Loader FEL capacity with a boom

/ FEL capacity with a boom #1  

whiskywizard

Gold Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20S HST
FEL capacity with a boom

I plan to build a boom this week for a Kioti CK20S HST. I need some estimates from your personal field experience please. What do you think the lift capacity will be, lifting from the outer end?

Relevant specs:
  • The base of the boom will slide into a standard 2" hitch receiver welded to the top of the bucket.
  • Boom will be fab'd from 2"x2"x 1/4" wall square tube mild steel
  • It will measure 7' from the top forward edge of the bucket to the boom's tip.
  • I will stretch a piece of rebar over the top of the boom, in tension, to counter the longitudinal flex
  • I'll weld a chain hook to the boom's outer tip
  • the boom will be supported by 2 struts, in compression, back down to the bottom, outside corners of the bucket.
  • I plan to model it after some of the booms I've seen here. Attached below is a simple sketch. NTS

Again, I'm looking for your best estimate on how much weight I can lift with this.

Attachments

• boompole.jpg
    boompole.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 448
   / FEL capacity with a boom #2  
Hmmm, are we starting a pool? Then I put $5 on 400 lbs.....this is a WAG...no calculations done at all:laughing:

/ FEL capacity with a boom #3  
FEL capacity with a boom

I plan to build a boom this week for a Kioti CK20S HST. I need some estimates from your personal field experience please. What do you think the lift capacity will be, lifting from the outer end?

Relevant specs:
  • The base of the boom will slide into a standard 2" hitch receiver welded to the top of the bucket.
  • Boom will be fab'd from 2"x2"x 1/4" wall square tube mild steel
  • It will measure 7' from the top forward edge of the bucket to the boom's tip.
  • I will stretch a piece of rebar over the top of the boom, in tension, to counter the longitudinal flex
  • I'll weld a chain hook to the boom's outer tip
  • the boom will be supported by 2 struts, in compression, back down to the bottom, outside corners of the bucket.
  • I plan to model it after some of the booms I've seen here. Attached below is a simple sketch. NTS

Again, I'm looking for your best estimate on how much weight I can lift with this.

Best guess, without taking measurments, is about 500lbs.

Your tractor is rated @ 1074lbs @ the pins. Again, just guessing, but the pins are about 3' forward of where the lift cylinder attaches. and the boom is going to be about 7' beyond the pin. So that woud be roughly 3/7th of the lift capacity. 3/7 x 1074 is about 460.

If you actually take some real measurments, we can get a better idea.

And also, a bucket typically has more curl force @ the bucket. But due to the geometry, the farther out the boom you go, the curl power drops off at a quicker rate than the lift capacity. So you may be at the point where you can lift a load, but not curl it.

When we set the trusses for my polebarn (about 150lbs) we used a makeshift 20' boom attached to my tractor. I had no trouble lifting the truss, but the tractor would not curl them.

/ FEL capacity with a boom
Thanks guys. I appreciate that.

I need to help my SIL lift the engine and tranny out of a 2003 Dakota (V6). If I can get a full 500lb capacity, I should be OK.

I'll measure the overall length vs pin location & boom lengths tonight. I may need to shorten the pole to 5 or 6 ft.

I know I could build a shorter one too, just for this job, but was hoping to build just one, with this job being the one that limited the design.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #5  
whiskywizard, I built a setup almost identical to what's in your drawing, I have it setup on a DK35, my stepson wanted to pull an engine out of a 80 something Cadillac, we pulled engine and tranny as you described.

It was a big v8, he estimated at 550lbs, I have loaded rear tires and when pulling the first time I felt the rear getting light, I then hooked up rotary cutter and it handled it just fine.

Go slow and steady and feel your machine, good luck and be safe!!!

Also you could weld a hook under boom closer to pins, then you would have the best of both worlds.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #6  
If you put another hook midway on your boom you have another lifting point and then you can run a chain between the two hooks and lift from anywhere you want.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #7  
I think 500 lbs. is very optomistic for 9' plus from the pins.

/ FEL capacity with a boom
Damifino said:
whiskywizard, I built a setup almost identical to what's in your drawing, I have it setup on a DK35, my stepson wanted to pull an engine out of a 80 something Cadillac, we pulled engine and tranny as you described.

It was a big v8, he estimated at 550lbs, I have loaded rear tires and when pulling the first time I felt the rear getting light, I then hooked up rotary cutter and it handled it just fine.

Go slow and steady and feel your machine, good luck and be safe!!!

Also you could weld a hook under boom closer to pins, then you would have the best of both worlds.

tungularafishcamp said:
If you put another hook midway on your boom you have another lifting point and then you can run a chain between the two hooks and lift from anywhere you want.

Yes, I should add another hook, mid-way out. I was thinking about sliding the boom back through the hitch receiver but that would preclude the top strap. Can't do that.

Tungulara, I hadn't thought of using the chain between hooks. Good idea.

Damifino, I don't know the exact specs, but I do know you can lift much more with the DK35 than I can!

/ FEL capacity with a boom #10  
This boom pole is for example.

Tractor 3 Point Boom Pole, Boom Lift Category II, BL-HD-8-II, 2,200lbs. Capacity Rating

This is 3 in square, and at the bottom loop hook up point, the boom pole should lift 2200 lbs, and at the very end, should be able to lift about 1600 lbs.

This 8.8 ft red round boom pole can lift about 1500 lbs at the mid bottom loop, and about 1000 lbs at the end.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to... 1 Implements&cm_cat=Google&cm_ven=Aggregates

This would also depend on the weight of the tractor.

You can test a boom pole with a pallet and 55 gal drums of water. Since water weighs at about 8 lb per gal, each 55 drum of water would be about 440 lbs plus drum of 20 lbs. =460 lbs . If it can pick up 2 drums filled with water, then it can lift 920, if 3 drums, 1380 lbs