Fast Internet

/ Fast Internet
I paid about $95/month for Hughesnet. T Mobil with autopay was $50/month. The Frontier Gig plan will be $65/month.

/ Fast Internet #12  
There may be federal grants to bring faster internet to rural areas, I know they've been talking about it.
My internet can be as slow as old fashioned dial up... I complained to my ISP a couple of years ago so they ran a test and I'm only running at about 10% capacity. They said they'd send someone out to look at it and gave me a date... I left the house and 3 hours later found a message stating they had been to the house, fixed it, and I was good to go. Yeah, right. Nobody had been here.

/ Fast Internet #13  
We bought the Starlink package a while back and couldn't be happier. It spikes up to 350 mbps but usually runs around 120-150 . 50 Mbps on a really stormy night . We can now run multiple things in 4K. Sure beats the Xplornet that we had before. . It was a 10 Mbps package that ran off cell phone towers . I was averaging 1.5 Mbps and on peak hours could barely get on the net sometimes. Kinda pricey but well worth it !

/ Fast Internet #14  
To my complete surprise they ran fiber down my lead to nowhere country lane 2 years ago, I bundled TV, internet and home phone with them. I picked the lowest speed offered, 30 up 10 down and it works like a charm. Maybe I am missing something but I dont understand paying extra for blazing speed.
Most people don't need the blazing speed for regular home use, the speed you have is fine. If you get a bunch of people at your house using the internet simultaneously, things might be different.

/ Fast Internet #15  
I paid about $95/month for Hughesnet. T Mobil with autopay was $50/month. The Frontier Gig plan will be $65/month.
I hope they move a few counties north of you! I have Frontier fiber in the city. It works pretty good.

/ Fast Internet #16  
I had Time Warner business class service. They were good until Spectrum took over. Final straw was telephone modem went out and they didn't get a tech out to replace it for 3 days. For a business !!! T/W service guarantee was 4 hours.

Switch to ATT fiber for less cost. Actually, much better since the service is immune to lightning storms. As for the equipment rental... Only $10 per month and includes WiFi. I'm happy with it.

/ Fast Internet #17  
I won't touch AT&T for free. I had them for internet and landline, but had DTV for shows. We got 2X the speed from Charter (pre Spectrum) for 1/2 the price so we switched. Then DTV got bought by AT&T. Service went to heck. So we dropped them completely.

Spectrum dropped too much during C19, so we added the Frontier and had them both while 5 of us were working/in school.

/ Fast Internet #18  
I had Time Warner business class service. They were good until Spectrum took over. Final straw was telephone modem went out and they didn't get a tech out to replace it for 3 days. For a business !!! T/W service guarantee was 4 hours.
Just the opposite here. We had ~15 when we first signed up under TW. Since they became Spectrum they've periodically increased the speeds without upgrading our plan. Supposedly their entry level in my area offers "up to" 250. I'm paying a little more than I did back then, but I'm paying more for 'most everything else too!
No, I don't understand the need for gigabit speeds unless you're running a large business. Just me and the wife, and neither of us are online that much, all we have is a couple PCs and a couple Roku boxes.
There may be federal grants to bring faster internet to rural areas, I know they've been talking about it.
I'm pretty sure that's what paid for ours about 10 years ago, I've heard that there's another round of grants in the works to expand it further.

/ Fast Internet #19  
A few months ago I signed up with Frontier and the only thing available was DSL with 20down 1up speed but it was easy to install since I already had a phone line installed 30 years ago. Looks like they are going to run more fiber down my road (and it seems every road in my area) so I assume there may be more options in the future. Can I assume to get higher speeds a cable would need to be run from the main line to my house? If so, Do they charge for that? My biggest issue with what I have is not speed but reliability. Not sure if the occasional outages are from them hooking more up to the system or they just have crappy service. I know their service support is poor.

/ Fast Internet #20  
A few months ago I signed up with Frontier and the only thing available was DSL with 20down 1up speed but it was easy to install since I already had a phone line installed 30 years ago. Looks like they are going to run more fiber down my road (and it seems every road in my area) so I assume there may be more options in the future. Can I assume to get higher speeds a cable would need to be run from the main line to my house? If so, Do they charge for that? My biggest issue with what I have is not speed but reliability. Not sure if the occasional outages are from them hooking more up to the system or they just have crappy service. I know their service support is poor.
Not familiar with Frontier...are they a phone company or a cable company? I guess how they delivered the "last mile" to your house would depend on how that company does things. While both the phone company (Fairpoint at the time) and Time-Warner ran fiber, in both cases the actual neighborhood distribution was copper. In the case of the phone company, it was DSL, I'm not sure exactly where their equipment is, but I the nearest equipment box of theirs is at the end of the road, about 2.5 mi. away so the DSL isnt' going to be all that fast.
The TW equipment is hung on the line itself, and the nearest one is only a couple poles away.

I asked the Spectrum tech once why they did it this way, and he claimed it was considerably more expensive to run fiber directly to each customer.