Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,401  
so you have solar panels on your roof?
Yes, my previous home. 52 panels. Not fun, but its one of those things you do, like snowblow driveway etc. but since I was collecting sun, I might as well.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,402  
unless it is cold weather and more than 3" or so. (just a guess)
but once you clear the bottom, they heat themselves.

More than 6" or so, (once again a guess) it hangs up at the bottom due to gutter. But, yes, it does slide off.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,403  
... They don't work well for the fry. ...
Oh, I don't know about that. I think ALL fish work well for "the fry". Just use some cornmeal and maybe some good fish fry seasoning! 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,404  
unless it is cold weather and more than 3" or so. (just a guess)
but once you clear the bottom, they heat themselves.

More than 6" or so, (once again a guess) it hangs up at the bottom due to gutter. But, yes, it does slide off.
I don't have solar panels but the work just to shovel off deep snow was plenty for me.

I live at a higher elevation and snow stays longer and can get deep in a short time. We have "seasonal" weather and patterns but sometimes it just stays cold. 2-3 inches or maybe some melt during the day is never a problem but when it freezes overnight it's a whole new ball game.....Even some melt from the roof goes into the gutter that often gets packed with snow and then freezes into a solid ice dam. When it gets this bad you just hope for a change in the weather. One night I went to bed with a couple inches on the roof....it snowed all night. Got up before dawn and started shoveling. Didn't measure but over a foot. Before I has done another 3 inches where I had already shoveled.....I have a ranch style home with a modest pitch to the roof, so that doesn't help. I have a snow rake but to tell you the truth my poly snow shovel actually worked better on the deep stuff. Easier to maneuver around the roof vents and if you keep a little snow and ice underneath and it slides like a sled.....that packed snow can get real heavy. Lot of work without the panels.

My "not so next door" neighbor who works remotely for a tech firm in silicon valley, has all the latest that money can buy. He had solar panels installed and they had this framework underneath that supported the panels. The weight of the snow broke some of the frame. Sometimes the snow froze to the surface of the panels. He told me several panels had cracks but didn't say from what.

also if you have conifer tress (big tall ones like Douglas fir) the sun gets so low in the winter they shade your home from the sun. Leaves in the fall, wind debris,moss etc. Solar panels just aren't practical for me, but to be honest I have a a particular bias against them in the first place. Also I have plenty of other things to fix.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,405  
In decades past we used a roof rake all winter long. Haven't had to use it but once in the past 5-6 years.
One thing about the weather it changes....for the past 3 to 4 years my area has been colder but later into the winter and into spring. Snow pack is above normal again this year and California has had the most snow on record this past winter and into spring....Last year it snowed a over a foot in one night on April 15th. This year several days in late march and early April with intermittent snow. Still seeing snow in the 3,000 to 4,000 foot range. Been 5-10 degress colder than normal for almost all of February March and April.(whatever normal is) May 5th still well below normal. I'm still burning my wood stove on occasion. Started it again today.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,407  
I used to start ice fishing between Thanksgiving and Christmas and fish until the end of March. Now I'm lucky to get on by the 2nd week of January and fish until the end of February. I've lost 2 months of ice on average in my 54 years of ice fishing. This was the first year I haven't had safe ice in those 54 years and did not get to go ice fishing. Even though it snowed 3 days last week in April and the first day of May. It was the 2nd coldest start to May on record, yet not cold enough to sustain safe ice all winter.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,408  
We all know it’s a warming period, but since similar warming periods occurred before man was significant on earth, how can we spend trillions on “green energy” and blame it on man or fossil fuels?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,409  
I would have loved to see the shad fish run on the james River before it was dammed. Sounded pretty amazing.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation
#1,410  
Back to the original topic. More info. This is what we have been told by people who were first approached by the company and turned them down more than a year ago.

This is the first Solar Farm installation for this company in the U.S.. They are a Denmark based company that is owned or somehow tied into a Chinese firm. Or so we have been told. They have approached several land owners in the area who flat turned them down after looking over the contract or taking it to lawyers.

After advice from a retired legislator we are starting a letter writing campaign to state and local politicians.

RSKY

Status
Not open for further replies.