Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I thought it would be fun to share stupid craigslist experiences.

I had this old Farmall H farm tractor. Not a lick of paint left on it. We're talking a farm tractor here. I had it priced accordingly (cheap) and multiple photos of it in the Ad.

So this guy shows up and decides not to buy it because, and I quote, "I couldn't even drive it in a parade" I about died.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #2  
I've tried a couple of times to sell a car. I'm always annoyed that people try to talk you down on price before looking at it or driving it.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #3  
I'm 62 and drive a standard shift WRX - they all were until 2015. Thought about selling it last summer and two young men showed up and each decided they couldn't take a manual in traffic.....

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #4  
Never really had anything like that. I use craigslist allot but what i hate is that everyone contacts you but then won't get back to you. They will say that they want the item but then won't get ahold of you. Then the scammers

But i wish i could have a few good moments. But the people really do get a kick when they realize a 15 yr old is paying you a hand full of cash. I've just kinda bought and sold tractors over the last few years

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #5  
Last year I posted a free ad to get rid of some of the pile of horse manure. I figured a few people would show up wit pickups or trailers, I could load them with the FEL, win-win for everybody.

- One guy shows up with a "trailer", maybe it was converted from a snowmobile trailer? One bucket load fills the trailer about 1/4 and has the trailer scraping on the tires. He shovels off some and I send him down the road with a "good luck, slow down for the bumps"

- Next guy shows up with a nice shiny new Chevy 1/2 ton, 4wd, loaded, 4 door king cab road queen. Only problem is this truck has a 4-1/2, maybe 5 ft box? I really tried to scoop from the pile with just one side of my 6 or 7 foot bucket, but.......(I wonder if that pile of sh*t on his cab made it all the way home? Oh well I'm sure it washed off eventually) He actually tried to use a big sheet of cardboard wrapped around the tiny truck box as sideracks?!

- Best guy shows up in a minivan, with 5 gallon pails and a shovel. The best part was that he showed up wearing flip flops!!! Have at it dude I'll be standing over here laughing .

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #6  
Generally had good luck. Sold my unregistered truck, guy paid me and extra $100 on a $900 truck to drive it home for him.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #7  
I've never sold anything on Craigslist, but I do like it for browsing and occasionally buying stuff. I've found that some people post prices that are crazy high. So ridiculous that they are at or more then what I can get it brand new from the store or a dealer.

My favorite craigslist experiences are when I show up to buy what I'm wanting and the guy I talked to isn't there, and his wife is. I'm pretty sure he is hiding in the house, but he sends her out to play dumb and say "I don't know" over and over again. Then she has to go get the neighbor to come over and help me load it, while the neighbor is asking where her husband is, he just saw him ten minutes ago.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #8  
Last year I posted a free ad to get rid of some of the pile of horse manure. I figured a few people would show up wit pickups or trailers, I could load them with the FEL, win-win for everybody.

- One guy shows up with a "trailer", maybe it was converted from a snowmobile trailer? One bucket load fills the trailer about 1/4 and has the trailer scraping on the tires. He shovels off some and I send him down the road with a "good luck, slow down for the bumps"

- Next guy shows up with a nice shiny new Chevy 1/2 ton, 4wd, loaded, 4 door king cab road queen. Only problem is this truck has a 4-1/2, maybe 5 ft box? I really tried to scoop from the pile with just one side of my 6 or 7 foot bucket, but.......(I wonder if that pile of sh*t on his cab made it all the way home? Oh well I'm sure it washed off eventually) He actually tried to use a big sheet of cardboard wrapped around the tiny truck box as sideracks?!

- Best guy shows up in a minivan, with 5 gallon pails and a shovel. The best part was that he showed up wearing flip flops!!! Have at it dude I'll be standing over here laughing .

I tried the exact same thing. Free manure, all you care to take. The deal was if you wanted it loaded you gotta give me a few bucks to do it. That tractor doesn't run on good will after all. Had a few takers and it was all comical. The old half ton trucks that would take a bucket load and we're already on the stop blocks. Had a wheel chair bound guy ask me if the manure pile was wheel chIr accessible! ? How the heck do you answer a question like that? ?:confused: I finally just told him don't even bother, I don't know how to pull a wheel chair out of the mud.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #9  
I'm 62 and drive a standard shift WRX - they all were until 2015. Thought about selling it last summer and two young men showed up and each decided they couldn't take a manual in traffic.....
Not a CL story, but once needed tires for a manual shift car I had and went to Sears for a tire sale they had. An attendant at the service counter drove it into the tire bay and the tire "mechanic" set about changing the tires. I was watching most the time and when he was done got in the car and started it up. After about 5 minutes and no movement of the car he comes to the waiting area and asks me to drive the car out as he didn't know how to drive a stick shift with a clutch. That was the last time I went to Sears for tires or anything car related.

Craigslist....
- Several times I've gotten someone that says they'll be out to look at what I'm selling. They'll give an approximate time, I hang around waiting, and then they never show up or call back.
- Had a basketball hoop and backboard for sale really cheap. Had a potential buyer keep asking questions via email about size, would it fit on a pole, how heavy, etc. Must have been 8 or so emails with these sort of questions. Turned out he was only about a 10 minute drive away and he knew where I was, so he could have easily just driven to see it and avoided all the emails. He did finally buy it.

I've pretty much given up on Craigslist due to the scams and other crap that goes on.

/ Favorite Stupid Craigslist Experiences #10  
Bought and sold several items over the past few years, definitely have to be patient due to all the tire kickers that say they want it but never come back.

Best one so far, I sell some of my goat bucklings (not wethered) as soon as they are weened, they are from registered dairy herd so they are not good for meat just breeding so I price them cheap to move them out fast. That unfortunately gets me a lot of folks that know nothing about animals much less goats. One lady wanted a house pet, I told her that is not what I have, you need a puppy, she was adamant she wanted a goat, she claimed to have grown up on a farm and had goats. I guess her money is as good as any other. I tell to come visit and pick one out. You know it is going to be good when they show up in a Prius to get a goat. All of my goats are handled daily (dairy) and my bucks are bottle fed after the first month so they are friendly to say the least. I invite her to go in the buck pen and of course all my bucklings think it is dinner time and come running and she takes off for the gate but does not make it, they surround her. I yell to her to scratch them on the neck, they seem to like that. A few minutes later after what she thought was a narrow escape with her life, she asked what is that smell. I pointed to one of the bucks that was a little excited and peeing on his face, neck and front legs. I told that usually makes for a pretty aromatic smell after a few years of them doing that. I told her she needed to go to the shelter and give some poor old dog a good home. She seemed mad that I did not think a goat was a good pet for her. Go figure.