Snow FEL ops against 2009 snow

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #11  
The equipment that works depends on the type of snow and whether or not the under surface has gotten iced up from packed snow or rain. For instance if the snow is powder any tractor could push two feet deep or maybe even "chest height" (hmmmm) without any chains or much weight. If it's wet and greasy and two feet deep or ice under it then you will probably need chains and loaded tires with a small tractor or at least a backhoe and chains on there. I'd be surprised if it didn't spin the tires on ice pushing heavy wet snow.

The problem with a just a loader bucket when doing a long drive and deep snow I have found is that it is very slow. You can get it done but you have to keep going to the side and emptying the bucket. You can push after it fills up but it comes out the sides and makes a mess, and you get a big mound in front of you. You need at least a back blade you can angle and shoot it to the side if you have any significant amount to do. You can go forward with the back blade if the snow is not super deep and you have chains and loaded tires. Or you can push backwards, I do both. Does a good job and pretty fast. The loader bucket is great for piling it up, cleaning up or moving a plowed up bank out of the way if you run out of room during a heavy snowfall winter.

Last edited:
   / FEL ops against 2009 snow
...The problem with a just a loader bucket when doing a long drive and deep snow I have found is that it is very slow. You can get it done but you have to keep going to the side and emptying the bucket. ....

Make a wood wedge insert to fit inside your bucket. Pretty simple and pushes to the side. :)

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #13  
I have a gravel driveway and use the FEL for snow clearing. I set the loader in the "float" position and just angle the leading edge up a bit. The heal of the bucket glides over a thin layer of snow. This does an effective job of cleaning up the driveway, without pushing all my gravel off to the side. Yes, I still have to constantly dump the snow off to the side, but no gravel on the lawn in the Spring.

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #14  
I use a combination of the rear blade and FEL. Only problem with the FEL is wear on the cutting edge. The rear blade has a reversible/replaceable cutting edge. The edge on my FEL bucket is welded on. I suppose I could simply weld on another edge, or better yet, drill and tap some holes in the existing one and add a bolt-on replaceable unit. The wood wedge is a great idea. A variation on that theme might be to rip a slot into a piece of wood and slip it over the metal edge to act as a "disposable" wear surface for snow removal operations.

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #16  
Thavil,

I don't think you need it. You could just scare the snow off your driveway with that ratchet rake! It looks mean.

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #17  
I use a combination of the rear blade and FEL. Only problem with the FEL is wear on the cutting edge. The rear blade has a reversible/replaceable cutting edge. The edge on my FEL bucket is welded on. I suppose I could simply weld on another edge, or better yet, drill and tap some holes in the existing one and add a bolt-on replaceable unit. The wood wedge is a great idea. A variation on that theme might be to rip a slot into a piece of wood and slip it over the metal edge to act as a "disposable" wear surface for snow removal operations.

My drive is a 1/2 mile long. wooden edge wouldn't make even 1/2 of a pass..........

I am going to get some throwaway plow edges from the town barn and bolt them up to my buckets.

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #18  
Thavil,

I don't think you need it. You could just scare the snow off your driveway with that ratchet rake! It looks mean.

AceDeuce - I actually thought about hooking the ratchet rake up to see what it would do but thought better of it because of my recycled asphalt driveway. Also, I'm a total rookie at snow clearing anyway. I might still get it out to see what I can do with it on the ice that has formed on the bottom layer.

/ FEL ops against 2009 snow #19  
Maybe this could help... Available really soon. No pricing yet.

Details: Works with any FEL. Blade is 60 inches wide, approximately 20 inches high. Blade is 11 gage steel (same as the FEL bucket) Goes on the bucket in about 30 seconds with no tools. Angles 0, 15 and 30 degrees each side. Can be easily offset approx 12 inches to either side to move the pile farther off the road. Blade floats independently or the bucket can apply down pressure for icy conditions. Trip springs. Replaceable edge. Skid shoes optional. Works with our Bucket Xpander installed. Will probably offer a 66 and/or 72 inch version also. Will ship UPS.

We will offer different replaceable edges: Mild steel for light use or unpaved surfaces, Hi Abrasion Resistance Steel for pavement and concrete, and UHMWPE plastic for nice surfaces such as finished concrete, smooth asphalt, brick or pavers. We'll probably offer a round edge for gravel surfaces. We will likely offer to paint to match the tractor brand.

Just email contact@bxpanded.com and let us know what features would work well for you.

BXpanded.com
A TBN Sponsor

Attachments

• Snowplow 1.jpg
    Snowplow 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 323
  • snowplow 3.jpg
    snowplow 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 337
  • snowplow 4.jpg
    snowplow 4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Snowplow 5.jpg
    Snowplow 5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 373
   / FEL ops against 2009 snow #20  
Maybe this could help... Available really soon. No pricing yet.

Details: Works with any FEL. Blade is 60 inches wide, approximately 20 inches high. Blade is 11 gage steel (same as the FEL bucket) Goes on the bucket in about 30 seconds with no tools. Angles 0, 15 and 30 degrees each side. Can be easily offset approx 12 inches to either side to move the pile farther off the road. Blade floats independently or the bucket can apply down pressure for icy conditions. Trip springs. Replaceable edge. Skid shoes optional. Works with our Bucket Xpander installed. Will probably offer a 66 and/or 72 inch version also. Will ship UPS.

We will offer different replaceable edges: Mild steel for light use or unpaved surfaces, Hi Abrasion Resistance Steel for pavement and concrete, and UHMWPE plastic for nice surfaces such as finished concrete, smooth asphalt, brick or pavers. We'll probably offer a round edge for gravel surfaces. We will likely offer to paint to match the tractor brand.

Just email contact@bxpanded.com and let us know what features would work well for you.

BXpanded.com
A TBN Sponsor

Darnit Harry, you did it again!!:) You made something I'm going to have to buy. Looks great and hope you do well with selling the blade. Tod