Faulty Spray cans increasing ?

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
As I age, I find the.number of spray cans that stop spraying, ( clog ?) Is increasing . Whether it be spray chain lube, or spray paint, or spray.multi use grease, Wd40 .
....etc etc.. The spray paints I use the " turn upside down and spray" before putting half can away, but usually a few months later you will get 30 seconds out of can and be done....throw can away one third paint still in.. but most frustrating is Wd40 or chain lube spray cans. No tricks work it seems, tried soaking nozzles in varsol , shake them well...... ....are these being made made cheaper than before ? Any tricks ? Yes I have a heated garage that never gets below 50 degrees farenheit.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #2  
I have 3 spray cans of various types of oil, one of them wd 40. it is firstly a waste of money but also frustrating to have to go out and get another can for whatever I am doing when feel most of a can full. I am fairly rural (admittedly less all the time) and it is not 2 minutes away.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #4  
Yep, a compressor and one of the old school non-osha rubber tip guns that give full pressure from a pinhole. They clear a plugged pickup tube easily, you can hear the bubbling.
IMG_20170622_132830.jpg
IMG_20170622_132830.jpg

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #6  
I find the paint in the rattle cans the worst for clogging the nozzle. Seems they need an extra long shaking and twirling. I attribute the clogs to clumps of pigment.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #7  
If the product in a fizz can won't come out, here is the fix... Tape the can to a reciprocating saw blade and slowly squeeze the trigger. Don't go full speed until you are sure there is enough tape holding it secure.

Shake it for 20 seconds or until you stop laughing at how silly it looks.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #8  
It's common,there's not much you can do to prevent it and mfgrs certainly don't want to because it make's them money. The problem started when EPA regulations forbid releasing most refrigerants. Mfgrs briefly used propane which worked well albeit not as well as earlier refrigerants. Liability and lawyers ended the pratice of using propane so they began using refrigerants which weren't banned for release. Current Rs don't have near the pressure curve as earlier Rs or propane. If the contents are used at 80f,you can pretty much use the intire contents "IF" a liitle is used,can alowed to warm back to 80f and a bit more used until it's all gone. If sprayed at 50f,twice as much propellant is used compared to 80f. I'm not going to teach a 101 course on the subject so if you want to better understand,google "temperature pressure chart". Re-pressurizing can with air hose is short lived and must be done over and over. If you are going to mess with re-pressurizing,use propane or freon. Handy-Dandy Tips,cool spray can in freezer and turn nurse tank upside down while charging so that liquid flow's and the whole can will spray without recharging and like the old days can will still spew after all the contents are gone.
I toss paint in trash, poke a hole in lubricant cans and pour them in a gallon jug with transmission fluid and diesel laced with acetone.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #9  
As I age, I find the.number of spray cans that stop spraying, ( clog ?) Is increasing . Whether it be spray chain lube, or spray paint, or spray.multi use grease, Wd40 .
....etc etc.. The spray paints I use the " turn upside down and spray" before putting half can away, but usually a few months later you will get 30 seconds out of can and be done....throw can away one third paint still in.. but most frustrating is Wd40 or chain lube spray cans. No tricks work it seems, tried soaking nozzles in varsol , shake them well...... ....are these being made made cheaper than before ? Any tricks ? Yes I have a heated garage that never gets below 50 degrees farenheit.
Manufacturers have had to switch to non-fluorinated propellants for everything from spray paint and degreasers to even Albuterol inhalers for asthma sufferers. My wife has used these inhalers most of her life and for the last dozen years or so she has had to rinse the dispensers in hot water after just a few uses to unclog them.

Apparently these efforts have been very successful in saving the planet because now we no longer hear about the disappearing ozone layer every evening on the news.

/ Faulty Spray cans increasing ? #10  
If the product in a fizz can won't come out, here is the fix... Tape the can to a reciprocating saw blade and slowly squeeze the trigger. Don't go full speed until you are sure there is enough tape holding it secure.

Shake it for 20 seconds or until you stop laughing at how silly it looks.
When you don't want to look silly