Fan / Thermostat

/ Fan / Thermostat #11  
Should say on the thermostat. 180 to 190 I think. If I remember correctly there is an optimum temp for oil, and I think it is 160 to 200.

/ Fan / Thermostat #12  
If I remember correctly the 1430 temp control on the fan is dryer thermostat or something like that. Replaced it years ago.

/ Fan / Thermostat #13  
I would love to know the replacement part for my thermal switch. I will have to remove it and look some time.

Ken

/ Fan / Thermostat
I don not have your machine but in the winter I am hard pressed toget the cooler fan to run unless I am stump grinding or something serious with the hydrualics (which would be a million post holes or mowing).

Really haven't spent that much time watching to see if it turns on..

I just noticed after I brought it home that it never saw it come on, even after running it for a long time. But if it takes a lot of working in the heat to make it switch on then maybe it still does work can't hear or see it from the seat.

I've been in upgrade mode working on other more obvious things. Since I have a nice low hour machine I just wanted to make sure my hydraulics are staying as cool as possible when working this summer in 90+degrees temperatures..

Being an older tractor just kind of suspected it might be bad. Some of the wires were loose and dirty tightened and cleaned everything up. I guess it is possible there is nothing wrong with it. When I get more time will have to get it really heated up and then lift the hood to see if it comes on.

Thanks for all of the comments a big help.

/ Fan / Thermostat #15  
If you are concerned that the fan is functional, you could always bypass the thermal switch to see if the fan comes on.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fan / Thermostat #16  
Since you know the fan works when connected to 12V and doesn't work when connected to the thermostat, and depending where the fuse is in the circuit, of course (you checked the fuse, right? :) ), then you're correct that the thermostat is most likely the problem. When mine was working it would always come on about 20-30 minutes after plowing snow, which was rare with the PT because I was usually done in 10! :laughing:

I noticed my thermostat stopped working about 3-4 year old. So I just hook it to 12v and start the tractor and go in warm weather. I don't bother with it in winter. Some day I'll put it on a switch.

I also tied a 6" piece of orange caution tape to the fan shroud. When the fan is running, it blows up and I can see it on.

/ Fan / Thermostat
Since you know the fan works when connected to 12V and doesn't work when connected to the thermostat, and depending where the fuse is in the circuit, of course (you checked the fuse, right? :) ), then you're correct that the thermostat is most likely the problem. When mine was working it would always come on about 20-30 minutes after plowing snow, which was rare with the PT because I was usually done in 10! :laughing:

I noticed my thermostat stopped working about 3-4 year old. So I just hook it to 12v and start the tractor and go in warm weather. I don't bother with it in winter. Some day I'll put it on a switch.

I also tied a 6" piece of orange caution tape to the fan shroud. When the fan is running, it blows up and I can see it on.

Fuse is good, need to try the orange tape then drive it around.. For now waiting on a new fuel pump will here by Friday.. Didn't realize until I read all of the comments that it takes that long to come on. My last PT didn't have a cooler. Good tip on the tape thanks..

/ Fan / Thermostat
If you are concerned that the fan is functional, you could always bypass the thermal switch to see if the fan comes on.

All the best,

Peter

Thanks Ponytug first thing I did, it does come on.. :thumbsup:

/ Fan / Thermostat #19  
I put an in-line spade connector on my fan wire. So I have to open the engine cover to connect it and again when I shut it off. On the down side, if I forget to connect it, I can get the thing pretty hot. On the plus side, it makes me look in the engine compartment before and after I operate the machine, which I should be doing anyway. :rolleyes:

/ Fan / Thermostat
I put an in-line spade connector on my fan wire. So I have to open the engine cover to connect it and again when I shut it off. On the down side, if I forget to connect it, I can get the thing pretty hot. On the plus side, it makes me look in the engine compartment before and after I operate the machine, which I should be doing anyway. :rolleyes:

I was also thinking about a switch. Someone on here said it shouldn't be on all the time. During the winter I would agree. But in extreme heat conditions with my 180.. I always had the feeling it it was running way too hot.

In fact I had a powerful outdoor fan I would leave running in the yard. I would pull the PT up next to it to help cool everything down after working hard in the heat.

Leaving it on during those times seems to make sense to me.. Not only for the cooler but maybe to help circulate more air to the engine.