Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?
OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Glad you mentioned something about running the insurance numbers. While I've always heard teenage boys and Corvettes = high insurance costs, I don't know anyone that's actually run the numbers.
Insurance would be under our name due to his age. He would pay the difference. At this point, it really doesn't sound that bad. Added, chances are he will enlist after high school (or graduate early and go to community college to see if he fancies something).

Honestly, I don't see him keeping the car "way to long".

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
A 17 year old determined enough to save the money deserves the car of his choice so give him as much leeway as you can afford.
Exactly why I'm allowing this.

As mentioned, he had his heart set on a Z4, but after the mechanic told him what it would cost to run "good", he said no, which I was proud of.

Woman's husband died (who owned the car for the last 5 years), I ran the vin, looks OK, and given the mileage, reality is anytime you buy anything used, it comes down to luck on how long you don't have problems.

Would I buy it? No. That said, I didn't have the will power to save like this kid has to actually buy something like that at that point in my life.

Either way, it could be a good learning experience for him.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #13  

polo1665

Tractor
Branson 3510H, John Deere X750
What are they asking for it? I would think it would be something fairly well south of $10,000.

Only real issue we ever had with ours was a leak in the weather stripping around the targa top. We had the weather stripping replaced and they broke the glass in the targa top during the process. Another thing is to research the process of changing the battery. If I remember correctly you have to remove a body panel in front of the driver door to get it out.

Last edited:
   / Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #14  

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
Opti spark removal:

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #18  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Exactly why I'm allowing this.

As mentioned, he had his heart set on a Z4, but after the mechanic told him what it would cost to run "good", he said no, which I was proud of.

Woman's husband died (who owned the car for the last 5 years), I ran the vin, looks OK, and given the mileage, reality is anytime you buy anything used, it comes down to luck on how long you don't have problems.

Would I buy it? No. That said, I didn't have the will power to save like this kid has to actually buy something like that at that point in my life.

Either way, it could be a good learning experience for him.
Who was it that said "Good choices are the result of experience gained through bad choices"?

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #19  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012) pending
here in BC, a 17 yr old guy buying a Corvette ... might as well be neutered, as insurance would be outrageous.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Who was it that said "Good choices are the result of experience gained through bad choices"?
Agreed. That said, if the car falls apart, he has a safety net with a spare car.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car, but for myself, not very practical, added his Grandfathers car will stay in the garage, not his LOL