Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Not my first choice for my first car, but my one 17 year old has saved more than enough money working the last 2 years now, and we're going to look at it later today. Apparently 2 owners, 104k on it. I'll run the vin number when we get back and will request a trip to my mechanic (local car). Being it's a V8, wife will run insurance numbers, and that alone may nix the deal on his part (he's actually pretty smart with his money as he turned down a Z4 convertible due to the immediate repair costs that would be needed).

Just curious if anyone has experience with one. So far, generally you can never find negative reviews on most cars I look at online LOL.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #2  
I'd be doing my research on any of many Corvette specific forums out there.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #3  
Glad you mentioned something about running the insurance numbers. While I've always heard teenage boys and Corvettes = high insurance costs, I don't know anyone that's actually run the numbers.

I do know that if you were in your late teens in the early 80's and ran your mid 60's Corvette into someone else's mid 60's Mooney aircraft, then ask your insurance agent what you should do, the first words out of his/her mouth will be "Well, the first thing you're going to do is sell that Corvette, because you're never going to be able to afford insurance again."

(I watched a friend of mine do just that on a Friday the 13th. One of my better strange but true stories if I do say so myself 😛)

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #4  

We've owned a 1985, a 2007, and we now own a 2017 Grandsport. I'd advise that you go to the site linked above, visit the C4 section to ask any car related questions. As to insurance, it depends. Ours 2017 is actually our cheapest vehicle to insure at our age (I'm 57), but not sure how insurance companies would react to a 17 year old driver (probably not cheap). We also have an arrangement with our insurance provider that we only pay for storage during the winter months (Ohio). We call to put full insurance on when we are ready to start driving it on weekends in the summer. I'm sure that wouldn't apply to your son, as he is probably going to use it as a daily driver.

I will say this: Probably not a very practical car for a 17 year old, especially with gas prices they way they are. He'll be filling up with premium.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #5  
A 17 year old determined enough to save the money deserves the car of his choice so give him as much leeway as you can afford. A good insurance agent helped immensely from the time our son began driving until he turned 21. His primary vehicle was our spare 72 Ford sedan and listed as occasional driver of "mom's" 69 Camero.
Small block chevy is hands down my favorite engine. I've owned several starting with 1956 265 ci and did 90% of wrenching. I'm not so sure it would be practical to hire it done but I've de-tuned a few for low end torque and reaped increased fuel milage as a bonus. Following a build in Super Chevy Magazine,a friend's 76 Vette got 30+ mpg and put a smile on his face each time he stepped on the throttle at low rpm. Almost every popular performance mod (single plane intake,square bore double pump carb,high lift cam w/overlap) decreases low rpm torque and kill's fuel milage.
I drew inspiration on raising boys from the movie Where The Red Fern Grows long before I had kids. If it's in the cards I hope the boy see's his dream come true.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #7  
I will say one thing negative about the C4 is that our 1985 rode like a buckboard. Not sure if the suspension changed by the time 1992 rolled around.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #8  
Opti spark. Research it then walk a way.

I owned a '96 LT4 for about 8 years. Daily driver, autocross, open track and long cross country trips.

I would never buy one again because of the Opti spark.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe? #9  
If I had a choice between a Corvette and an old Toyota Corolla that just needed a clutch, I know what I'd choose. I know what I chose. I did have an LS1 Camaro around here with a 6 speed I think. But I didn't like it because it only held 10 gallons and I was stopping by all the gas stations. It wasn't mine, belonged to a dealer that I worked on things for. Plus, he wanted me to drive everything 350 miles before he sold it.

/ Feedback on a 92 Corvette Hatch back coupe?
Opti spark. Research it then walk a way.

I owned a '96 LT4 for about 8 years. Daily driver, autocross, open track and long cross country trips.

I would never buy one again because of the Opti spark.
Could you elaborate? I looked online, information is very limited.