Fire extinguisher maintenace

/ Fire extinguisher maintenace #21  
Good thread! I guess I will pitch my 18 year old First Alert extinguishers and give the local fire extinguisher company a call.
Instead of tossing them, take them with you to the fire extinguisher company. Actually, a few of the older F.A. brand extinguishers were made by Ansul and are a quality product. It should cost less to hydro and recharge them than replace. The Ansuls that I'm talking about will be 5 or 10 pound capactiy with steel cylinders and bright aluminum, square-shaped valves.
Here's a pic of a 10# Ansul Sentry. The First Alert will look just like it except for the name on the label:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1007/1449584973_66341591bc.jpg
1449584973_66341591bc.jpg The 5# will look the same, but have bright aluminum handles, and be a bit smaller.

However, if the extinguisher has a plastic valve and aluminum cylinder, it's trash.

A word of caution:
Before disposing of any fire extinguisher, be sure to operate the valve and discharge the contents. Make sure that all the pressure is relieved. If possible, once it's completely empty, unscrew the valve assembly and remove it. The garbage truck driver will appreciate that. ;)

/ Fire extinguisher maintenace #22  
It's obvious, Bigfoot, you've forgotten more about fire extinguishers than I'll ever know! However, good info....I have several extinguishers, will use your info to check them for quality.

/ Fire extinguisher maintenace #23  
Instead of tossing them, take them with you to the fire extinguisher company. Actually, a few of the older F.A. brand extinguishers were made by Ansul and are a quality product. It should cost less to hydro and recharge them than replace. The Ansuls that I'm talking about will be 5 or 10 pound capactiy with steel cylinders and bright aluminum, square-shaped valves.
Here's a pic of a 10# Ansul Sentry. The First Alert will look just like it except for the name on the label:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1007/1449584973_66341591bc.jpg
View attachment 282548 The 5# will look the same, but have bright aluminum handles, and be a bit smaller.

However, if the extinguisher has a plastic valve and aluminum cylinder, it's trash.

A word of caution:
Before disposing of any fire extinguisher, be sure to operate the valve and discharge the contents. Make sure that all the pressure is relieved. If possible, once it's completely empty, unscrew the valve assembly and remove it. The garbage truck driver will appreciate that. ;)

Thats one way. I wonder what a .45 slug would do to one. I shot my old computer a few years ago, that was a good day.

My First Alert has a plastic valve

/ Fire extinguisher maintenace #24  
Thats one way. I wonder what a .45 slug would do to one. I shot my old computer a few years ago, that was a good day.

I think if I were going to puncture a pressurized vessel, I'd consider doing it from a little further back than normal pistol distance...

Also, be sure to have a a video camera rolling when you do it.

/ Fire extinguisher maintenace #25  
I think if I were going to puncture a pressurized vessel, I'd consider doing it from a little further back than normal pistol distance...

Yep, for sure. Here is a pic of one of my .45's that I like using.

Attachments

• PC110004 [].JPG
    PC110004 [].JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 80
   / Fire extinguisher maintenace #26  

I've done it. It's probably not as spectacular as you think, but it is fun, nonetheless. Since there is more powder in there than gas, it pretty much just spews until empty.
Your plastic valve, aluminum cylinder, "el-cheapo" is a little more exciting than one that's made of sturdy steel, since the exit hole will cause more of a rupture in the soft aluminum.
Note: Be safe about it. All the usual precautions: eye protection, nobody near the target, etc. (but I'm sure you know all that stuff)
As you can imagine, the exit hole will be much larger than the entrance hole. And, the extinguisher will have a tendency to move in a direction away from the exit hole as pressure escapes.
In other words, a direct center hit will cause the extinguisher to come toward you.

Yep, we want to see video. :D