Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?
here in BC, a 17 yr old guy buying a Corvette ... might as well be neutered, as insurance would be outrageous.
Because he's on our policy, it's actually not that bad. After he graduates high school, I suspect he would sell it. His grandfather has a "cool car" he can drive (under our policy as well), but in the end, I think he wants something that he can say is "his" as he bought it with his own money. I can respect that for his age (although the older side of me says to just keep saving).

In some aspects, if the car became a money pit, it would be a worthwhile learning experience IMO that he hasn't been through before.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #22  
here in BC, a 17 yr old guy buying a Corvette ... might as well be neutered, as insurance would be outrageous.
When I was 17 I might have agreed to a 50% neuter in exchange for a Vette. Now at 79 I might swap both for a new Prevost. 🥴

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #23  
Cool car ! I would look for a Mustang GT and a Saturn SL1 for a daily driver . Best of both worlds 👍 The Mustang should be cheaper and if I was a 17 year old with a hot car I would need a back seat . The Saturn will get up to 41 mpg with a stick .

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #24  
Cool car ! I would look for a Mustang GT and a Saturn SL1 for a daily driver . Best of both worlds 👍 The Mustang should be cheaper and if I was a 17 year old with a hot car I would need a back seat . The Saturn will get up to 41 mpg with a stick .
Never give a teenager a car with a back seat. Not the sex reason, either. The more seats, the more friends. The more friends, the more distractions. I had a VW van. Man I could fit a lot of distractions in there. ;)

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #25  
Because he's on our policy, it's actually not that bad. After he graduates high school, I suspect he would sell it. His grandfather has a "cool car" he can drive (under our policy as well), but in the end, I think he wants something that he can say is "his" as he bought it with his own money. I can respect that for his age (although the older side of me says to just keep saving).

In some aspects, if the car became a money pit, it would be a worthwhile learning experience IMO that he hasn't been through before.
way better than how ICBC does insurance over here ... a total gouging for $.
all the best - I commend you - letting him go through this process offers lessons and experience for sure, plus it's a cool car :)

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #26  
Never give a teenager a car with a back seat. Not the sex reason, either. The more seats, the more friends. The more friends, the more distractions. I had a VW van. Man I could fit a lot of distractions in there. ;)

I agree, you cannot haul too many extra people in a two seater.

I had a 95 Camaro for a few years, while I never had an issue with the optispark it had plenty of other problems. Window motors, starter, fuel pump, tumbler not recognizing the key resistor. I spent 6 months dealing with intermittent starting problems, turned out to be the clutch safety switch only sometimes working. After a few years of what seemed to be constantly fixing something or getting towed (maybe get him AAA for Christmas) I got rid of it.

way better than how ICBC does insurance over here ... a total gouging for $.
all the best - I commend you - letting him go through this process offers lessons and experience for sure, plus it's a cool car :)
Let's just say I was 90% on board after we stopped by to see the car. Local sale, reasoning for sale seemed legit and the woman selling the car seemed genuine.

Reality set in my mind last night and after reading up on the omnispark issue between 92-94, added I didn't hear about the "service due soon" light being on and the reasoning by the seller kind of left me scratching my head about "old gas". The mechanic who checked out the car told me they don't remember the car, and their comment was in the service notes were "checked over, little seepage on the drivers valve cover, everything else looks great" really seems like a quick simple look over being that they only charged $11.

Need to find a good local "vette" mechanic to call today. I may see if the woman will drive the car to a mechanic of my choice (reason why I like local sales).

Point being, talking with my son last night when he came home, I conveyed to him that I wasn't as positive about the sale after the "thrill" of looking at the car wore off after he took it for a test drive. What's he going to do about driving in bad weather? He actually feels comfortable driving that car to school when school starts in a couple of months? Where is he going to "store it" other than the driveway with the hot NC sun beating down on it? End of the day, it's not a very practical car, however, I told him even after not being so positive at the end of the day, it's his money, and told him worse case scenario he buys the car, it becomes a money pit, he gets stuck driving the "family" 4 door 2001 accord and all his hard earn money gets wasted (my wife was laughing when I told him we'd then rent him the 01 Honda if the vette had issues and couldn't drive LOL as I was being a little facetious). Basically just explained that if I didn't point out all the potential negatives to be aware of, I wouldn't be doing him justice allowing to make this kind of decision.

I'm curious to which direction he's going to go.

Last edited:
(maybe get him AAA for Christmas)
My dad got me AAA after I left the house as a Christmas present. Honestly, that card has saved me a lot of hassle over my travels with moving around over the decades (getting towed at 0200 in Maryland while moving to WV will always stick in my mind). Both boys got the same card when they started driving couple of years ago(y)

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #29  
First car was a 65 Belair. Packed 9 people in it on a regular basis It was quite cozy