs longer wb (4 door pickup..24" more wb) is huge difference in ride quality. E rated tires tow much better than P rated (feels like 4 blocks of jello - but the non-towing ride is better on P tires)

150/1500 vs 350/3500 is night and day difference - the much higher capacity of the 1 ton makes an empty ride less pleasant, but the loaded ride is SOOO much better - bigger brakes? less jiggle from the heavier springs? Not sure what makes the difference but wow, there is a big difference.

Like gas vs diesel - the torque of the diesel makes a tremendous difference.

IME a 150/1500 is a car - made and sold to people that want car like ride and utility with a truck look. My last minivan had a higher cargo rating that the '13 silverado 1500 I had did.

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #22  
The EB's are fantastic tow engines, and the new 10AT makes them even better. Always so relaxed, and never lacking for power. And with low aero drag, are amazingly efficient.

Here's a recent trip taking my tractor down to my camp in SE Ohio hill country. Trailer load was about 4500#, another 500-600# in the truck. Truck is a '18 2.7EB 10AT 4x4 super crew, 3.55 gears.

All the OEM integrated towing gear is awesome as well. Down right fun compared to towing 40 years ago!

IMG_0512.JPGIMG_0510.JPG

/ f150 3.5 ecoboost towing MPGs #23  
that's about what I expected from talking to people with diesels.

I don't tow enough to justify the extra cost of the diesel, fuel, maintenance (dual batts, filters, oil changes, def, etc). I might tow 5% of the annual miles on the truck - economics say even with the crappier mileage towing it's still cheaper.
Would the day to day 'commuting' mileage advantage of a diesel be worth it? With diesel here selling for 15% more than gasoline, and many fewer places to get it, I'm not sure.

Some people with the dodge cummins say they get 20, 25mph on daily driving..my brother in law (a gm employee) always said he got 20-22 with his suburban...when I had the same drivetrain in a silverado I got 15-16 in daily use, so I look at claimed MPG with a large grain of salt.

i posted a an economy test by TFL but thought it might not be the kind of info you were looking for but sounds like what you are interested in so here it is again

2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 10-Speed vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 8-Speed Towing MPG Review - YouTube

The Eco boost will flat out run the eco diesel but the towing mileage difference was substantial, towing a 20 foot CM cargo mate with a fair amount of frontal area on the 98 mile test course.

13.26 for eco diesel 9.14 for the eco boost

hopefully the Ford diesel can match the Rams diesel mileage with it's superior towing capability -That would be a winner for sure.

newly posted may 10th by TFL preproduction truck
Limp Home! 2018 Ford F150 Diesel takes on the World's Toughest Towing Test - YouTube