Ballast Filling tires for added wieght

/ Filling tires for added wieght
Thanks guys, as of now its in the teens for as temp, its been that way for a few days, but other than that it dont stay that way very long at all. as per tire chart i found on the internt, each tire will had about 61 gals. I was going to block the axle up and fill the tire on the tractor, as someone said before it might be a two or thee man job, mind sounds like a three man job, so i am trying to keep it simple. I thought about putting about 5-7 gals of antifreeze in each tire, maybe that will help some on the cold and corrosion inside.

/ Filling tires for added wieght #12  
I always thought for anti-freeze to work properly it had to be a 50/50 mixture. Thus 60 gals. with 6 to 7 gal. added per tire is not a 50/50 mixture. And also if it has been in the teens where you live for several days that would be enough cold to possibly blow out a tire due to freezing . Just my opinon. zman

/ Filling tires for added wieght #13  
I think your mix of 6-7 gallons should work fine for you. The solution may do some freezing, but it will just be a slush and not a solid block of ice.

The 50/50 mix takes the freezing point down around -20 deg F, and that wouldn't be needed in TX (well this year anyway :) ) When the ice age comes back, maybe.

/ Filling tires for added wieght #14  
Thanks guys, as of now its in the teens for as temp, its been that way for a few days, but other than that it dont stay that way very long at all. as per tire chart i found on the internt, each tire will had about 61 gals. I was going to block the axle up and fill the tire on the tractor, as someone said before it might be a two or thee man job, mind sounds like a three man job, so i am trying to keep it simple. I thought about putting about 5-7 gals of antifreeze in each tire, maybe that will help some on the cold and corrosion inside.

For years I've had just plain water in my tires. I'm just about 100 miles east of you and the weather we had this past weekend is definitely not the norm as you know. Before that front came through I drained some water from my tires and added some antifreeze I had laying around. My tires are a lot smaller than yours... I think mine hold about 20 gallons. I only added a gallon of antifreeze to each tire but that apparently was enough to keep them from freezing. The tractor stays in an insulated garage but not getting out of the 30's for days in a row and lows around 16 at night.... it was still quite cold inside. I would think 5 gallons in each tire would do you fine.

/ Filling tires for added wieght
i was told it woud be slush when temps get that low, and my tractor stays in an insulated shop when not in use, but still gets cold inside. and yes i would hate to bust out a tire, that would be bad, thats why i like this form, get differnt ideas from everone. Need to fill the tires soon, i just added a new ML-265 loader and now i see what everyone is talking about when having a load on the front and the rear wheels want to spin alot.

/ Filling tires for added wieght #16  
The pink/orange RV anti freeze is available at any RV place, and up north, at WalMart. A gallon of RV anti freeze per 5 gallons of water would lower the freezing point into the high teens, which for you all, would serve you well.

Up here, we have to run straight RV anti-freeze for protection, as we face -20 possibilities, rare, but possible.

RV anti freeze is non toxic. Safe for plants, ground, ground water seepage, pets, dogs, and live stock.

Automobile anti freeze is just so dang toxic and nasty. RV anti freeze is also cheaper. Give it some consideration.

/ Filling tires for added wieght #17  
Rim Guard is a real good solution. it will not rust your rims and it would be the only thing you ever need to put in the tires

Here is a toll free number to call and find out where your local representative is located 1-866-792-3700

as for the other choices forget them.

Charlie

/ Filling tires for added wieght #18  
Can anyone tell me where i can buy a drum of washer fluid. I live in the Houston area.
:confused:Why not just use water. Its easiest, cheapest, most available, most flat friendly, heavier than washer fluid. You dont have enuf cold there to be a problem.
larry

/ Filling tires for added wieght #19  
.......... and yes i would hate to bust out a tire, that would be bad, ..........
Freezing won't bust out a tire. There is enough give in the rubber to take any minor swelling from ice. So worst that can happen if the water freezes, is a thump - bump ride. If that would happen, I'd just not use the tractor until it warmed up. :)

But a bit of anti-freeze will leave you with a slushy, and that will just slosh around and not give you any problem with normal use.

/ Filling tires for added wieght #20  
A 3PL counter weight is a far better option than filling tyres/tires as it uses the rear axle as a Fulcrum point and multiplies the weight because of the leverage . Tyres with the same amount of weight added do not give the same amount of counter balance a loader requires . Some will not be able to use the 3PL weight because they have an implement on the back , but if not they are the way to go . They also lessen the load on the front axle where as filled rear tyres do not .