Farm implements

/ Farm implements #1  

Lilguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I may need to plant 5 acres that I use to have farmed by local farmers. Need to know what I need to run Corn or Soybeans. I have a Kubota B2601, is it even possible to do it with this tractor?
Taxes increase approx $100/acre to $2300/acre if the land is not farmed. I can buy most inpliments except the seed planter reasonably. Could probably rent one for as little as it値l be used. Don稚 need to be in business or make money, just needs crops growing on it. Any input greatly appreciated.

/ Farm implements #2  
Lot of Options Lil, in my opinion.

First crops: If you plant corn/soybeans/wheat/whatever, you will need to replant annually, adding to recurring costs. Harvest cost will take a lot of the income as well. If you can plant a type of grass or alfalfa, planting one time will last several years.

If there are hay operators in your area, you might be able to work a deal that they harvest the hay for a share, say half. They might even buy your share, so you don't have to mess with it. Having only 5 acres, it might be too small for them to mess with, especially if they have large equipment.

Years ago, I had a 20 hp JD and two implements: a 7 ft sickle mower and a 6 foot spring chisel. Using the chisel 4-5 times, I was able to tranform the good soil from weeds/grass into something I could plant. So if you decide to do it yourself, I'd recommend a small pull type or mounted chisel plow.

You could also "farm" part of it yourself and put the rest in hay.

Wow, just re-read and saw the tax amount. I can't see you ever showing a profit on it! Pls talk with your tax person. If you can claim a farm, you might be able to gains some deductions and the losses might help.

Hope this helps.
Ron

/ Farm implements #3  
I agree. Go for a hay crop. If it was farmed this past Summer it could now be seeded with minimal effort on your part.

/ Farm implements #4  
Does 5 acres qualify where you live? Here it has to be 10 or more. Hay definitely requires the lowest input and may be easiest to sell. In my state one needs to file income tax form 1040F I believe or have a farmer renting sign reflecting that he farmed it. I rent from only 2 but my brother in law rents from 21, as few small acreages like yours. He writes them a rent check to show a transaction too place but most don't cash them. They are looking for the ag land credit.

/ Farm implements #5  
You can do no till, it will give you best yield if done right, you just need a no till drill and a sprayer.

Plant cover crops, let them root, spray and kill those then drill with cash crop seed. Then harvest.

You can till but if no till is done right is easier on the ground and yields more.

Hay is easiest though, buy a harrow, make a harrow or buy a disk, even out the ground, plant a good mixture of grasses, whatever grows good locally (timothy, orchard etc.), alfalfa is important. A farmer down the road planted oats in with his hay mix, I got a bale of that and my cattle tore it up!

He baled it too wet (oats take longer to dry when cut), he said I could have that round bale if I fed it to my cattle soon, so I drove my tractor to the field and took it directly to my pasture.

If I had 5 acres, I would seed it with a kick butt mix of grasses, fence it in and put 4-6 steers on it if water was easy enough to get to. Cattle don’t really need shelter, I opened a stall to mine and they lay out in the field.

/ Farm implements #6  
I agree. Go for a hay crop. If it was farmed this past Summer it could now be seeded with minimal effort on your part.

I certainly agree with the others -- go the hay route. You can use a spike harrow or some cheap used light tilling device with that B2601. Also get a small pto driven spreader/seeder. Many auctions and sales offer those things. Also try Craig's List. But it may be best to do a bit more study before you leap.

Both corn and soybean crops that you mentioned require some serious expensive equipment for harvesting, even if you get past the planting challenges. But FIRST, go read all the regulations about what qualifies you for agricultural usage. In the state I am most familiar with, the county assessors have you fill out a 3 or 4 page form and they go do a determination. I get back a "Farm Use Valuation" approval letter annually from that process. I would think your's is county too, not state.

Depending on circumstances (you probably already tried this or would not be asking...) it may be worthwhile to spend a little more time hunting for renters or farmers willing to lease the land for AG purposes. I would not pile much $ into farm equipment based on 5 acres. UNLESS of course you really want to do a little farming. Possibilities are nearly endless. In some places just running a few head of cattle on the place qualifies. Fences of course are an issue. So is the surroundings and what both you and the neighbors will tolerate for animal habitat. Odds are you have neighbors in similar situations. Ask them what got approval in their experience.

Again, study the rules first.

/ Farm implements #7  
Don't even bother trying to farm 5 acres, contact local smaller farmers then you pay them with a check to farm your ground and they buy the crop with a check. In many areas for ground to be taxed as ag it has to have a verifyable income from ag use, if the income required is $5000 then you write the farmer a check for $5500 and he writes you one for $5200 you can show a copy of the check and a deposit receipt for enough to meet requirements and the farmer can afford to come in and crop your small area for the few hundred you payed him.
Or you can spend $20,000 to $100,000 to putter around on it and not have a verifiable use.
Enjoy

/ Farm implements #8  
Don't even bother trying to farm 5 acres, contact local smaller farmers then you pay them with a check to farm your ground and they buy the crop with a check. In many areas for ground to be taxed as ag it has to have a verifyable income from ag use, if the income required is $5000 then you write the farmer a check for $5500 and he writes you one for $5200 you can show a copy of the check and a deposit receipt for enough to meet requirements and the farmer can afford to come in and crop your small area for the few hundred you payed him.
Or you can spend $20,000 to $100,000 to putter around on it and not have a verifiable use.
Enjoy

The problem with that, is you now have an additional $5200 income to claim with the IRS, and the farmer has an additional $5500 income also.

/ Farm implements #9  
The problem with that, is you now have an additional $5200 income to claim with the IRS, and the farmer has an additional $5500 income also.

The farmer has a wash, the home owner is still coming out ahead.

/ Farm implements #10  
Taxes would be $2300 an acre? Holy cow!

Agree with others here. Hay would be easy, but I think a bigger tractor might be needed. How about a few sheep or goats?

What are the chances you could plant trees and get a forest designation? By far, that is the easiest in my opinion, and it’s what we are doing with our ranch. 85 acres, taxes are $2650 per year.