Price Check Fair Price for a Massey 261

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #1  

americandogma

Tractor
86 Ford 3910 Diesel
This is my first post but I have been lurking for about a year. I appreciate everyone who contributes, I have learned a ton.

Last year we finally bought a farm and with spring here I am in desperate need of a decent all around utility tractor. I am looking for a tractor with at least 40 HP at the PTO but ideally would like something closer to 60 so I can pull a 10' bush hog. I would like to have a loader but the primary purpose of the tractor is for bush hogging.

With all that said... I found a 1994 Massey Ferguson 261 with about 980 hours on it. An old loader comes with it but its in rough shape.

What is the current value of a 94 MF 261?
Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I inspect this tractor?
There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the 261 model, what do you think of the overall quality?

Thanks in advance, Justin

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #2  
This won't help too much as there was only one 261 on Tractorhouse, but it was also a 1994 for $8500. and looked to be in good shape with good tires. Any other brands you are considering? I'm sure someone else will help more with some used utility tractors suggestions in the size you require.

Maybe post this in the Massey forum for a more brand specific response? Anyway, good luck in your search.

Boy, just bought a farm and spring is here...you do need a tractor! Btw, welcome.

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I checked tractor house. The problem with tractor house is that it seems to be a better representation of dealer pricing. Basically its a list of what prices are too high to sell quickly :).

In my area the Ford, Massey, and IH seem to be the big brands. I have been looking at Ford 3000-3610 and 4000-4610. Massey 245, 250, 255, 265. I don't know much about IH.

I posted on the Massey forum as well.

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #4  
For what it's worth, I paid about $6500 for a massey ferguson 240, with about 1000 hours on the meter, and a mid 1980s. It had a loader, was a little rusty, had marginal tires, but mechanically sound.

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #5  
Couple months ago I paid $8500 for a 1984 ford 3910FWD w/3000 hrs. I spent another $2500 fixing everything I could find wrong with it. It's a 47HP tractor.

Sorry I can't help you with the Massey search. I started looking for one but couldn't find anything that fit me.

Also in my searching for a Massey I discovered parts availability is sketchy at best. That was a big seller for the Ford to me, parts are easy to get. Doesn't do any good to buy a solid 20 year old tractor if you can't fix it when it breaks. Cause it's definitely gonna break. :)

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261
That does help, thank you.

From what I read the 240 was built in England. I wonder if the 261 being an URSUS Polish build/manufacturer impacts the value or reliability...

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #7  
I don't know, can't answer those questions either. All of that kinda scared me off. I looked at a Massey 1190fwd. I Google searched for parts and/or any information I could find out about it. I never found much. Even something so simple as searching for a particular part would come up empty.

In that regard Ford has jumped around too. I don't know where my Ford 3910 was assembled but most of the parts are stamped "England". But the difference was that CNH (Case New Holland International Harvester) has maintained an excellent parts inventory and availability for the older Ford tractors.

I don't regard one any better than the other. It was just brought to my attention by a good friend TBN member whether parts were available?? I hadn't thought of that. My Ford is 30 years old. It's definitely going to need replacement parts. :)

One last comment about Massey's. I'm retired Army and have travelled a lot. Older Massey tractors are very easy to find in less developed countries. In the Persian Gulf area Massey is the standard.

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #8  
That does help, thank you. From what I read the 240 was built in England. I wonder if the 261 being an URSUS Polish build/manufacturer impacts the value or reliability...
Yes, my 240 was British made. I restored mine cosmetically, and had no trouble finding parts, but most were common things, so I've never had the need for engine or tranny parts but mine has the Perkins diesel, so from what I hear, it's pretty common.

But I have no idea about the 261. Perhaps someone will chime in. Have you checked "yesterday's tractor " site?

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #9  
I think the 261 was polish made neighbor has one hydraulics were not very strong if you want an older massey look to the 300 series they were a much better built tractor a 375 would be about what you are looking for

/ Fair Price for a Massey 261 #10  
Not real familiar with Massey but I did own a Massey 35 Diesel for about 4 years....tough little tractor...we have a good Ford-New Holland dealer here so I grew up with Fords mostly. Got to say the 4000 is a heck of a tractor in that size range and very easy to work on. I would consider the local dealer the most important thing to consider