Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct?

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #71  
That grass actually looks pretty nice for having been planted last fall. As it fills in and becomes less clumpy, it will be significantly smoother. In the meantime a suspension seat might be in order.

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #72  
I had the same questions when going from .25 acres to 60. Overwhelmed was an understatement. It takes time to set perspective and really figure out what you want to do and what equipment you want assuming money plays a factor. Sounds like you have a good start at the property with a ZT and side by side to plow.

The suspension seat is cheap and only going to make the rest of your mowing easier. If you add up the time you'll be mowing 6 acres that makes good sense either way and there are no wasted funds or regrets. It may be enough and you are done.

If you were to get a pull behind mower for the side-by-side and end up getting a tractor down the road, it would be better to go tractor and some sort of mower/cutter/flail and you have a semi-wasted purchase and one more thing with a motor on it that needs maintenance. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would have just gotten the tractor I needed upfront, and built around it over time. Then any implement you buy is sized for your tractor and application.

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #73  
I think your that when the farmer was done leveling it the soil was compressed at different rates. Over winter the softer spots settled. I don't think I would use a roller as it'll just compact the high stuff, that's already compacted more than the low stuff, even further which isn't good for grass. A tiller or harley rake would work but you would loose all the grass and unless really flat erosion could cause you new issues.

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #74  
That grass actually looks pretty nice for having been planted last fall. As it fills in and becomes less clumpy, it will be significantly smoother. In the meantime a suspension seat might be in order.

Can I get an Amen?

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #77  
Add money

1618489506443.jpeg

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #78  
I have a suspicion that your lawn is in similar condition as a gravel driveway with potholes. To correct the uneven surface and to minimize the chances of it reverting to a bumpy surface, treat your lawn like you would your driveway. You will have to scrape the high spots in your lawn at least to the same level as your ruts. Just piling up loose dirt into a rut is a temporary fix. After time, all of the loose dirt will get compacted and the ruts will reappear. Six acres is a huge area for a box blade or land plane to tame.

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #79  
i finally hired a guy to do what i don't know how to. i could learn and i will learn but, what took him days would have taken me at least 2 weeks etc etc. i don't have the time and the seeds gotta go in soon. The county rents a seeder called brillion?

He bushhogged it, raked it, harley raked it and went back and hit the high spots. then he put down 6 tons? of lime. The area is 3 acres of duke power easement....aka, semi private driving range.

This guy is a character, just retired from army, 40 years old. Hard worker! Hunts predictors at nite with IR equipment. I traded him my drone for a cross bow.

/ Failed attempt to smooth property, how to correct? #80  
What does everyone think of a box rake