F150 thoughts

/ F150 thoughts #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I am thinking of getting raid of my old F250 4 dr and picking up a 150 4dr. I am looking at the either the 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost because of the good things I have read here. I don't tow a lot but when I do my load is pretty heavy. Looks like the 3.5 has nore power but I am wondering if I will be fine with the 2.7.
I was planning to get a 7x14 trailer (2 axle) that I can to use occasionally. Should I get things like towing package or similar options that would be useful? I am not an option type of person for comfort and am looking for a base unit unless there advantages to a particular package that I am not familiar with.
The reason I ask is that there is quite a vast range of prices for the 150 so there must be many option available. Looking for clarity from folks that have bought trucks more recently than myself. My 250 is a 2004 so I am out of touch with the new pickup world.
Thanks for input.

/ F150 thoughts #2  
I went with an F150 about 6 years ago after having two Ford Super Duty's. I have had two Lariat's, one King Ranch, and now on my 2nd Platinum. I buy new and trade at 30K for business reasons. My wife also drives an F150 by her choice (she fell in love with mine). I have the 3.5 ecoboost with the new 10 speed transmission; I can't say enough good things about this engine. Wicked quick and fast, and very good mileage as well. I often tow a 12 ft tandem axle enclosed trailer, and Having had the max tow package vs normal standard equipped, I can't tell the difference. I buy the Platinum models for trade in value mostly, but do enjoy the extra creature comforts. I always buy the supercrew and 4 wd models as well. PM me if you want and I'll give you my dealer's info, he is in Eastern NC and well worth the trip.

/ F150 thoughts #3  
The big advantage for the trailer package is the built in brake controller. If you don't have electric brakes on your trailer it may not do much beyond increasing desirability for resale. I would go with the larger engine if I planned to pull ANY trailer. The larger engine and 4WD will decrease fuel economy but only slightly. A new Dodge Ram with 4WD and a hemi is only about a mile per gallon worse than my ten year old 2WD Ram with a smaller V8.

/ F150 thoughts
Thanks that is just the info I am looking for. Glad to have the dealer info. I will PM as soon as I figure out how.

/ F150 thoughts #6  
I have a 2017 with 3.5 Ecoboost. It's great to have the power, but I pull a 7K 16 foot trailer, fully loaded and think the 2.7 would handle it fine. From reports it appears the 2.7 does get noticeably better gas mileage. Get the tow package with brake controller. Even though they sell 2 axle trailers without brakes, I don't think they are actually legal. And I know it's not smart. My trailer came with brakes on one axle and I added the brakes to the second axle and am glad I did.

My opinion is that the ride, performance and features make this a great truck. I went with the Lariat package and paid almost 50K but I can afford it and will keep the truck for 10 to 20 years, so it's a bargain for me.

/ F150 thoughts #7  
My last F150 was in 1997, big V8 to tow a 24' cuddy cabin V-8 boat. I loved that truck, kept it for 6 years, then my son had it for another 7 years.

Earlier this year (after a coupe of 4Runners), I bought another F-150 and what a difference from the 1997 version! Much quicker, more torque, better gas mileage, higher towing capacity and improved technology / safety features. I cannot even tell that my 7k trailer is back there.

I got a Lariat off the lot at about $66k MSRP, so more options than you may want. It has the 3.5L EcoBoost and 10-speed transmission. The max towing package is well worth the money (brake controller, thicker sway bars, etc) as is 4WD. If you want those without a lot of convenience options, you will probably have to special order a truck. I did that in 1997 and other than waiting 6 weeks, it was no problem to get exactly what what I wanted / needed.

/ F150 thoughts #8  
I've got a 2012 Lariat F150 with about 140k miles. 3.5 ecoboost, max tow. No issues. Perfectly reliable. You need the 3.5 engine to handle a 10k trailer according to the build your own website..

/ F150 thoughts #9  
I have the 2.7 in mine with the 10 speed auto and I tow a 4600# travel trailer no problem can actually increase speed going up any hills I've been up and even pass if you put your foot down!!!

/ F150 thoughts #10  
Either engine will work fine for you but as others have said, make sure you get the tow package for the brake controller.

After a lot of research I special ordered my 2016 F150 Supercab with the 3.5 Ecoboost. After 3-1/2 years, I couldn't be happier. The truck has never been back to the dealer for anything. Changing the oil and rotating the tires every 5000 miles is all I've ever done to it. All fuel purchases are logged into an Excel spreadsheet I created and it tells me that since I bought the truck new the overall average fuel mileage is 20.96 mpg - and out here the speed limit is 80 mph. Best of all is the the sweet power band. I've always loved driving diesels because of the low end torque and not having to shift down in the mountains. This 3.5 Ecoboost is as close to driving a diesel as a gas engine can come - the effortless way it rolls over 11,000 foot passes with the tranny still in overdrive still amazes me. Love my F150 - getting ready to turn 41,000 miles on it now.