Feed Prices

/ Feed Prices #1  

Moxie 15

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ferguson TE-A20
Is it just here in New Hampshire that feed prices have skyrocketed or is it everywhere?
In just over a year layer pellets have gone from $11.99 per 50# to $17.99, cracked corn form $9.99 per 50# to $14.99, goat pellets $12.99 to $17.99. This is same brands in the same store. This is beating my budget to pieces and winter is knocking on the door.
I did not mention cow feed as I have switched brands and from calf grain to grower grain but that is going up every month too. Its has been a wet summer and hay prices are climbing too.
But farming is easy and fun, just ask anyone in the city.

/ Feed Prices #2  
name something that isnt going up. (except your wealth)
price increases are affecting everyone.

hay prices are going up is good for us that sell hay. not so much for you that purchase hay.

/ Feed Prices #3  
Been getting mine straight from the mill for a couple years now but they did a big price jump earlier this summer. Corn went from $0.135/lb to $0.195/lb, all stock that I use for boer goats, hogs and cows only went up a penny. May not sound like much but when you drive off the scales with 1-2k lbs of feed that’s a noticeable price change in the budget.

Farmer I usually buy corn from went from $45 to $50 a barrel.

/ Feed Prices #4  
Of course it's skyrocketing everywhere.

Why in the hell would you think it's only in "your" area?

/ Feed Prices #5  
Corn usually makes up the majority % of livestock feed and its price is up last year after being below $4/bushel for most of the past 5-6 years. Soybeans and it’s meal are up too.

1633276108323.png

Last edited:
   / Feed Prices
Why in the hell would you think it's only in "your" area?

Well in the late 1980's I moved from Tennessee to Maine.
Soon after I got there gas prices went up 50 cents per gallon while it stayed the same in Tennessee. That is why the hell I wondered.

There are a lot of reasons that price can soar in one area of the country while not in others, and very few reasons to get snide with answers. Then, of course, I could have just wanted to hear others ***** about it so my misery had some company.

/ Feed Prices #7  
Been getting mine straight from the mill for a couple years now but they did a big price jump earlier this summer. Corn went from $0.135/lb to $0.195/lb, all stock that I use for boer goats, hogs and cows only went up a penny. May not sound like much but when you drive off the scales with 1-2k lbs of feed that’s a noticeable price change in the budget.

Farmer I usually buy corn from went from $45 to $50 a barrel.
If that's a 55 gallon barrel (about 320 pounds) he's selling it for about $0.156/lb.
This seems to be the norm in the "new" economy - prices got jacked up, blamed on Covid, the non-corporate small producer gets a little bit more. The final consumer sees it jacked up almost 100%. Look at how lumber prices skyrocketed, but are almost back down.

/ Feed Prices #8  
Soon after I got there gas prices went up 50 cents per gallon while it stayed the same in Tennessee. That is why the hell I wondered.

There are a lot of reasons that price can soar in one area of the country while not in others, and very few reasons to get snide with answers. Then, of course, I could have just wanted to hear others ***** about it so my misery had some company.
Try not to let some of the responses bother you. I see that you are fairly new here and welcome. For the most part this is a friendly website. Also keep in mind that when posting sometimes meaning and nuance is lost due to the medium.

/ Feed Prices #9  
I guess this is why most of the old school farmers with cattle also raised feed. (not to be confused with ranchers)

/ Feed Prices #10  

You probably should have opened with that then. I mean, unless you're living under a rock or tree, you have to be aware that we're facing near-runaway inflation. The only reason they don't call it "inflation" in the news is because they're trying to help the dottard-in-cheif keep his job. Everything has sky rocketed. Raw materials, lumber, steel, rubber, everything. Including feed, seed, fertilizer, etc. Even a glance at these things should tell you it's going to get much worse before it gets any better.

Your misery has lots of company.