Fire extinguishers use on farm???

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #1  

creekbend

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
I am a relatively new member and I have reviewed many threads and posts regarding safety issues. Wondering how many members out there have fire extinguishers on their tractors, in their shops, and other locations on your farm. Thanks for your replies from Creekbend.:tractor::tractor:

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #2  
I do! I have shop size extinguishers (dry chemical) in the barn and in the garage. I keep water near by when welding, and the dry chemical is if I have flammable liquids out (thinner, oil, etc.)

I have a metal trash can for oil soaked rags too.

One of the first things I did was replace the rusted out old breaker panel in the barn, and add GFI breakers for the outlets. Apparently the panel manufacturer went out of business because of fires...

I wish I could put in a deluge system in the barn, but I don't have a water supply that could make it effective, so prevention is the key.

Did I mention that I'm retired Coast Guard? Semper Paratus!

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm???
I have two fire etinguishers on my ROPS attached by brackets, in my shop and sheds, and a metal trash can for combustible rags.etc also. I have water tanks in my barn. Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
   / Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #4  
Have them on the tractor. There is a DNR requirement to have them on or with machinery when operating in a forestry environment in our area. Different ratings depending on the type of equipment. Also just a fine idea in general.

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #5  
my tractors have em.. my trucks have em.. and my barn has em. anything I don't want to watch burn tot he ground has them...

soundguy

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #6  
I am a relatively new member and I have reviewed many threads and posts regarding safety issues. Wondering how many members out there have fire extinguishers on their tractors, in their shops, and other locations on your farm. Thanks for your replies from Creekbend.:tractor::tractor:
I got half my face and neck burnt real bad. Fire scares the pee outta me now.........so it ain't gotta chance.:thumbsup:

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #7  
I have a good friend who sells, and fills fire extinguishers. He has lots of out of date units that we sometimes do unscientific testing with.

There are several things you learn very quickly:

Those 2.5 lb dry chemical extinguishers might make you "feel" safer, but your not going to put much of anything out with one.

The smallest dry chem extinguisher worth having is a 10 pounder.

There is no such thing a too big. It's only too big, if your too old to grab it, and run with it.

The instructions for a fire extinguisher all leave out one important step, HOLD BREATH. If you don't take a deep breath, and hold it, you will probably inhale some of the contents, and you will regret it.

Get in close. If you don't have a 400 lb. Ansul, your only going to have a number of seconds to put out the fire. If your not right up in it, you may as well throw the empty bottle on the fire, and go get some marshmallows.

If you simply cannot fit a 10 lb. extinguisher on, or in the area you want to protect, the only small extinguisher you can really put out a fire with is a halon unit. You can't get "real" halon anymore, (thanks EPA), but there are environmentally friendly halons out there now, that work. The problem here is they all cost well over $100.

Halon is so effective, you can put out a candle on one end of in your living room, standing on the other end, facing the wrong way, with about a one second blast of a halon extinguisher. Halon is a gas, so it is going to be effected by winds, when you use it outdoors.

A really hot fire, like an engine fire, is best put out with water. Anything else may work, but the fire can keep reigniting from the heat, and your probably not going to have a big enough extinguisher to keep putting it out. I discovered this on the highway last year, trying to help a motorist.

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #8  
i'm not a big fan of dousing an oil fire with water... unless it from a fire hose and i'm 30' away..

soundguy

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #9  
I have got a 10lb CO2 extinguisher in the shop where I do my welding, Since I have an O/A torch, I need a CO2 extinguisher. You can get them quite cheep used, I got mine from the fire supply place, it was out of hydro test date, and needed a new valve. I bought it like that for $30, and got it re tested and filled, for another $30, so for $60 I got the perfect fire extinguisher.

/ Fire extinguishers use on farm??? #10  
i'm not a big fan of dousing an oil fire with water... unless it from a fire hose and i'm 30' away..

soundguy

I never suggested that.