Few gravely questions.

/ Few gravely questions. #1  

rlphoto

Tractor
75 C8 super, 65 LI custom, 84 wheelhorse 3-12, 57 Farmall 230
Hello again. Got a few more questions on the gravelys. I figured out that my LI powertrain is a 59, or parts of it, serial M39493. The rest of it is a mid 60s custom. Aluminum carb, aircleaner, ect... the guy I bought it from handed me a rounded aluminum serial plate when I bought it. The tractor was repainted and the serial plate never reattached. But I cannot see and holes where it used to be. Maybe they got filled. Dunno. No Serial on the lower left case.

Doesn't look to be much difference in the motor and drive train from 59-mid 60s, anything worth mentioning?

My hood wont stay up and the end of the hood is dented in from PO forcing it to stay up. I would like the hood to stay up. 59 was not designed for a custom hood. I guess I just neatly wack a (V) in it like the old hoods?

There is no governor on this tractor. Why is this and do I need one? how hard is it to find and install?

Richard turned my carb around in one day and I will be getting it back soon. I would like to flush out the crankcase with kerosene or something while I am waiting and change the oil. is there a procedure for this?

/ Few gravely questions. #2  
Well I don't have a running L ( got a non running one though ), Mine dosen't have a governor either, if I remember correctly they were an option for the early ones. They aren't necessary, but you have to keep fiddlin with the throttle, more gas, less gas depending on the load placed on the machine. You can find them on evil-bay, Richards or Antrams.

/ Few gravely questions. #3  
Randy-

It's common these days to have a "mixed breed" machine. As things wear out or need replacing people get parts from any year machine that will work. They are not building show queens so it doesn't matter. Got a pic of that serial plate ? The govenor, hitch,and remote pto were all options. I think a govenor is a necessity. It protects the engine as well as makes it easier for the operator to use the tractor. You can still buy it new ($300) or you can go used on e-bay. It's easy to install but a little tricky to set up if you've never done it. To flush out the tranny I would remove the axle and at the same time check the oil pick up screen. - Kris

/ Few gravely questions. #4  
I took the hood off mine. You might think weeds, seeds, etc. would get in around your engine, but I've never had a problem with that, and I do mow a lot of brushy stuff. I think it's more for looks than protection. And it might encourage one to leave the machine sitting outside (not such a good idea).

And I bypassed the governor on my machine, too. I think it would be handy when mowing large areas of short grass, but I found it didn't respond fast enough for the kind of work I do (especially plowing). We had two machines, one with and one without the governor. The new machine (with the governor) seemed to allow the machine to get bogged down. Perhaps it wasn't adjusted right.

Kris mentioned the remote PTO control. I do think that is useful, especially when using a cutter bar. It serves as a quick way to shut the implement off. If you have one, and it seems to bind up, read the service manual. The oval block that sits on top of the PTO housing has two bolts holding it on. They must be tightened in the right order or you will experience the binding.

/ Few gravely questions. #5  
TedLaRue said:
it might encourage one to leave the machine sitting outside (not such a good idea).

Not a good idea at all.

TedLaRue said:
The new machine (with the governor) seemed to allow the machine to get bogged down. Perhaps it wasn't adjusted right.

Sometimes the nut loosens that holds the bracket that the govenor is mounted on and the result is the fan belt is not driving the govenor pulley properly, thus the govenor is not working. You have to make sure the pulley for the govenor has good pressure on the fan belt!

TedLaRue said:
Kris mentioned the remote PTO control. I do think that is useful, especially when using a cutter bar. It serves as a quick way to shut the implement off.

I personally wouldn't use a 2 wheeler without the remote pto or govenor for that matter. - Kris :)

/ Few gravely questions. #6  
Sometimes the nut loosens that holds the bracket that the govenor is mounted on and the result is the fan belt is not driving the govenor pulley properly, thus the govenor is not working. You have to make sure the pulley for the govenor has good pressure on the fan belt!

I may take another look at that governor. It's still on the machine, I just bypassed it with a throttle cable. That was about 30 years ago! From what I remember, the governor was like the cruise control on your car. Great for cruising, but not so good in downtown driving. The work I use the Gravely for is more like downtown driving. I use a riding machine for fields and yards, and the Gravely for all the grunt work (plowing gardens, mowing up under orchard trees, pond banks, etc.). But I may give it another try, now that I'm older and less of a hot-rod mower. :eek: