Farmer killed on road

/ Farmer killed on road #41  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it legal for someone to simply stand in the middle of a public highway with a stop sign? What constitutes a )</font>

Around here.. even if a pedestrian is 'j-walking' .. the law gives them the right of way and you are sopposed to stop for them. Kinda like water-way rules... smallest engine /boat gets the right of way...

Soundguy

/ Farmer killed on road #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've heard that a lot of cop cars parked beside the road with lights flashing (perhaps while giving out a ticket) get rear ended for that very reason.. people tend to steer toward where they are looking. Don't know if this is true.. any of you law enforecement folks out there had problems with this? )</font>

Yep, it's true. Using amber lights to the rear instead of red, blue, or white helped a lot, but there continues to be a number of them hit from the rear by high speed and/or drunk drivers.

I also occasionally see an officer standing between his car and a car he has stopped, and could never understand an officer doing that. One of the things I learned in the police academy nearly 40 years ago was about the number of officers who've had their legs broken (or worse) when someone hits and knocks their car into the car they had stopped.

/ Farmer killed on road #43  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I also occasionally see an officer standing between his car and a car he has stopped, and could never understand an officer doing that. One of the things I learned in the police academy nearly 40 years ago was about the number of officers who've had their legs broken (or worse) when someone hits and knocks their car into the car they had stopped. )</font>

There is a big difference between 40 years ago when you were in training and now. A lot of the new guys don't want to learn from the old timers and seem to have to learn the lessons the hard way. Some are stubborn and some are obstinate, and others just don't know any better. Today, it seems that most of them have the attitude of "I know it all!"...... It is a hard job, and sometimes a thankless one also, but that is no reason not to learn from others past experiences. Life is too short to learn everything the hard way........ not enough time.....

/ Farmer killed on road #44  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yep, it's true. Using amber lights to the rear instead of red, blue, or white helped a lot, but there continues to be a number of them hit from the rear by high speed and/or drunk drivers.)</font>

I wouldn't think you guys would be very comfortable standing next to the pulled over car, either.

I'm not sure how far off-topic this is, since we're talking safety, being seen etc., but one question: when an officer pulls behind a moving car and turns on his lights, I would assume what they are telling you is pull over *at the next safe place to do so* rather than stop immediately. If they wanted immediate, they'd hit the siren also? Otherwise, slowing down, putting on the right turn signal, and perhaps even going an extra few hundred feet to where there's a store to pull into might be appreciated by the officer? Or no?

I know.. it's probably one of those common-sense things.. except it might be wrong.

I don't know a good place to ask officers this sort of thing except to call their station, and I presume they get enough phone calls already. Is there something like a citizen/police FAQ someplace that talks about these common but rarely discussed little questions?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Farmer killed on road #45  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Is it legal for someone to simply stand in the middle of a public highway with a stop sign? What constitutes a )</font>

Around here.. even if a pedestrian is 'j-walking' .. the law gives them the right of way and you are sopposed to stop for them. Kinda like water-way rules... smallest engine /boat gets the right of way...

Soundguy )</font>

Yes, but the unwritten law of gross tonnage is always in effect...

boxman

/ Farmer killed on road #46  
Bird,

Or when you see a traffic stop and the patrol car's wheels are
not turned to the right....

Later,
Dan

/ Farmer killed on road #47  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would assume what they are telling you is pull over *at the next safe place to do so* rather than stop immediately )</font>

Actually, Bob, in Texas at least, it makes no difference whether the police car is using both the flashing lights and the siren, or whether only one of those is being used, but as a practical matter, most officers use only the lights to start with, and then use the siren also if the lights alone do not get the other driver's attention. As far as I know, the following is the only "law" on this topic in Texas:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 545.156. Vehicle Approached by Authorized Emergency Vehicle

(a) On the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle using audible and visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, or of a police vehicle lawfully using only an audible signal, an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:

(1) yield the right-of-way;

(2) immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection; and

(3) stop and remain standing until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

(b) This section does not exempt the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
)</font>

In other words, the same law applies whether yielding for an emergency vehicle passing, or being stopped by an officer.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Otherwise, slowing down, putting on the right turn signal, and perhaps even going an extra few hundred feet to where there's a store to pull into might be appreciated by the officer? Or no? )</font>

That is commonly done. There are actually some business owners who will object if an officer comes onto their property to write a traffic citation, and therefore, some departments have a policy of asking a violator to drive back out onto the street and stop at the curb before the officer talks to them about the violation, so it's a little hard to say. Personally, if stopped, I would get out of the street into big parking lots, such as Wal-Mart, shopping centers, etc., but would not turn into a service station, small convenience store parking, etc. In other words, I would not pull onto private property where there would be any possibility of anyone even thinking that I might be blocking other traffic from coming and going to or from that property. I've no doubt that most, if not all, officers appreciate it when a person being stopped uses the turn signals, and moves as far to the right as possible and continues to a place he can get out of the traffic lanes before stopping. (I've actually had people stop in the middle lane of Interstate Freeways /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( probably one of those common-sense things.. except it might be wrong )</font>

It would certainly seem to be, but since police officers are humans, too, not all of them always use common sense. Fortunately, most do. Personally, I would slow down, but not stop until I could get out of the traffic lane at the curb or on the shoulder of the road, but if there's no such place in sight (such as on a narrow one or two lane road with borrow ditches on each side) and the officer decided to use his siren, also, then I'd go ahead and stop there as far to the right as I could safely get. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Farmer killed on road #48  
Yeah, Dan, if the patrol should get rearended, it would be nice if it went to the right instead of back out into the traffic lanes, wouldn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Farmer killed on road #49  
Thanks for the detailed reply, Bird!

Things like that help. I try to be a good citizen, and I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there are always a bunch of little things like this that it would be nice to pick officer's brains about. It would also probably be a full time job to learn all of the laws, and even then there are the fuzzy areas. It's great getting feedback from people who actually do this kind of work.

I wish there were a forum somewhere in which citizens could talk to officers and clear up misunderstandings, clarify what certain things mean, determine when an officer might want assistance and when it would be inappropriate to offer, etc..

Perfect example.. it hadn't even occured to me that a store owner might object.. but now that you point it out it seems obvious.

If you or any other law enforcement person here knows of such a place, I'd greatly appreciate a link to it. It would maybe be a good P.R. thing for a police department to set up if there isn't one. Or maybe just a law enforcement board which would tolerate civilians lurking?

Thanks again,
Bob

/ Farmer killed on road #50  
Bob, I don't know of such a web site (of course I also don't know that they don't exist either). A lot of departments have a "Citizen's Police Academy" for those who want to attend, then there are Neighborhood Watch programs, and things like that. Trouble is, you have to attend those things and they're time consuming, so the majority of people never get involved, and I can certainly understand that.