Finally broke down and bought one....

/ Finally broke down and bought one.... #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Been agonizing over buying a new impact wrench, one with mega beans and the Torque channel formented my desire.

Just ordered a Astro Pneumatic model 1984 Onyx Thor 1/2" air impact. It's the hardest hitting 1/2 drive impact made today. In reality is has 3/4 drive torque specs. Almost 1000 foot pounds in right hand drive (bolt tightening) and 1250 in reverse. I own an IR thunder Gun and have for years but the Thunder gun don't even come close with 650 lb ft in right and 800 in left. No 1/2" air impact even comes close. It's an air hog at 6.5 Cuft a minute at 135 which is what I run my shop air at. She will take up to 175 PSI if necessary.

Easily capable of mounting and dismounting bud style truck wheels and everything in between and it's made here in America just like my IR is.

Had to order it, ordered it from Summit Racing with a 10th of next month ship date. Summit was also the least expensive at 180 bucks, tax included is what I about paid for the Thundergun 5 years ago.

The Thundergun has busted a few impact sockets in it's day including a couple Snap On, a few SK Waynes and a few of the old domestic made craftsman impact sockets. I haven't broken any of the HF impact sockets yet but I have a feeling the Thor will test them to the limit. I do a lot of snow plow wear edges and large excavator bucket work and the teeth on those buckets require a wrench with serious beans to bust loose. Barring socket failure I think I have the right impact for the job. Time will tell but I feel assured I'm getting the ultimate 1/2" drive nut buster.

I own a 1" drive IR as well but it's so big and cumbersome, it's actually hard to use. The Thor is the same physical size as the Milwaukee cordless 1/2" drive with 3 times the beans.

/ Finally broke down and bought one.... #2  
Which Milwaukee cordless impact are you comparing it to? ... the high torque 1/2" one runs 1000 ft-lbs fastening, and 1400ft-lbs breaking -- of course that one is almost 2X the price for the bare tool too 😢 (as well as being heavier)

Just curious as I've been considered adding a few pneumatic tools to my collection (mostly because they're usually cheaper than cordless and won't overheat the way some cordless ones do ..especially when run long & hard).

/ Finally broke down and bought one.... #3  
I really needed a good 1/2” impact gun and ended up going cordless Milwaukee and man am I glad I went cordless! I’ve taken it to the field I don’t know how many times for tire changes or similar haying “emergencies

Still on the hunt to justify a pneumatic but I’ve only had one the Milwaukee wouldn’t bust so far and that one ended up breaking with a cheater bar so not sure anything would have freed it up short of heat and time. So the accountant probably won’t release the funds for another anytime soon:cry:

One other note I know Milwaukee has two (three now?) different M18 1/2” drives of varying power so bigger is worth a few bucks. Think DeWalt is similar.

/ Finally broke down and bought one....
My only comment is go watch the You Tube channel on them and decide. They did a side by side comparison for left hand and right had torque using their dynamometer and the Thor came out at the top of the pack and it's a lot less than a Milwaukee. In fact, my IR Thundergun 1/2" drive cost me more.

They don't compare cordless to corded, only air to air. Comparing a cordless to an air tool isn't fair anyway.

I find personally that Milwaukee cordless tools are way over priced and most all are made offshore anyway. The Astro Thor is USA made as is the IR's.

Problem is, you won't use the Thor or the IR except in the shop (with a suitable CFM air supply) unless like me, you have an engine drive welder capable of running a substantial air compressor, which I have both of in the back of the truck.

Like I said, Summit has them for 180 bucks, shipping and tax included but they are special order so if you are in a hurry for one, you need to be patient. The least expensive seller on Amazon is over 250 bucks. Not doing that. That is gouging.

/ Finally broke down and bought one....
The Thor uses a unique full floating air motor with oversize ports and a very conventional twin hammer impact mechanism but the anvil axle is substantially thicker than the average 1/2" impact and I presume it's a lot louder too with the oversize ports and the 6.5 CFM air consumption. Lots of air going in equals lots of exhaust air noise too.

When I get it, I'll put it to the test on a wear steel on a snowplow provided I don't split an impact socket doing it. I've said before that I have really good luck with the HF impact sockets, haven't split one yet and I've split everything else including the fabled Snap-On impact sockets plus I have a bucket off a mini ex that needs a complete set of grouser teeth installed and the hold down bolts are extremely ugly and corroded, probably to the point where I'll have to gas axe them off any way. Don't believe there is enough 'meat' left on the nuts for a socket to engage.

The HF impact sockets take the beans no issue and the price is fantastic plus the lifetime guarantee. Kind of wish HF offered a bud wheel reversible impact socket but they don't so I've been using a Williams Tool double ender with my 1" drive IR which produces substantially more beans than the Thor does (1800 pounds feet in reverse and 1500 forward) but weighs 4 times as much and is very hard to handle, even with the D buddy handle.

Probably could have gotten by with not buying one but for 180 bucks delivered, the price was too good to pass up. I wasn't about to pay 250+ for one.

Wicked wrench in a compact package and lightweight, but again, you need a substantial air supply to run it. I have that in the shop. My main compressor is a Sullair screw compressor with a Champion 10 horse reciprocating vertical unit as backup. I can do 175 psi continuous at up to 10 CFM no issue but I keep them throttled down to 135. The lower the head pressure, the less heat and condensation produced and the longer they last too. Shop is plumbed in 100% black iron 1" diameter mains, 3/4" drops with condensate drains on each drop and an IR refrigerated dryer on the main feed plus 2 100 gallon static receivers. I use a lot of air as I prefer air tools over anything else.

/ Finally broke down and bought one.... #6  
Since I got my Milwaukee cordless and it's 1200# of removal and over 900# tightening I haven't used my pneumatic wench 10% as much.