Fire pit

/ Fire pit #12  
Looks real nice. I have a small fire pit that I bought several years ago. It's been the center piece at many a get together.

/ Fire pit #13  
Sweeeeeet! (talkin like my children now).
Do you know how long a heavy rim like that lasts when used like this? Are we talking 1-2 years or a decade. Just wondering since I want to put one in where I could not easily redo it (i.e. can't get the tractor in there once I am done with the patio.)

Nice job again. I bet those blocks get just warm enough to be comfortable.
Peter

/ Fire pit #14  
Very..very nicely done.
Wishing many memories to cherish in years to come. :)

/ Fire pit
Sweeeeeet! (talkin like my children now).
Do you know how long a heavy rim like that lasts when used like this? Are we talking 1-2 years or a decade. Just wondering since I want to put one in where I could not easily redo it (i.e. can't get the tractor in there once I am done with the patio.)

Nice job again. I bet those blocks get just warm enough to be comfortable.
Peter

Well.... that rim should last the life of me!!! The old rim we had was an OLD steel spoked wheel from who knows how long ago, sat outside in junk pile for yrs before I cut the spokes out and used it as a fire ring for 5 yrs till this new pit. So I'm not worried about it. I believe the rim is 3/16" thick.

/ Fire pit #16  
Awesome looking firepit! I'm planning on building one soon. I even have the rim already. My father in law gave me a rear rim from an IH MD I hope mine turns out as great as yours looks!

/ Fire pit #17  
Just found this posted on The WHOot forum. I have been looking for plans for an old dryer drum and this looks like the perfect plan! I have found many plans/ideas for old washer drums, but this is the first one I found that I think is "do-able" on my own, even if it's for a tractor tire rim, as I'm a 63yo retired spouse of a USA Retiree. Thank you for sharing!

/ Fire pit #18  
Wish I'd of seen this thread before I built mine. Had plenty of stone, but no wheel for a liner, so I wonder how long the mortar is gonna hold up?

One thing I'm glad I did was dig a trench from the center over the edge of the hill for drainage. Had some perf pipe left over from another job, and just filled washed gravel into the bottom of the pit to keep it from melting.

snow13firering.jpg

/ Fire pit #19  
Wish I'd of seen this thread before I built mine. Had plenty of stone, but no wheel for a liner, so I wonder how long the mortar is gonna hold up?

One thing I'm glad I did was dig a trench from the center over the edge of the hill for drainage. Had some perf pipe left over from another job, and just filled washed gravel into the bottom of the pit to keep it from melting.

View attachment 410333

Very nice pit and awesome view! Man that would make a great post card..:thumbsup:

/ Fire pit #20  
Very nice pit and awesome view! Man that would make a great post card..:thumbsup:

Maybe next year for Christmas, Murph ;)

First time in the four years I've been here that it's actually snowed at the house. Kinda reminds me of winter in Ohio when I was a kid...

HouseSnow.jpg