FEL or not (for now)

/ FEL or not (for now) #11  
Moon, after you've done it once or twice, the FEL can be removed or put back on in less than 3 minutes by one person with no physical exertion at all. You really do need a reasonably level hard surface though. A sheet of plywood can serve the purpose. There's no reason not to mow with the FEL on the tractor if you have plenty of room. I always remove mine just for reasons of visibility, the additional clearance around and between trees, and comfort (if you are running fast over rough ground, the front end loader will tend to make the front end bounce more). And I agree with the other guys; get the FEL. As for the mower decks, I use a 3-point mower myself; quicker and easier to hook up or unhook, not brand specific to the tractor, and costs less, but of course, for many people there are reasons to prefer the mid-mount mowers, too.

/ FEL or not (for now) #12  
Get the FEL !!!! I have a brush hog, backhoe, rear blade, and numerous other attachments. The one I could not live without is the FEL. You will always find new things to use it for, and will not regret getting it......

/ FEL or not (for now)
Good point Jeff, about possible scalping with a wider mower deck. I have a couple areas that might be a problem with the 72" deck. I also think its probably a little easier judgeing tight spaces if your mower deck is approx. the same width as your tractor wheels. An assumption on my part, since i've never had an oversized mower deck.
Good to hear the FEL is easily removed when needbe. I do have some very bumpy streches of open field that already bounce me pretty good, an i can normally go over it rather quickly since the grass there is thin.
Bird, I had considered a rear mower, but I prefer to have my blade or box scraper back there pretty much all the time. I also like the idea of leaving the mmm on the tractor when doing blade work or doing light brush hogging. So i think a 60" mmm would be more easily left on while doing other tasks.
Thanks everyone for all the input!
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #14  
Moon,

For the sake of a different perspective, I am going to buck the trend. I too was in a similar situation as you. Only on a smaller scale. Cash flow is a problem. I could of gotten the BX with FEL or purchase the B7500 which is what I really want and wait for the FEL. I chose the latter. Everyone’s circumstances are different but these are the reasons I chose to wait.

The primary use of the tractor was to mow 3.5 acres, grade my driveway and rake a rather large beach. These MUST be done. I am able to comfortably do this with my 60" finish mower, box blade and landscape rake. The FEL is a WANT. Granted it is a highly weighted WANT but nonetheless it is a WANT. I will use a dirt scoop until I can afford and FEL.

The most important thing is that I got the tractor of my dreams. Like I told the dealer. After I purchase the unit I can’t add more horsepower, I can’t add more 3 point lift capacity, I can’t add more ground clearance…but I could add and FEL.

There is a significant amount of well intended pressure from the great folks on this board to get the FEL. But if you don’t have the money, you don’t have the money. I am extremely satisfied with my decision and can’t wait till the day that I can purchase the FEL.

My opinon!

/ FEL or not (for now) #15  
<font color=blue>...There is a significant amount of well intended pressure from the great folks on this board to get the FEL. But if you don’t have the money, you don’t have the money.... and can’t wait till the day that I can purchase the FEL...</font color=blue>

Mike...

Very, very well said... I agree... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ FEL or not (for now)
Thanks for the other perspective Mike. You pretty much stated what I was thinking when considering waiting to buy the FEL. Get enough tractor to do the jobs needed and add the accesseries as you can. I'm in a situation where i have x amount to put down on a new (or used) tractor, and x amount that i want to budget for a monthly payment. Hopefully i can work it out and get a FEL with the tractor now; but if not I won't hesitate to get the right size tractor for the jobs i have planned and add the FEL as soon as possible down the road. I really don't feel pressured either way. But I do want to thank everyone for reenforcing my guess that the 2910 or a 29-30 hp tractor is about the right size for the work i have to do.
Thanks again all;
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #17  
Re: FEL or not (for now)-or Will it ever get done?

Grey...

On a cash deal... you normally would hold off the purchase of the "unneeded"/loader/options/etc. ... but...

Most people have the best intentions, but down the road after a year or two or three of ownership... they still don't have the "cash" to buy the loader... and thus... it's never purchased and remains a dream of ..."What I should've done..."

I'd highly recommend if you are "financing"... on day one - get the loader in a "package deal" and in most cases for "only a few dollars" more a month on your tractor loan... you can make it "doable"...

Even if you have to extend the loan for another year or so...{to keep your monthly payments within your budget}- don't worry about the extra 1/2 or 2% more they may end up charging for the interest rate... that small amount is spit if you look at the overall picture 10-20 years down the road...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ FEL or not (for now)

Thanks John;
Your points are well taken, and exactly what i am trying to do. It just seems like the smart thing to do if at all possible to get the FEL with the tractor. Talking to the wife and she's agreed that this might be a good reason to get into a savings account which we had not planned to use for the tractor; at the begining of this venture. But getting the whole package at once an all the back breaking work the FEL would save even has her agreeing with the wise suggestions from yall on TBN.
Thanks again everyone.
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #19  

Moon,Another thing to look at would be to get the B2710 with FEL and 72" MMM. This would be a saving of about $1200 over the B2910. Yes you give up 3 hp and a few other things, but you might not miss any of them at all. They are the same size tractor and will do the same task just as well. I have the 72" MMM and it is no problem to remove and install. I can do it as fast as removing and putting on the loader, I have heard that the 72" is easier to install + remove than the 60". As for the scalping there are anti-scalping rollers on the bottom of the deck so there are no problems with it. I was just about to buy from Carver when I got my tractor last april used for alot less than new. Got the tractor with FEL 60" bucket, MMM and 5ft. snow blower with only 126 hrs. for $13500. So there are good deals out there if you wait long enough!

/ FEL or not (for now) #20  

I absolutely agree with John. My first used Kubota came with an FEL. Even though I didn't see myself as needing one, it quickly became the most useful part of the tractor. Now I can't even imagine owning a tractor without one! And if it came down to the tractor of my dreams without a loader, or a smaller tractor with one...I'd wait till I could afford the dream machine.

Pete