Firewood business with my son

/ Firewood business with my son #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
My son is 10. I talked to him earlier in the winter about stockpiling some wood this winter to sell next year. I made him the SWEET deal that I would split he would stack and he could keep the money. We started today, got 2 ricks of wood put back, hoping for 4 or more to season all summer for sale in he fall. Right now people are getting $100/rick (face cord) seems like that will be a killer deal if energy costs continue to rise.

The deal is he can use half of it to spend on whatever he wants, the other half gets put into a savings account for use at another time. I think it will be a good lesson for him

He did great today stacking the wood. Mostly pecan and oak with a little black walnut.

KIMG0045.JPG

/ Firewood business with my son #2  
Good for both of you. Teach him the cost of doing the business also. Fuel, chainsaw, sharping etc. And book keeping.

/ Firewood business with my son #3  
My son is 10. I talked to him earlier in the winter about stockpiling some wood this winter to sell next year. I made him the SWEET deal that I would split he would stack and he could keep the money. We started today, got 2 ricks of wood put back, hoping for 4 or more to season all summer for sale in he fall. Right now people are getting $100/rick (face cord) seems like that will be a killer deal if energy costs continue to rise.

The deal is he can use half of it to spend on whatever he wants, the other half gets put into a savings account for use at another time. I think it will be a good lesson for him

He did great today stacking the wood. Mostly pecan and oak with a little black walnut.

View attachment 737192
Good job young man . Keep up the good work .

When one of our sons was about your age he wanted a winter job to make a little pocket money so he bought some weaning pigs and milked the cow 2 x/ day all winter , snow , rain it didn't matter to him . And now for the rest of the story your dad may not want to read . He sold milk to his mother , fed milk to his pigs and his dad bought the feed concentrate - - grain + the alfalfa hay . And you know what surprised me , i never had to wake him in the morning . He has always been a early riser .

/ Firewood business with my son #5  
Great idea. I like the profit sharing plan :)
I did the same thing with my dad 40 years ago. We split a lot of firewood together.
Such a wonderful way to get the kids outside, building muscle, breathing fresh air, the sun on their skin. Healthy, Gods work. We as adults have the responsibility to get the kids outside in mentally, physically healthy activity.
I’ll take a 1/2 cord, no poplar or pine please!

/ Firewood business with my son #7  
I'll put him to work stacking my totes !
Word is a start like that is what lead to George Washington chopping down that cherry tree !

/ Firewood business with my son #8  
Sounds like time well spent. Send him up here, I could use the help.

/ Firewood business with my son
Thank you all for the comments.

If felt good to get this projects started. He has been bugging me about it the last couple of weeks. Which is good, you gotta make them want it, not force feed them this kind of stuff. I think so many great lessons to be had.

@Gee Ray - I am hoping this is something that continues for year. And the life lessons will ramp up as he gets older. Cost of doing business is one of them. We went for an ice cream cone between ricks. I told him he has to buy because I am his employee now and he doesn't pay me enough. :ROFLMAO:

@Hay Dude -You are so right in many ways. He loves to be outside - but he also loves to play his video games or watch videos.

I am proud of him, he did so well. I think once the money hits his palm he will be hooked.

/ Firewood business with my son #10  
Nothing better to get up in the morning and read something important going on in the world.

Your a good dad.
So undervalued, IMO.
Fatherhood and the act of great parenting for some reason, has been diminished by too many of our “leaders”.
It was difficult for me at times, but my kids rarely had any of the video games. They are now spend their spare time socializing, playing sports or studying. Probably the hardest thing was convincing them what is harder to do is actually better for them than what comes easy.

Heres one of mine, 2 weeks ago, still playing outside. Great kid. Loves Jesus and gets good grades. Captain of his team.

1647262309948.jpeg

Last edited: