Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor?

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #22  
Two friends that use(d) Cubs to mow 3/4-1 1/2ac lawns weekly have different opinions. One's 48" OEM single-blade did ok for mowing his ~3/4ac back yard. (I had a few turns :), few 'hays row') The other just hated the 60" 3-spindle MM Woods, gave me a hook-up deal, and I broomed it pronto.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #24  
We have a old cub. We mounted a belly mount 4' mower with a Honda motor by making a few brackets and a pully! If you only want to mow, are mechanically inclined it makes a nice setup for that! We mow between xmas trees! Other than that go newer!

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #25  
My grandfather had a 1949 Cub he bought new since there was an International dealer along one part of his place. He also bought about every attachment at the time for it.
I bought a 1950 Cub here years ago since attachments fit I could borrow.
Four cylinder 10hp and growing up we did amazing things with it like pulling tree stumps.
As a stupid kid once going up a steep hill in first I wondered what would happen if I shoved in the clutch letting it roll back then popping clutch. Of course it stood straight up luckily falling forward it almost went over backwards.
My neighbor friend ran a dairy farm and had to move a loaded hay wagon. His tractor was being repaired but the Cub did the job which he couldn't believe. Very slow but worked.
Great little tractor for about 30 acres or less.
Both the '49 & '50 had a PTO v-belt pulley, mine had a 90deg. adapter so a sickle bar, belly mower, etc could be run off of it.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #26  
Obviously, I love the Cubs. The A and Super A are also great tractors. They both have their limits when compared to a modern compact tractor...but there's something about a Cub that makes my juices flow.

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor?
OMG. I ran one of those for several years as a kid with a one row cultivator under it. I hated that tractor; but it sure beat hand weeding and bending over in the hot sun. I'm thinking 15 hp was about it?
On the newer ones after 1975, yes. Before that, about 9 or so. Wish they had more gears…

The Cub does not have a Three Point Hitch.

Finding Cub compatible implements can require time consuming searches.

There was a Cub for sale locally 2-3 years ago for $1,800 that I wanted because it was so interesting but my work is woods related rather than small farm oriented so I passed.

I follow Ledgemere Farm on YouTube.

Tractors changed radically after Henry Ford licensed Harry Ferguson's tractor and Three Point Hitch design in 1939. Further industry wide changes occurred after 1955, when Ferguson's patents began to expire and his tractor and Three Point Hitch design were available to industry participants besides Ford without hinder.

Improvements in approximate order: 4-WD, Industrial Tires, Power Steering, "independent" PTOs, Loaders, Diesel Engines, Category 2-3-4-5 TPH, TPH Landscaping tractors of <2,000 pounds bare tractor weight, hydrostatic transmissions, shuttle shift gear transmissions, Cabs with heat and AC. And, continuously, shields separating operator from moving parts.
Thank You 😊

I have 2 140s and personally I wouldn't run anything off the PTO. I got mine strictly for farming a garden and there's nothing better than one for that. Jeff said they don't have a 3PH but you can absolutely get a 3 PH setup for them. My preference if I were going to get one would be to get the belly cultivator setup for it. Here in the southeast parts can still be bought for them. I'll post some pics tomorrow showing how my 140 is setup. Really good 140s around here go for $7000 to $10,000.
I have a 140 too. You hop on that and the Cub feels like a baby toy. 🥸

/ Farmall Cub-Still a Good Small Farm Tractor? #30  
Some pictures, my Dad (rip) on granddad's (rip) Cub.
Literature
Good memories...
20210726_172232.jpg
20210726_171924.jpg
20210726_172311.jpg
20210726_172436.jpg
20210726_172413.jpg

Attachments

• 20210726_171937.jpg
    20210726_171937.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 86