Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY).

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #11  
From daylight until 9 am we shot 276 hogs. Lot of them here.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #12  
I tried one of those small traps a long time ago and caught a few hogs. I would go months without getting one. It wasn't very effective. I was planning on building a bigger pen with a trap door, but never got around to it. When the shutdown happened over Covid, a buddy asked to hunt hogs on my place during the night. Hogs where pretty bad then, but only at night. My friend uses a thermal and set up 3 feeders. He put a game camera on each feeder and would go to sleep in his favorite hunting chair and wait for the game cameras to send him a message that there was something there. His best night, he shot 14 hogs. He had several nights where he got a dozen. On average, he would usually shoot 3 or 4. In 2020, he shot 114 hogs. The amount of hogs we saw on the cameras started to slow down. The number of deer increased dramatically!!! This year he has shot about half that many with nothing being seen on any game cameras in months. They are either gone, or know to avoid coming here. I'm not going to sit in a deer blind all night and wait for something to show up, but if you have a friend who is willing to do this, it really worked out great for me!!!!

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #13  
   / Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #14  
I tried one of those small traps a long time ago and caught a few hogs. I would go months without getting one. It wasn't very effective. I was planning on building a bigger pen with a trap door, but never got around to it. When the shutdown happened over Covid, a buddy asked to hunt hogs on my place during the night. Hogs where pretty bad then, but only at night. My friend uses a thermal and set up 3 feeders. He put a game camera on each feeder and would go to sleep in his favorite hunting chair and wait for the game cameras to send him a message that there was something there. His best night, he shot 14 hogs. He had several nights where he got a dozen. On average, he would usually shoot 3 or 4. In 2020, he shot 114 hogs. The amount of hogs we saw on the cameras started to slow down. The number of deer increased dramatically!!! This year he has shot about half that many with nothing being seen on any game cameras in months. They are either gone, or know to avoid coming here. I'm not going to sit in a deer blind all night and wait for something to show up, but if you have a friend who is willing to do this, it really worked out great for me!!!!

Ya real problem in our area of TX. We have trapped a bunch, killed a bunch. They really tear up the hay meadow. They started coming around the barn so we put some spotlights out at night...they stay away. Havent seen them back in a few months.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #15  
Just watched Homestead Rescue and they built one 15-20 feet in diameter. Are they good eating?

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #16  
Under 100 pounds and they are very good. Lean, full of flavor, and tender. Once they get bigger, I just cut the hams and backstraps out and use them for dog food. I bought a meat grinder for my wife's Christmas gift this year, so we're planning on grinding up more hog meat and spending less money at Walmart.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #17  
At first impression and "on paper" that Pig Brigg system look's great but it has a serious flaw. In the final 10 secounds of video where guy drove up to begin killing them,that is a bunch of tamed hogs. Feral hogs act like this when gate slam's or they see you coming and that netting would be torn up after the first catch. Notice the trap shy pigs in the vid I posted. Any that are in the vacinity when those gates slam will never go near the trap much less go inside. That trap is strong and work's well but could be improved with softer closing gates. The hogs with white markings are domestics that have been released or one generation removed from some that were. Therein lie's part of the problem. While some landowners are trying to eliminate feral hogs,others are releasing domestics. An old sow might bring $200-$350 at auction and old boars even less but some people pay upwards of $1k to shoot them in the wild. Jazzaxes buy culls at auction to release. That's why some in trap look like domestics. Hampshires and Poland Chinas don't turn solid black in the wild but black Eurasian blood dominate's when interbred. Anyho,a strong metal pen with root gates will last much longer than a Pig Rigg and is simpler to relocate.

like this

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #18  
My brief encounter with Ferel Hogs was short and fortunate. We didn't have them in the hundreds like some folks do. I had a buddy that made a trap from unistrut and hog panels he could break down and move so he brought it out for me to bait and monitor. I got 5 the first week and a few later on.

I failed to trap the matriarch and last I saw her she had another litter. She was trap smart to begin with and I guess the ever looming risk of her young being trapped made her move on.

My friend was slow to retrieve the trap after it was no longer needed and the wife tired of looking at it but it worked out for everyone involved. My hog problem moved on and we all got some meat out of it.

View attachment 724563
They will be back. It may take awhile but the frequency will increase over time. Once you have feral hogs you have them for all time.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #19  
At first impression and "on paper" that Pig Brigg system look's great but it has a serious flaw. In the final 10 secounds of video where guy drove up to begin killing them,that is a bunch of tamed hogs. Feral hogs act like this when gate slam's or they see you coming and that netting would be torn up after the first catch. Notice the trap shy pigs in the vid I posted. Any that are in the vacinity when those gates slam will never go near the trap much less go inside. That trap is strong and work's well but could be improved with softer closing gates. The hogs with white markings are domestics that have been released or one generation removed from some that were. Therein lie's part of the problem. While some landowners are trying to eliminate feral hogs,others are releasing domestics. An old sow might bring $200-$350 at auction and old boars even less but some people pay upwards of $1k to shoot them in the wild. Jazzaxes buy culls at auction to release. That's why some in trap look like domestics. Hampshires and Poland Chinas don't turn solid black in the wild but black Eurasian blood dominate's when interbred. Anyho,a strong metal pen with root gates will last much longer than a Pig Rigg and is simpler to relocate.

like this
Everyone likes their trap best. That’s ok. It takes all kinds to combat the hog problem.

One statement is spot on. People add to the problem by releasing hogs and transporting hogs to release. Don’t ever do that. There are enough and always will be.