Fasteners ETC

/ Fasteners ETC
Deere uses high grade metric carriage bolts for their two piece wheels 10.8 iirc.
It would be nice to have some of those/Grade8 equivalent. Gr5 though is much less expensive on KR and is amply strong for most of my applications. And ~ often in a pinch a Gr8 Hex head could be adapted.

/ Fasteners ETC #12  
We have a lumber company that carries all
sorts of bolts nuts {for the nuts looking for
them} metric, standard, and even plastic nuts
bolts, washers etc. All kinds of screws, nails,
rivets

willy

/ Fasteners ETC #13  
Lots of time you find yourself looking for the right fastener, washer, nut, etc. Heres a company with a great selection that will sell by the piece on line. An order above $50 is shipped free. ... When you see the selection and prices it isnt hard to get there just to have frequently used items on hand. NOT just carriage bolts.

Carriage Bolts Grade 5 Zinc
May I ask what are you using grade 5 carriage bolts for?

Last edited:
   / Fasteners ETC
May I ask what are you using grade 5 carriage blots for?
Sure.
UM-mm. Near everything where carriage bolts are called for now. The cost/benefit of the better metal is superior when you can find a source like KR and keep a multi type and size bolt selection on hand for insurance/convenience . Its easy to justify spending $65 at reasonable piece prices for free shipping.

As for the instigating incident , :unsure: I think it was to replace the Gr2 carriage bolts that hold the replaceable blades on a post hole auger. The A307 ones just couldnt be sufficiently torqued. They were failing and causing damage to the auger. I hate it when a bolt stretches before its time.

/ Fasteners ETC #15  
Really don't care about grade for most carriage bolt application because they are in wood, and wood will rip/crash/tear/crumble before bolt ever breaks....
But for what its worth...

Screenshot 2022-12-11 192400.jpg

/ Fasteners ETC #17  
ArlyA, I've never seen a tool like you show in post#6? What kind of ripper is that, how is it used, and what for?? It looks "tremendously" big and must take a "large" hp unit to run it? Just curious.

/ Fasteners ETC #18  
ArlyA, I've never seen a tool like you show in post#6? What kind of ripper is that, how is it used, and what for?? It looks "tremendously" big and must take a "large" hp unit to run it? Just curious.
Its a cutting edge in a snow implement. Here is another photo They not all that big.
new drag teeth.jpg

/ Fasteners ETC
Same here, mild steel carriage bolts in wood are fine.
What wood? Oak or rock maple timbers? How used? Big washers or spreader plates? etc.

/ Fasteners ETC #20  
Thanks ArlyA, I now see the machine and know what it is. That other picture posted just "looked" huge and I had no idea what it might have been for! Must have been an extreme close-up pic. Thanks for clarifying for me. Greg