F2690 mower decks scalping

/ F2690 mower decks scalping #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
Does anyone with an F series mower have a problem with the left front of the mower deck scalping? I was checking out a new F2690 at my local dealer and noticed the 72" deck could very easily scalp some turf if that front left corner of the deck came up on a small hill/bump. Maybe an extra roller could be mounted there?

/ F2690 mower decks scalping #2  
I have a 72" rear discharge and don't have any issues with scalping, but I have the cut height set at 3", which I think helps keep the lawn looking greener and healthier if things get dry.

/ F2690 mower decks scalping #3  
Does anyone with an F series mower have a problem with the left front of the mower deck scalping? . . . Maybe an extra roller could be mounted there?

Sometimes the answer is totally counter-intuitive. I had a scalping problem with a JD F510 front mower and kept lowering an idler wheel/roller (i.e. raising the deck). A woman at what is no longer a local John Deere dealer instructed me to raise the wheel and acknowledged that seemed backwards, but lo, that worked.

I suspect the manufacturer's rep's answer would be to re-grade the lawn to billiard table flatness.

/ F2690 mower decks scalping #4  
I have a 72" rear discharge and don't have any issues with scalping, but I have the cut height set at 3", which I think helps keep the lawn looking greener and healthier if things get dry.

Listen to this wiseman :thumbsup:

I HATE seeing ppl mow lower than 2.5”

A farm feed & seed store told me taller grass has deeper roots that draws more moisture in hotter weather.

My 72” RD Deck doesn’t scalp either & I'm mowing around my farm not a subdivision yard.

Last edited: