Fed up with the garden

/ Fed up with the garden #251  
In case some of you do not know. When you have a bountiful harvest, and you "share" your stuff, at least in my case, I end up throwing about half of what is given to me away.

"Share" is in quotation marks because most people are just trying to give crap away they cannot use. Most times they keep the good stuff and "share" the stuff that is not so good.

I end up feeling obligated to take stuff from friends even when I tell them I do not want it. At least I have a lot of wild critters that will consume most of it.

Heed the words of your friends when giving away stuff. Some of the stuff is very appreciated and is enjoyed. For example, we just got 6 tomatoes. That is about right for our lifestyle. The "sharer" told us we could have more and we declined. In the past, we would get a grocery bag full and it was way too much.

/ Fed up with the garden #252  
Planted some Lettuce (numerous kinds, Bibb and a Mesclun mix) and some kale yesterday. A couple more days of hot weather here and then it cools off. I hope it doesn't burn up. I will water it well the next couple of days.

/ Fed up with the garden #253  
My tomatoes were great, the peppers were so-so. That's all I planted.

At least we haven't had to lock our doors during zucchini season yet.

/ Fed up with the garden #254  
My tomatoes were great, the peppers were so-so. That's all I planted.

At least we haven't had to lock our doors during zucchini season yet.
I remember those days come out of the store and find a couple bags of yellow squash or zucchini in the back seat

Course that was back when nobody had AC in their vehicles and didn't lock their cars.

/ Fed up with the garden #255  
When we have way too much and the neighbors are full too that is when I wish we could have chickens or a pig. Either would love excess garden produce and will give you eggs or meat in return. When I was growing up the chickens loved the extra tomatoes and just about anything else we couldn't/wouldn't eat. Geese love anything green and do a good job converting it to goose poop. 😄

/ Fed up with the garden #256  
Picking at least this amount every other day now. Around here September is tomato month, we have a short season. Most people give up in our marine climate, but not me.
garden 2023 4.jpg

/ Fed up with the garden #257  
When we have way too much and the neighbors are full too that is when I wish we could have chickens or a pig. Either would love excess garden produce and will give you eggs or meat in return. When I was growing up the chickens loved the extra tomatoes and just about anything else we couldn't/wouldn't eat. Geese love anything green and do a good job converting it to goose poop. 😄
I thought that also. Then I got both and while the chickens really liked the squash the pigs couldn’t care less about it.

/ Fed up with the garden #258  
Planted some Lettuce (numerous kinds, Bibb and a Mesclun mix) and some kale yesterday. A couple more days of hot weather here and then it cools off. I hope it doesn't burn up. I will water it well the next couple of days.
Will be doing the same this weekend. Ripping out some of my tomato beds and planting some cool weather crops

/ Fed up with the garden
My spending money as a kid came from growing tomatoes for the local shipper who took our farms peaches.
I hate chickens for this reason.
About 3 times a week I would pick and pack my tomatoes. I'd bring them into the open bay of the barn to pack. You couldn't keep the F'nn free range chickens out of them. Don't dare take a break or go to the bathroom. They'd be all over the trailer.
The kicker was the yard out front had all sorts of tomatoes that had been thrown out just for them.
They wanted number one fresh.
A rooster paid the ultimate price for his tomato fetish.
I caught him on the trailer one afternoon and threw a large tomato at him. Direct hit in the head killed him.
Old man was pissed at me not so much for killing the rooster but that he had to clean him when it was mid80s outside.

/ Fed up with the garden #260  
You should have been a quarterback with that ability to throw a tomato on a dime.