FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #51  
The SSQA is more common on the smaller tractors and most attachments can be had in that configuration.
However in my opinion and having and using both the Euro Global is a better safer easier to use system.

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations
The SSQA is more common on the smaller tractors and most attachments can be had in that configuration.
However in my opinion and having and using both the Euro Global is a better safer easier to use system.
Are you suggesting that I get an SSQA or Global adapter for use instead of my JDQA? If so, for what purpose?

** this is getting of topic but I'm curious

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #53  
In popularity and common usage in cut's,
it would be SSQA, JDQA then Euro Global.
In the full sized market 100+hp it is mostly all global.

The Global is much easier to hookup to,
most of them you curl back and unlatch then go to were you wish to drop the current attachment,
set it down and curl out of it. (safety wise even if you unlatch even when curled most or all the way down it will not fall off)
pull up to your next attachment and curl up into it to catch it lift it up then curl back and most will self latch.
The hooks on the Global are much easier to watch and line up and catch your attachment.
The Global doesn't get crudded up with mud or snow and ice as easily as the SSQA, even after being used in an ice strom the Global will unlatch and relatch with no pounding or scrapping.
The Global attachments don't fill with snow and ice as much when out in the weather.
The Global are more durable especially when back dragging.

As far as the JDQA many manufactures do not offer that style attachment in their lineup as JD is the only one using it.
The JDQA is a light duty QA similar to the global in some ways, shorter hooks and two pins to clip in place.

I have not used the JDQA, just looked at it and played around with it a bit.
My Branson has the SSQA as does the farms Kubota and the Skidsteer.
The NH6050 and CIH PUMA 125 have the Global as have some rented equipment.
Of the three systems and having used two for several years and having converted my old Oliver 1550 to a Global style,
I find the Global easier stronger faster safer and all around better.

In popularity and common usage in cut's,
it would be SSQA, JDQA then Euro Global.
In the full sized market 100+hp it is mostly all global.

The Global is much easier to hookup to,
most of them you curl back and unlatch then go to were you wish to drop the current attachment,
set it down and curl out of it. (safety wise even if you unlatch even when curled most or all the way down it will not fall off)
pull up to your next attachment and curl up into it to catch it lift it up then curl back and most will self latch.
The hooks on the Global are much easier to watch and line up and catch your attachment.
The Global doesn't get crudded up with mud or snow and ice as easily as the SSQA, even after being used in an ice strom the Global will unlatch and relatch with no pounding or scrapping.
The Global attachments don't fill with snow and ice as much when out in the weather.
The Global are more durable especially when back dragging.

As far as the JDQA many manufactures do not offer that style attachment in their lineup as JD is the only one using it.
The JDQA is a light duty QA similar to the global in some ways, shorter hooks and two pins to clip in place.

I have not used the JDQA, just looked at it and played around with it a bit.
My Branson has the SSQA as does the farms Kubota and the Skidsteer.
The NH6050 and CIH PUMA 125 have the Global as have some rented equipment.
Of the three systems and having used two for several years and having converted my old Oliver 1550 to a Global style,
I find the Global easier stronger faster safer and all around better.
Thank you. I have a John Deere 4120 with 400x loader and it is equipped with the JDQA. I'm entertaining getting the SSQA adapter if it opens up more opportunities for front attachments, otherwise I'll just stay with the JDQA.

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #55  
JWR . . . I'm guessing you suggest this because there are more front attachments available from a wider variety of manufacturers? If not, why?

Also, my response above will hopefully answer some of your other questions. Thank you for your advice.
That's true. There are so many and such a wide variety of tools that fit the skid-steer compatible mounts. Both the JDQA and the Global type fit less than 10% of the available goodies on the market compared to the SSQA. Knowing now that you are in this for a long term effort that's even more reason to go with the skid-steer compatible interface. Being in it for the long haul there is just no good reason to limit your tool options to some small % of the available stuff.

Yes, I see those pictures. None of these tractor mounted devices will really clear those woods. I visuallize endless chain saw days there ! Certainly the Lane Shark will be a great tool for the overhanging limbs and general trimming. It may be that over time you will need to hire a dozer to do the heaviest stuff, just a day or two here and there, things you can't clear with the tractor or your own means.

A big mulcher with the PTO driven pump feeding it seems appropriate too but those things, the serious ones, are expensive. I suggest a gradual approach with the Lane Shark , a good bush hog and a grapple for your FEL to start. Then add as needed after building on your experience with those basics.

That's true. There are so many and such a wide variety of tools that fit the skid-steer compatible mounts. Both the JDQA and the Global type fit less than 10% of the available goodies on the market compared to the SSQA. Knowing now that you are in this for a long term effort that's even more reason to go with the skid-steer compatible interface. Being in it for the long haul there is just no good reason to limit your tool options to some small % of the available stuff.

Yes, I see those pictures. None of these tractor mounted devices will really clear those woods. I visuallize endless chain saw days there ! Certainly the Lane Shark will be a great tool for the overhanging limbs and general trimming. It may be that over time you will need to hire a dozer to do the heaviest stuff, just a day or two here and there, things you can't clear with the tractor or your own means.

A big mulcher with the PTO driven pump feeding it seems appropriate too but those things, the serious ones, are expensive. I suggest a gradual approach with the Lane Shark , a good bush hog and a grapple for your FEL to start. Then add as needed after building on your experience with those basics.
Thanks JWR. After even further consideration, I think I have convinced myself (and my banker...aka: wife) that the limited versatility and potential abuse to my tractor warrants not going the route of a FEL mounted device but instead searching for a tracked skid steer and rotary cutter. Yes, much more expensive option but I'm hopeful I can get the job done lickity-split and then sell the skid steer.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #57  
Very logical of many choices. If you go with a tracked skid steer and rotary cutter you have a lot heavier duty set of equipment. Going to that expense I recommend that you get a HEAVY rotary cutter and make sure the skid steer hydraulic accessory pump is high-flow. They usually have multiple pumps. Those things will do major damage to underbrush and even 4" trees. I used to own a CID brand 5ft "Extreme" Brush cutter that was a real beast. See X-treme Brush Cutter
I got it in 2011 for about $3500 but I'm sure they have gone up. Only reason I did not keep it was that my tractor (81hp MF 2660) could not produce enough hydraulic flow to make it robust. It clogged way too easy. Those are made well. Parker motors, 3 heavy blades on a 5/8" thick carrier, etc. With a skid steer and high flow you will be able to cut & clear big time. I think you should get a grapple for the FEL on your Deere which will be a huge help in clearing out trees, pieces of trees, debris etc. That will be very useful for the whole life of the Deere whether you still have the skid steer or not. I'll be very surprised if you do not also get a 5 or 6 ft bush hog for general purpose cutting of weeds, lighter brush, etc. with the Deere, especially if you have some open field areas.

I got a 66" Wildkat (same as Mid-state) brand grapple new 2 yrs ago for $1500 incl. tax. I find it plenty heavy, almost indestructible and so handy I keep it on my MF most of the time. For my 2 cents worth I would still get a skid-steer adapter for your Deere FEL -- even more so now that you will have a skid steer. That way you can trade implements back and forth between machines as needed plus have the huge wide choice of things that fit it. That includes buckets, grapples, you name it. Be sure to get compatible flat-face connectors for all the hydraulic lines !

I have no feel at all for implement availability, dealers, parts, support, etc. out there in Oregon. I am very familiar with mid-East coast, but not out there.

By the way, unless there is specific prohibition language in your Deere warrantee they cannot/would not deny your warrantee coverage due to something like a Lane Shark on your FEL. They can't legitimately. It is well within the load capacity specs of your FEL. If you can afford the skid steer route you will be better equipped to handle much tougher clearing tasks but I don't think the warrantee should have been a concern at all.

Best of luck with all this and please give us nosey people an update every once in a while as you wade through the next several months.

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #58  
I think you would be very surprised with what you can do with a good grapple. My 6' Rhino rotary cutter and EA 60" wicked root rake style grapple make a fantastic clearing combination. I use the grapple to take down trees up to about 6". Here's what I usually do, with the grapple open, and raised up in the air, I push the tree over. Then use the grapple to get under the root ball and pull it all up, sometimes this takes a combination of lifting, rolling, and bumping back and forth to break it free, but it works fantastic. Then move the tree to a pile and burn. I generally use the grapple for everything bigger than 1.5" or so, and the brush hog for everything smaller.

/ FEL Mounted Brush Cutter Recommendations #59  
My 7' Bush Hog and FEL mounted grapple make a similar good clearing combination to what you describe. That's on a 9000lb (as equipped) MF2660 81HP 4WD tractor. Approx. twice the weight and twice the HP of the XR4140. Glad to see your combo works well for you but I am, to be honest, a skeptic on you doing anything with 6" trees with a grapple unless their roots are very shallow and in soft soil. I'd be surprised, you are right about that.

I think you would be very surprised with what you can do with a good grapple. My 6' Rhino rotary cutter and EA 60" wicked root rake style grapple make a fantastic clearing combination. I use the grapple to take down trees up to about 6". Here's what I usually do, with the grapple open, and raised up in the air, I push the tree over. Then use the grapple to get under the root ball and pull it all up, sometimes this takes a combination of lifting, rolling, and bumping back and forth to break it free, but it works fantastic. Then move the tree to a pile and burn. I generally use the grapple for everything bigger than 1.5" or so, and the brush hog for everything smaller.
I have a wicked grapple and do exactly as you describe although it only works well with pine/fir trees that have shallow root systems. It doesn't work well with madrone and oak...they simply bend over and do not expose their roots. I am working on getting a skid steer with a root grapple and a rotary brush cutter and then probably selling my green machine (JD4120).

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR