Fast Internet

/ Fast Internet #1  

JESSE1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 6400
My only option for years was either dial-up or Hughesnet. Hughesnet Gen5 worked pretty good until covid hit and then I was lucky to get 2 mbps and no upload. I put a deposit down on Starlink in February '21 but even now it's still not in my area. Last November I was able to get T Mobil 5G home internet with speeds over 150mbps. In June they upgraded the tower and my speeds doubled to over 300mbps. The county I live in has made a push to get fiber optic cable available to anyone who wants it and a month ago they ran a line down my road. Yesterday I had Frontier Gig service installed, 1000mbps. Never thought I'd be able to get fiber optic. Quite a difference in a year's time.

Last edited:
   / Fast Internet #2  
Congrats, I'm still living in the 3rd world here in Canada when it comes to internet yet I'm paying top tier first world rates for internet and cellular. Sad part is I'm on the boarder of the GTA not up north in the boonies.

/ Fast Internet #3  
Good Deal... had DSL or SAT but SAT problematic as forested in Washington.

Nearly 15k to bring in Comcast a few years back.

I wish I had the cell phone hotspot option which isn't even an option at my SF Bay Area location...

Seems anyplace I like is not conducive to connectivity!

ATT fiber is coming in but I hear hardware rental required...

/ Fast Internet #4  
Good for you. That is good news. I have Google fiber in the city, but rural is dsl - a lot of problems. There was a time that the service would drop, then reconnect. And that would initiate the complete install and login process. A real Pain.
I was not happy dealing with ATT. Directv was great until they bought it. Then you could call India.

Enjoy the faster speeds, especially the upload speeds.

/ Fast Internet #5  
Congats. It is still very hit and miss on internet and even cell phone service in the countryside. We have good cell phone service and moderate internet (25 mbs microwave). We have neighbors living a few miles in either direction that have internet options ranging from DSL to 150mbs fiber. Starlink worked well for people who signed up early, but has been a bust for those who haven't. Hughesnet along with their competitors are not worth getting. If you indeed use high speed internet, you will run out of speed in a hurry.

/ Fast Internet #7  
LOL.

I am in an internet desert. 70 miles outside of our Nations Capital as the crow flies and if it lands on the cell tower, it's all over.

And let us not talk of obstructions as there are none.

Even Starlink has failed to deliver in the area and I dropped off the original offering list as the date kept getting pushed back.

/ Fast Internet #8  
I've had fiber for decades and can't imagine living without it at this point. I'm between rural and suburbia, so i was a bit surprised that they hit us so quickly. I sometimes forget that not everyone is that lucky. I'll be moving further out in a few years but no where that doesn't have starlink or fiber. I don't think I could take the shock.

/ Fast Internet #9  
Both our local telco and (then) Time-Warner cable ran fiber down my road about 10 years ago, though neither offers fiber-to-the-home (it's either DSL or copper cable). Depending on which speed test I use I'm getting between 45 & 90 down and 5-11 up. Good enough for anything I need to do.
Not sure why they ran it down my relatively lightly populated road and bypassed a nearby state highway, but I'm not complaining!

/ Fast Internet #10  
To my complete surprise they ran fiber down my lead to nowhere country lane 2 years ago, I bundled TV, internet and home phone with them. I picked the lowest speed offered, 30 up 10 down and it works like a charm. Maybe I am missing something but I dont understand paying extra for blazing speed.