Finally building a tower blind

/ Finally building a tower blind #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I've been wanting to do this for several years now. Especially after following Eddy and Roberts threads. I'm usually too busy during spring and summer with work and hate to build it during the fall and winter when i like to hunt. This year my daughter who is 6 went hunting with me for the first time. She only made it about 40 minutes in the cold. It was still great to take her along and made me decide to go ahead and get it started this winter.

Right now my plan is to build a 10'x7' tower blind with the platform at about 8 feet high. I've got 3 kids ages 3, 6, and 7 so I wan't to make it big enough to at least get everyone inside if they all want to go.

I'm going to try to build as much as possible in my shop. I plan to build everything inside, then break it down and move to the site for final assembly. I plan to move the tower and floor to the site, then stand up and set as one piece. I'll build the walls and move them individually so that all I have to do is stand them up and nail in place. I'm thinking my only option for the roof is going to be to build it onsite. This leads me to my first question. What type of roof?

My thought was to build pre-built trusses and use metal instead of shingles. I'm thinking this would be much easier and faster to assemble onsite. Any ideas or suggestions for the roof? Comments, suggestions, criticism on any other aspects of the project welcomed.

Jeremy

/ Finally building a tower blind #2  
Jeremy,
I just finished mine a week before deer season. It is an 8'x8', 7' ceiling and a lot bigger than you would think, also works out great on materials. The top I used 2"x4" standard construction and lag bolted to the floor. Mine is 13' base and built out of 3"x3" steel with 6" purlin as trusses, then covered in 3/4" plywood.

For the roof, I could have went "fancy" but ended up using 2x4's on hanger flush with the wall at the top, then decked it with OSB, felt and tin. So far I have been in winds gusting to 30mph and you wouldn't know it if you didn't open a window.

/ Finally building a tower blind #3  
We built a monster of a tower stand 2 years ago. It's basically a 8'x8' box with the floor being 17' up.

The pre-build idea is the way to go, as that is what we did with the walls & openings.

For the roof we just went with a simple angle roof of metal. Three things that we should have with the roof. First more over hang, as this will help keep the rain out, and help keep the openings in the shadows. Secure it better, it has not blown off, but there are spots that want to lift. Insulate it.

A couple of suggestions.
For the floor put some rubber horse stall matting down, this will help keep the stand be quiet, and warmer. There are several thickness of matting out there, I'd use a thinner one, as the thicker ones are heavy.
Paint everything, maybe even paint it before final assembly.

/ Finally building a tower blind #4  
JK96, I built my son a permanent stand in the ozark, at 10 feet, to sit on.. It was not tall enough for the location, and somehow the deer avoided the area after? !5 feet works so much better there..If your putting up a house on it ,it might work?It must depend on how dense thewoods are there.

/ Finally building a tower blind
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't have the tools required for a metal tower so I'll have to go with a wood tower. Started sketching out the layout this morning. After laying out the box on the floor I think I'm going to stick with the 10x7 size. I don't want to go any wider since I think it would be hard to see out the window behind me. I'd like to be able to sit on one end and see out three sides easily. I have tomorrow off and hope to start on the floor and tower tomorrow.

............Three things that we should have with the roof. First more over hang, as this will help keep the rain out, and help keep the openings in the shadows. Secure it better, it has not blown off, but there are spots that want to lift. Insulate it.

A couple of suggestions.
For the floor put some rubber horse stall matting down, this will help keep the stand be quiet, and warmer. There are several thickness of matting out there, I'd use a thinner one, as the thicker ones are heavy.
Paint everything, maybe even paint it before final assembly.

Great suggestions. I'd like to have openings on all walls. I plan to use some 2'x4' sliding windows for the openings. For the floor I'll use some old carpet I have for now. The rubber matting is a great idea and will probably replace the carpet in the future once it gets too nasty from dirt and mud. I also never thought about the overhang. Great suggestions.

JK96, I built my son a permanent stand in the ozark, at 10 feet, to sit on.. It was not tall enough for the location, and somehow the deer avoided the area after? !5 feet works so much better there..If your putting up a house on it ,it might work?It must depend on how dense thewoods are there.

This will be an enclosed blind so I think the 8' height should be ok. It's going toward one end of an open field and will be used for gun season only. If it were an open platform I would definitely want it higher. I have 3 bow stands on the property and all of them are around 15'. I've been busted too many times in my stands that were around 8-10'.

Jeremy

/ Finally building a tower blind #6  
I read at another site that to use the stand for bow hunting thing of the windows as being tall rectangles instead of wide ones, so that you can elevate if needed.

/ Finally building a tower blind
I read at another site that to use the stand for bow hunting thing of the windows as being tall rectangles instead of wide ones, so that you can elevate if needed.

This one will be primarily for gun season due to the location which is the reason for the wider windows. I'll still brave the elements during bow season.

/ Finally building a tower blind #8  
we had a cabin type stand that was made of steel and winched up from a tandum axle trailor. Over 25 ft tall..Don't know who built it , but it was a good idea, as it was portable and freestanding.

/ Finally building a tower blind #9  
For me, it was easier building the 4 walls and raising with my FEL, (had to have help with the 4th wall).

I know in my 8x8, I can really see good out of the front and one of the sides without moving a little. I have no back window, since I didn't need 360degree view.

/ Finally building a tower blind #10  
Let the location determine the height. I have three box stands and have helped friends build several. These box stands range from 5 to 11 foot floor height. I take a ten foot step ladder to the location and move it to different spots to determine the location and floor height.