Favorite diesel can?

/ Favorite diesel can? #51  
While the ones I linked to are expensive, they really to work well, at least for me. I put the can on the arm rest of my seat and that is the perfect so I don't need to hold it up and then just pull the trigger.

I know this is about diesel, but I have 2 red cans for gas that I've had for almost 30 years and will keep them till I die because they don't have any safety features, just open them up, open the vent and pour.

/ Favorite diesel can? #52  
I have two or three 5 gallon cans like John_Mc has, but needed more so I bought a couple of cans like Yander posted because they don't have those stupid epa spouts on them. The good thing about them is they hold more (5.5 gallons), the large opening makes them super easy to fill, and they take less floor space. However, they are taller than my 5 gallon cans and don't fit upright in the trunk of my small car.

/ Favorite diesel can? #53  
The cost of a 15-100 gallon tank, plus a pump. That is quality enough to last. Compared to 3-5 five gallon cans…it’s a no brainer for me.

Plus as soon as you get beyond 10 gallons the ability to move your tank around by hand quickly gets really hard.

I like VP race cans, can pour it like you mean it and they are tough. I’d like to have a 250-500 gal tank to fill once a year when prices are low but I’d still probably fill my tractors with five gallon cans a lot. I hay and all the places I hay are far from home, not uncommon for me to burn 30 gallons in a day between my two small hay tractors. I’d never mount a tank in my truck, maybe a skid, but five gallon cans are just too cheap and easy for us guys that aren’t using 100s of gallons a day.
B63B174E-E4C9-4673-9EDA-28F790FAC28A.jpeg
Winning Combination - will pump 5 gallons in about a minute or less. Place jug on hand truck, roll up to tractor, insert pump in jug, insert tube from pump (you supply tube) connect to your 12 volt battery and flip on switch. If you have 11 gallon or more tank then fill when showing less than 1/2 tank that way no problems of over fill. (This advice is from an old man that has had three hernia operations and can't afford any more)

Attachments

• 10C669AD-9559-4D9B-A676-4E4869573827.jpeg
    10C669AD-9559-4D9B-A676-4E4869573827.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
   / Favorite diesel can? #54  
.... so long as I don't have to lift it! :p My new fuel nozzle will arrive today. She's got auto shut off, baby (y)
Got caught snoozing :sleep: while filling the tractor last week. Over full o_O
I don't. I fill from a 500 gallon bulk tank with an electric pump. In the field, if I run low, I may use a 5 gallon plastic can but I use one of those HF battery powered pumps (10 bucks) with Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. No lifting involved and my cabin tractor has saddle tanks and a pretty low (under the left front window) filler while my OS has it's filler mounted on the back, above the 3PH and I use the HF pump on both. Actually have a couple of them. Cheap enough at HF and work quite well.

/ Favorite diesel can? #55  
I strapped 2 30gal fuel caddy units to a pallet and fork it on and off the truck to fill them, one for gas & one for diesel. Just a temporary setup until I can get a heavier duty base and make some brackets to bolt them down, also want to add a filter to the diesel pump.

Want to say they were about $250 ea on Amazon; Not the cheapest option, but they've been working well and are more convenient than filling a bunch of smaller cans. The only issue I foresee in the near future are the cheap hand pumps & wood pump handles, but can upgrade when they give up the ghost.

20230330_184337.jpg

20230316_150134.jpg

/ Favorite diesel can? #56  
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, and apologies for... 'unconventional methods'. A local auto service facility buys their motor oil in 5 gallon jugs. They give them away when empty.

The neck of the top half of a 1 gallon milk jug wedges tightly into the neck of a Kubota diesel tractor tank and forms a nice funnel, and the large diameter cap of the 5 gallon jug pours fast and easy.

Or so I've heard.

/ Favorite diesel can? #57  
I strapped 2 30gal fuel caddy units to a pallet and fork it on and off the truck to fill them, one for gas & one for diesel. Just a temporary setup until I can get a heavier duty base and make some brackets to bolt them down, also want to add a filter to the diesel pump.

Want to say they were about $250 ea on Amazon; Not the cheapest option, but they've been working well and are more convenient than filling a bunch of smaller cans. The only issue I foresee in the near future are the cheap hand pumps & wood pump handles, but can upgrade when they give up the ghost.

View attachment 798070

View attachment 798068
When the pumps give up the ghost, Harbor Freight pumps to the rescue. That is what I fix my fuel caddy I found on the scrap pile at work had wrong with it when I saved it.

/ Favorite diesel can? #58  
You young guys can lift more than the older ones like me, so anything over
a five gallon lift is a struggle. Keep that in mind when buying. I have to use
the arms on loader to hold the can while pouring.

/ Favorite diesel can? #59  
Have been using FLO-FAST containers from northern tool and have had really good luck with them. They have 10-15 gal varieties that work pretty well. the ~10 gal ones fit nicely on a dolly and the 15 gal ones have an optional hand truck made specifically for the container. The rotary pump can do about 8 gals a minute and can be used for emptying as well as filling. I had an issue with one of the vents and they sent me a brand new container after emailing them. I would stay away from the Flo-n-go containers for portable use. the nozzle is a pain to use unless you elevate them and the wheels are pretty much useless. I would elevate mine using the FEL for gravity fed use.

/ Favorite diesel can? #60  
I've posted before. I really like my 50 gallon drum with a air pressure pump. I have replaced the cheap filter with a goldenrod clear filter, so I can see the water when it collects. I also have a drain screw near the bottom of the barrel to drain condensation. I used this pump 7 GPM Pneumatic Drum Extractor

To fill it I strap it in my trailer and take it to the station, which is legal enough for around here.

Joe

fuel.jpg