FEL whacking things when backing up.

/ FEL whacking things when backing up. #1  

Lakebuster

Tractor
Kubota L5040, B-2601
Have owned my L5040 since 2010

I was spreading sand were I had made ruts cutting grass with the ZTR331 and DW’s B2601. I was doing great until until I got next to the fencing and went to back up and when I turned I forgot to raise FEL and bucket hit fence post and yanked rails out of white vinyl fencing. I was able to push on fence and pop rails back in place and drive in wedges at base to straighten fence post with the help of my Son.
The week before I was dragging 7’ harrow to smooth out horse pasture knocking down any manure piles. When I got close to fencing I raised bucket to clear 5’ tall fencing everything was going smooth as I was turning I looked back to ensure harrow was not close to hitting fence when I hear a crunching sound. Son of a gun my bucket cleared the fence but hit the corner of tin roof off my lean too on barn.
I had air pods in my ears on both of these incidents, just got them for Christmas.
I am thinking with these noise cancellation air pods as it immerses you in Sound, made me not pay attention to my surroundings!

Have others whacked something with FEL when backing up?

/ FEL whacking things when backing up. #5  
I may or may not have put a solid 3" inspection slot on the siding of a metal building before with the corner of the bucket. In my defense, I didn't have that much clearance on each side to work with as show in the picture.

If I'm doing 3 pt work, like tilling, mowing brush, etc. The loader comes off. It just takes less than 5 minutes and transforms the tractor entirely. A lot move maneuverable, so much nicer to use, plus I don't have to work about hitting stuff with the loader.

IMG_20220623_163351_2.jpg

/ FEL whacking things when backing up. #6  
I used to try things like that but I changed my ways, too many bad things happened. Now, when I am tilling or snow blowing, the last 6" gets done by hand. And when mowing the last 6" gets done with round-up.

/ FEL whacking things when backing up. #7  
Yeah, I took out my mailbox while plowing snow with the rear blade. Most times I would only install the FEL when I needed it for a job.

/ FEL whacking things when backing up. #9  
No I think your not looking at what your doing. You cant hear how close your bucket is to something.
I believe they can be a distraction, just like having a good song on the radio when driving. However, I think those who suggested taking it off were right. OTOH I almost wiped out one of my fruit trees last weekend. I had the disc harrow on and caught the deer fence in the tail swing, laying it over. When I turned to look the safety switch in my seat shut the engine off. Care to place bets on THAT ever happening again? That safety switch somehow stopped working 5 minutes later. :confused: I had disabled it the day I brought the tractor home, but after reading posters here I reconnected it last fall. Since then every time I turn in the seat, or even lean over to check one side of the tractor the engine dies.