Felt Paper Under Siding

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
Building an addition to the side of my garage and thought I would use felt paper instead of Tyvek. Just happen to have several rolls around. I was told that the felt paper will get hot enough to make the siding buckle????? If the sun isn't shining on it how is the tempature going to rise that much?? Anybody experience this,,

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #2  
As far as I know there is no reason not to use felt under your siding. As you said, it can't absorb any heat that didn't already come through the siding.

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #3  
Felt paper was used for about a hundred years before the tyvek came out. Unless the area is always heated, I think there's no advantage to tyvek. Absorbing more heat? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #4  
Tar or felt or roofing paper has been used in houses for a very long time. It works good, but not in the same league as house wrap. Tyvek is a popular type, but James Hardi has a version that is way better.

The main advantage to house wrap is in it's ability to keep the wind out and act as an air barrier. The secondary advantage is how easy it is to install. Tar paper is a pain to hang. Since you already have it, there's no reason not to use it, but house wrap is just a hundred bucks a roll at the box stores and the James Hardi is twice that amount if you can find it.

Eddie

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #5  
House wrap does not tear nearly as easily as tar paper.

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #6  
Temp, I'm going to jump in here on a mild hijack. So, can you tar paper the interior wall and Tyvek the outside wall? Or do you just let the backing on the rolled insulation take care of the inside?

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #7  
I have sided for years. They recommend that you do not put vinyl siding over felt paper. Do not put it over treated lumber. However, I do both on a regular basis. My next neighbor down the road has siding over felt. I did it many years ago and all is fine. His treated posts on the porches are wrapped in aluminum trim coil. No problems. The felt does absorb heat and retains it longer, it is a petroleum base product, maybe that is why they maybe think it will be a problem. I have projects with siding over felt that have been going almost twenty years now, so I don't see what the problem is with it. Maybe the siding companies like to sell house wrap. To me it is harder to handle a long roll of house wrap on a windy day, plus, I hate the sound of it. Felt is nice, quiet, and smooth.

Motorseven, if you are going to put paper backed insulation and felt, that is a no-no. Never put two vapor barriers together. The paper on the insulation has a tar on it for the fiberglass to stick to, and is considered a vapor barrier. If you are going to use felt or staple visqueen on the inside walls, insulate with paper-less insulation. Two vapor barriers together will accumulate moisture between them and grow mold, you don't want that. Hope this helps.

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #8  
What you may have heard was if you install the felt paper on your exterior wall and you do not cover it right away then if the sun shines on it, it will bubble and buckle. Depending on how thick the siding that you put over it you could have some "photographing" of the bubbling of the paper if the siding is thin. The best thing to do is only cover as much of your wall as you will be siding with paper. Don't paper the whole area and leave it exposed to the weather. If you are using Tyvek paper and it is exposed to sunlight for more than six months it voids the warranty.

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #9  
What kind of siding? I have seen it for ever under wood siding even with aluminum or vinyl over the wood. But there are probably better choices now for directly under vinyl, especially to gain some R value.

I'm sure you could use it though with out any problems.

JB

/ Felt Paper Under Siding #10  
Or, someone had tar paper on and installed the siding wrong. Vinyl siding has to have room for expansion and contraction. That means not nailing it tight and leaving enough room on the ends of runs. Remember, vinyl siding has been around longer than house wrap so there are a ton of homes out there with it on.