Walker's F Series Thread

/ Walker's F Series Thread
Thanks Doug I will be trying that when I get back home and the new plugs come in to the dealer.

I made it home from my Minneapolis trip, that's a whole different discussion I'll try to elaborate on if anyone cares.

Still waiting on some parts for the F. It has been raining a lot, which is a good thing, so no mowing now anyways.

I shouldn't have been on ebay, I found bar tires for all four corners. I think I'll post to the main F series thread, it has more views, see what people think.

Link:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_152206_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_152206_Chrome.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 45
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 47
   / Walker's F Series Thread #43  
I have that type tires in the drive wheels of our Grasshopper mower and they are one of the reasons why I bought 4x4 F series mower!

Bar tires cause lot of wear (ruts etc.) when the ground is moist or wet.

/ Walker's F Series Thread #44  
I have that type tires in the drive wheels of our Grasshopper mower and they are one of the reasons why I bought 4x4 F series mower!

Bar tires cause lot of wear (ruts etc.) when the ground is moist or wet.
Me too. I tried bar tires on my ZD331. They worked great, but I got complaints about ripping up grass, even being careful.
4WD with turf tires on my F3680 is about the best you can get and not damage turf.

/ Walker's F Series Thread #45  
You can also get these with shallower lugs that taper down to the outside of the tire, supposed to be easier on the lawn.
1684109484958.png

/ Walker's F Series Thread #46  
I’m seeing them on Grasshoppers quite a bit.

/ Walker's F Series Thread #47  
Here's what our Grasshopper tires look like.

These will wear ruts over time and cause other damage in wet ground.

Changing mowing patterns will help of-course, but there are areas where it is necessary to drive in the same spot.

Hopper.png

We are not seing that type of damage from these tires at all so far, and no issues with traction:

IMG_5564.JPG

Thanks for the input on bar tires everyone.... it sure would make the F look cool though :)

Also, when I do a project, I like to be thorough and do it twice sometimes, actually most of the time I end up doing things twice. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

I put things "mostly" together, did a test run, and noticed a new drip from the hydraulic cooler lines. I had loosened them up and must have disturbed the o-rings. Soooooo.... I pulled the radiator again, put new o-rings in, performed another test run and no leak this time. I'm letting it sit overnight before I finish putting it back together.

So... my new to-do list:
Change hyd fluid and filter
Change left rear 4wd case once I get the stripped drain plug out
New bushing and pin for front castor (I've already changed one)
Install new radiator cover gasket that seals it to the hood to prevent debris coming in
Wash mowing deck
Fab new deck lift location
Install deck, seat, and hood
MOW

For anyone that may be reading this looking for info on removing the radiator.... do not remove the bolt circled below, that'll loosen the hydraulic lines and possibly disturb the o-ring. The radiator has to be removed with the shroud intact as well. It's not too bad, be sure to loosen the fuel tank and pull it out to the side as far as you can so you can reach behind it for 3 bolts. The rest are all relatively accessible.

Attachments

• 20230516_202415.jpg
    20230516_202415.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230516_202356.jpg
    20230516_202356.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230516_202409.jpg
    20230516_202409.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Everything except the drain plug has been done on the list above. I've mowed a few more hours with it and have some new questions for everyone.

If the blades are engaged and I lift the mower, I hear bad noises, like growling noises from underneath the machine. The same noise occurs if I pull up tonanditch and allow the deck to drop down. When it's near the normal height there's no noise. I am assuming this is the PTO driveline. I pulled it apart and greased it. I also greased both u-joints and they did not have any play in them. Any ideas?

Steering... it is not pleasant to mow next to fences.... this thing is just plain squirlly, not sure if other parts of the country use that term or not lol. I've also noticed to maintain a straight line I have to keep turning it to the right. It is very slight but enilough to notice because I have to keep lifting m ly hand up and repositioning it otherwise I'd be doing complete circles. The steering hardware is all in great shape, no play or visible wear. No leaks on the hoses or cylinder. I'm guessing g this is either the steering cylinder leaking/bypassing internally or the steering valve that has an internal issue. Any ideas on this?

This machines nickname is "Cloud". That's because I'm usually in a cloud of dust or grass. I raised the mowing height and get a lot of blowout from the front of the deck. I have dome rubber I can make a skirt for the front out of. I also seen some kits for Deere mowers online the have a lip along the front bottom edge to prevent blowout. I can't be the only one experiencing this with the F. Since the deck is out front you end up driving right into the cloud...

Almost forgot, pictures! I washed it but I've mowed with it a few times already before these pics were taken.

Attachments

• 20230609_195123.jpg
    20230609_195123.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 20230609_195133.jpg
    20230609_195133.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230609_195139.jpg
    20230609_195139.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230609_195146.jpg
    20230609_195146.jpg