Field cars

/ Field cars #22  
Yesterday, my son recruited me (and my 2500 with a trailer) to retrieve a $500 - 2000 Chevy Silverado that had been sitting in the grass for 8 years with a busted windshield. The frame is rusted so bad it looks like it's made of brown dust.

After we put air in the tires and nothing else... would you believe we hit it with jumper cables and the dang thing sputtered to life enough to drive onto the trailer?

8 year old gas and the windows were so browned over he had to look out the door to drive it. He said the A/C was working. Ha!

Now somebody's going to have to mow that spot!

/ Field cars #23  
deleted

Last edited:
   / Field cars
First Field car also Model A Ford… good clearance, torque, gear ratio, mechanical brakes and gravity fuel tank all pluses.

Restored it so my new field car the last 25 years is the Samurai…

Be careful with Durango… brother bought new and excellent condition until the morning it gernaded…

Known issue with 5.7 Hemi and water pooling on intake manifold sucked into engine at start up through faulty gasket…
Mine has the V-6. Everything works good on it except for the AC and the back hatch. The latch is rusted out on the hatch and I use a bungi-cord, to the hitch reciever, to keep it closed.

It also has a slow electrical draw, so I need to disconnect the positive terminal on the battery to prevent discharge after each use. I put a 3/8 open end wrench on the keychain for that job. My buddy just picked up the old truck camper that he traded it to me for:
BDE28445-549D-47ED-A8B4-65B45F96C0BE.jpeg

/ Field cars #25  
This belongs to a farmer in the area. It broke down and I saw it in a church parking lot one day. Looks like it had fuel problems judging from the tools and filters setting on it. No one was around and it was gone a couple of days later.
Not sure what the attachment on the front is, but when the hood is closed, it swings up and attaches to a couple of tabs sticking out through the hood.
Made by Oshkosh and Cummins powered.

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_135309645_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20220518_135309645_HDR (Medium).jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20220518_135317736_HDR (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20220518_135317736_HDR (Medium).jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220518_135354115 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20220518_135354115 (Medium).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220518_135432803 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20220518_135432803 (Medium).jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 97
   / Field cars #26  
I put a 3/8 open end wrench on the keychain for that job.
Why don't you just buy and install a knife switch disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery? I have them on my farm tractors as a theft deterrent but only takes a second to remove the battery from the circuit and render the electrical system inoperative. Auto Zone has them, so does Amazon. About 15 bucks.

/ Field cars #27  
This belongs to a farmer in the area. It broke down and I saw it in a church parking lot one day. Looks like it had fuel problems judging from the tools and filters setting on it. No one was around and it was gone a couple of days later.
Not sure what the attachment on the front is, but when the hood is closed, it swings up and attaches to a couple of tabs sticking out through the hood.
Little overkill for a farm only vehicle. HD Sparks on YT has one with a wrecker body on the back for recovery work. I believe they were / are built for the military and probably sold as excess military surplus. I'll stick with my Suzuki Samurai...lol

/ Field cars #28  
It looks like a home made brush guard in progress.

Last edited: